IGNORED

Football fans and political nerds ...

Leveller

I just wanted to share this thought from Michael Deacon’s sketch in the Torygraph today ....

” Politics is football for the kind of people who were picked last at games. Like football fans, political obsessives support the same team from birth to death, no matter how badly that team performs. They loathe its rivals with a jeering, bitterly personal fury. And they’re convinced that all criticism of their team in the media is motivated by bias”.

The article goes on, but I liked this parallel.

It certainly reflects my online life, with OTIB on one hand and politically inclined friends on Facebook on the other.

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I just wanted to share this thought from Michael Deacon’s sketch in the Torygraph today ....

” Politics is football for the kind of people who were picked last at games. Like football fans, political obsessives support the same team from birth to death, no matter how badly that team performs. They loathe its rivals with a jeering, bitterly personal fury. And they’re convinced that all criticism of their team in the media is motivated by bias”.

The article goes on, but I liked this parallel.

It certainly reflects my online life, with OTIB on one hand and politically inclined friends on Facebook on the other.

Loyalty to one club is the only parallel in my case.

Saying that....some journalists do write some shite about us despite the fact they couldn't find Bristol on the map.........:disapointed2se:

The older I've got, the more right wing I've got. I was a big fan of Tony Benn as a teenager/early 20's yoof. Nowadays, nothing could persuade me to vote for Corbyn. The last ballot paper was deliberately spoiled with "none of the above" written on it. Football? I'm a City fan but will watch other Clubs. I'm s Somerset Cricket fan, I'm a Bath Rugby fan... and if that doesn't suit... well thats all part of life's rich tapestry. 

5 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The older I've got, the more right wing I've got. I was a big fan of Tony Benn as a teenager/early 20's yoof. Nowadays, nothing could persuade me to vote for Corbyn. The last ballot paper was deliberately spoiled with "none of the above" written on it. Football? I'm a City fan but will watch other Clubs. I'm s Somerset Cricket fan, I'm a Bath Rugby fan... and if that doesn't suit... well thats all part of life's rich tapestry. 

Politically I’ve remained consistent as left of centre (I d have no problem voting for Corbyn) but with disagreements over Europe (voted to remain) and attitudes towards farmers (it is the most important industry in the UK). But similarly as well as supporting City, I have a love for most sports (except golf, American so-called football and basketball aka inferior netball). As you say, life’s rich tapestry 

12 hours ago, Jarman said:

Once old Labour , always old Labour .... despised New Labour and Bliar.  Once old City, always old City .... despise Bristol Sport and all its ramifications.

That's far more to the mark.

Political parties stray and you can find yourself no longer agreeing with or even voting for what you thought was "your" party.

Whereas a football club, with a single exception that I can call to mind*, will always have the same name and play in the same general area.  Whatever you may think of Bristol Sport there remains Bristol City playing in red at Ashton Gate.

* Wimbledon relocating to Milton Keynes and most of its fans turning their back on it and even starting up a rival club.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Sadly it would seem Monster Raving Looney are probably the political party with the most parallels with Bristol City.

More like the Lib Dems, one sniff of success and then we **** it up so badly we disappear for a generation.

Archived