IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

Bristols finest

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

I knew JL a few years back and he was a genuinely nice guy who I had a lot of time for.

if his tweets are coming across as sarcastic I think it is attempted humour falling short - never struck me as anything but a decent guy to have a beer with. If I had made the surname connection I would have got the *** to buy them too !!

This ^ 

Some of my close family know the Lansdown’s from (very) occasional social contacts. All good eggs and very nice people to chat with apparently. 

Never had the pleasure myself, but if you’re going to the bar I’ll have a bottle of the finest red please.

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

I knew JL a few years back and he was a genuinely nice guy who I had a lot of time for.

if his tweets are coming across as sarcastic I think it is attempted humour falling short - never struck me as anything but a decent guy to have a beer with. If I had made the surname connection I would have got the *** to buy them too !!

Other than the woefully misguided England flag tweet which IMO was deliberately provocative in the face of criticism, I’d agree. I think most of what he does is him genuinely trying to connect with the sort of demographic that frequent twitter and come across as a likeable guy.

Let us not forget that Twitter is a breeding ground for the worst of the worst in terms of insults and general unpleasantness that it’s not surprising that someone’s response to that type of interaction doesn’t necessarily reflect their true character all that well. 

1 hour ago, Neo said:

50 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

This ^ 

Some of my close family know the Lansdown’s from (very) occasional social contacts. All good eggs and very nice people to chat with apparently. 

Never had the pleasure myself, but if you’re going to the bar I’ll have a bottle of the finest red please.

I don’t think many (or any) are saying that he’s a git. I appreciate he may very well be a thoroughly pleasant chap. But he’s hugely unqualified to run a multi-million pound business. I’ve got nothing against the bloke aside from the fact I don’t want him running my football club. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think many (or any) are saying that he’s a git. I appreciate he may very well be a thoroughly pleasant chap. But he’s hugely unqualified to run a multi-million pound business. I’ve got nothing against the bloke aside from the fact I don’t want him running my football club. 

Do you know for a fact that he is hugely unqualified? I’m not trying to defend him or have a go at you but I honestly don’t know. I have no idea about his educational or business background. Whether he went to uni or worked his way up in the world. Does anybody know this or are people just assuming it’s been handed to him on a plate because of his dad?

46 minutes ago, Big C said:

Do you know for a fact that he is hugely unqualified? I’m not trying to defend him or have a go at you but I honestly don’t know. I have no idea about his educational or business background. Whether he went to uni or worked his way up in the world. Does anybody know this or are people just assuming it’s been handed to him on a plate because of his dad?

I understand he attended Southampton uni and studied economics. Not sure what his mark was. 

What I do know for sure though is first hand feedback from people who worked with him at Hargreaves, where he was for a couple of years. Those who worked with him describe him in many more derogatory terms than I’ve seen on this thread. 

So, an Economics degree and a stint working on an investments help desk don’t, in my view, qualify you for management / chairmanship / vice directorate (or whatever position it is this week) of a multi million pound business and important community hub. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I get the sentiment, but it’s hardly a new phenomenon to see the reins of a business handed over to the offspring of the current owner. 

Whether we like it or not (not), it’s not ‘our’ club, in the way we like to think. 

It’s somewhat different to ‘normal’ business though isn’t it. 

If i didn’t think the new owner of Lloyds bank was qualified for the role, I can easily take my business elsewhere. Likewise if I didn’t think the new CEO of Nando’s had any scoobie how to run a chicken shop, I could eat out somewhere else. 

Not with football. It’s a different ‘type’ of business than something that can be picked up through a few economics and management courses. Its very bespoke. Plus, everyone who is interested in supporting BCFC don’t have any choice in terms of taking our business elsewhere. 

So no, it’s not like other business owners handing their firms to their sons. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s somewhat different to ‘normal’ business though isn’t it. 

Actually, not really. Sentimentally perhaps but the reality is very different from the perception. 

The fact that you’re emotionally tied to the club and thus they have a monopoly on your ‘custom’ is by the by from the perspective of ownership. 

In fact it’s because of that rather than in spite of it that Lansdown can essentially put whoever he wants in that role. As you say - the majority won’t or can’t take their business elsewhere. 

Not saying I like it, but it is what it is. If he sold the club then whoever the new owner is would be able to put whoever they wanted in any role too. 

Archived