IGNORED

Man. Utd womens team

Midred

Having decided to join the 21st century "everyone's " favourite club are creating a womens team. However with the connivance of the FA this team will be parachuted straight into the womens championship, (second tier). So hopefully by 2019/2020 they will be promoted and able to emulate the mens team in -second/third place! :facepalm:

The criteria to join the top flight of the women's game is rather broad and varied. Rich men's teams are the best form of funding for the women's, so it should come as no surprise that they have accepted Man U into the second tier straight off. (They last had a women's side up until 2005 or so, but the Glaziers did not want to revive it.)

West Ham Utd have also managed to jump into the top tier (to face City Women) thanks to the FA's processes. Sunderland have dropped out. It's a clear sign how the powers are trying to forge the game.

Veteran Casey Stoney is apparently about to take that role, but surely Willie won't be far from the action somewhere. Can't believe he will drift off or perhaps go to the men's game. I suspect he was getting a little fed up at City with occupying the poorer end of the league table and the limits that imposes.

16 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Veteran Casey Stoney is apparently about to take that role, but surely Willie won't be far from the action somewhere. Can't believe he will drift off or perhaps go to the men's game. I suspect he was getting a little fed up at City with occupying the poorer end of the league table and the limits that imposes.

I had a chat with Willie about a year ago. Good bloke who knows his football. Has done an exceptional job considering the way the women's team is financed. The Way they work is to give young players the chance which is why Lauren Hemp won young player of the year. As soon as anyone shows quality they are nicked by the likes of Man City

Quite a big uproar in Women's football about this by the looks of it. Sunderland who were in the FAWSL 1 have been demoted twice, despite finishing 7th, for not being able to pay FA the license fee. West Ham also jumped up two leagues as well as Man Utd walking into the second tier. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/28/west-ham-winners-sunderland-losers-womens-football-super-league?CMP=share_btn_tw

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

Has done an exceptional job considering the way the women's team is financed.

I have a real suspicion that the prime reason Kirk has left is the fact that City Women cannot hold a candle to the richer clubs - and hence will be seen as a 'feeder' to them. Plenty of good players if you can pay the going rates, or if not you make your mark as a nursery and watch them drift off. Being a conveyor belt is not much fun.

5 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Quite a big uproar in Women's football about this

The FA have, apparently, given especial thought and reasoning for this reorganisation. Swings and roundabouts? A better foundation for the future, at national and international levels? Time will tell, and there would be plenty with a lot to say if it doesn't produce the results expected. Some clubs have made fantastic efforts to get where they are only to see others take their places.

Local football has also been subject to some fairly radical changes too - the Toolstation League has a few surprises for some unfortunate teams. Appeals are being prepared.

It’s interesting in a way that the only current/recent thread on OTIB about women’s football concerns Man Utd. OTIB doesn’t generally even seem to acknowledge that the women’s team is anything to do with City. We don’t even have a thread about their finishing position in the WSL or the manager’s decision to leave.

31 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s interesting in a way that the only current/recent thread on OTIB about women’s football concerns Man Utd. OTIB doesn’t generally even seem to acknowledge that the women’s team is anything to do with City. We don’t even have a thread about their finishing position in the WSL or the manager’s decision to leave.

I wonder if it's because lots of people think about it the same way I do..

I don't really care about it.

I know that sounds bad, but I just can't get into it. I have no desire to watch the games or learn about it. I've always just seen it as an inferior product to Men's football and doesn't interest me. I know that makes me sound very ignorant, and I feel bad saying it, but it's how I feel and I wonder if there are others who feel the same. 

I only clicked on this thread out of boredom to see why it was still hovering about near the top.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know that sounds bad, but I just can't get into it. I have no desire to watch the games or learn about it. I've always just seen it as an inferior product to Men's football and doesn't interest me. I know that makes me sound very ignorant, and I feel bad saying it, but it's how I feel and I wonder if there are others who feel the same. 

I only clicked on this thread out of boredom to see why it was still hovering about near the top.

Agree. Couldn't give a toss. 

Only end up on this thread because of the Next Unread Topic button. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

How many women post on here?  There's about 3 I think.  Apart from blokes with daughters who play (like me) there isn't going to be much interest on here. Let's be honest it's mostly blokes and mostly at least 30..

The sad thing is that 3 or 4 years ago or so, City women got to the quarter finals of the Champions League.  The club were in a strong position but this wasn't built on and other clubs got some serious investment.  They're now a nursery basically.  If your daughter is a promising player she can go to SGS and do her A levels whilst training with a professional team. 

10 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Agree. Couldn't give a toss. 

Only end up on this thread because of the Next Unread Topic button. 

And thirded by me...dreadful standard and dull to watch/ no interest at all.

the goalkeepers do provide entertainment tho... they make Karius look like de gea

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ditto.

No problem whatsoever with women playing the game, but the exposure it gets is excessive relative to the quality and general public interest.

In my opinion.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

I just assumed that everyone accepted that we had been in the 21st century for a long time! :whistle:

• Admin
3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Not quite true @Leveller but equally this is a forum mainly for the Bristol City mens team, not anything else associated

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Just like men’s football, then..

Yes, but one key difference is there is little to no fee involved.  So having a 'sign them young and develop them' way of working is only being done in this case to run it on as low a cost as possible.  There are no fees to reinvest, but there is a clear pathway at a young age into the highest levels of the womens' game for any young girls from around here (and wider).  

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Yes, but one key difference is there is little to no fee involved.  So having a 'sign them young and develop them' way of working is only being done in this case to run it on as low a cost as possible.  There are no fees to reinvest, but there is a clear pathway at a young age into the highest levels of the womens' game for any young girls from around here (and wider).  

They'd have to be built like Tomlin to be wider?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Ironically I see that Lauren Hemp has now left the club, though apart from the heading the report is a bit crap on the details of where / cost etc ....

image.png

If she came to study at SGS, she is most likely leaving as her course has ended. Imagine she will now have a lot of clubs to choose from or maybe the club near her uni, if that's her route. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Ironically I see that Lauren Hemp has now left the club, though apart from the heading the report is a bit crap on the details of where / cost etc ....

image.png

I don't think the timing of this and the manager leaving is a coincidence....  

37 minutes ago, RedFencing said:

If she came to study at SGS, she is most likely leaving as her course has ended. Imagine she will now have a lot of clubs to choose from or maybe the club near her uni, if that's her route. 

She's in the top bracket already.   She's going to play for England very soon.  Will probably earn a decent wack for an 18 year old.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

image.png

SHOCK NEWS! City women's only decent player had gone to  ................................

Man City.

I was waiting for that as soon as she won her award. Inevitable.

1 hour ago, RedFencing said:

College/Further Education is an important part of the women's establishment generally (our own Grace McCatty left the club to go to Durham, largely to continue her university learning), but the football contracts are generally a lot less complicated than men's and rarely end during the season. Hemp, a 17-year-old with lots of international experience, has signed for Man City and as far as I know has not added any formal education in that move. Seems a clear draw to go to a rich club who recently contested the Champion's League semi-finals.

55 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I don't think the timing of this and the manager leaving is a coincidence....  

Me neither. Sadly, no surprises here. And the obvious thought is that there will be more City players making a move elsewhere before too long. No club announcements as yet about a new manager or player signings either. Early days, of course. The thing is, I don't reckon City have a very great appeal to other clubs' players who have already established themselves; young 'uns may look upon us as a good place to grow, perhaps. It may be interesting to see how the new season is approached after the FA's shuffle of the top decks.

Archived