IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

Bristols finest

3 hours ago, lenred said:

He replied to a comment I made about the new Bristol training kit being called ‘stash’ by their media team saying that it was part of the ‘4 pillars of rugby - stash, lash, cash and you can work the last one out’. Now I may be getting a bit prudish but with a young daughter I thought it was really unfunny and bordering on out of order. Sexist as well and maybe not the message that  BS would be looking to portray. Also having played rugby I didn’t recognise the 4 pillars! 

So what's new? …. On the football side we've been saying 'Mind The Gash' your years, haven't we?  :robbored:

2 hours ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Are there really thousands around the country? Can you back that up? The likes of Manchester United have the supporter base to justify taking their AGMs etc around the country but we do not. What if the club held one up north and hardly anyone showed up? 

It's one tweet, let it go. If he was posting bland 'corporate speak' you'd be jumping down his throat claiming he was just a 'faceless suit' no doubt.

It is not just one tweet, it is symptomatic of underlying problems with BS.  See the many concerns posted not only on this thread but on many others too.

I think you again missed my point about giving examples of how to engage with fans, not what should necessarily happen.  I think the idea cited by Phileas Fogg an excellent one, so would a scheme for those of us too far away to buy a season ticket to get more involved.  How about an Assiciate fan category for exiles?  To be kept informed by monthly newsletter.  This would naturally be at a cost to us, which many would be happy to pay.  A missed marketing opportunity, with added marketing opportunities like an exiles limited edition scarf also available.  Think City and or BS  need to uptheir game tokeepfanbase on side

3 hours ago, lenred said:

It is pretty strange for a club that seems to care so much about attracting new 'customers'! 

Not that either of them would ever have considered doing such things, but you can bet the club would have minded if Adam Baker or Tim Shires had done as Downsy has.

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think his tweets in the past have been deliberately provocative as opposed to misread. I think he's just one of those people that doesn't take criticism well. 

Interestingly, the Bristol Rugby Club twitter account has been winding up a fair few of its fans of late. Any replies it receives that are critical of the name Bristol Bears tend to get some unfunny meme/gif in response.

So it seems there is a culture of this sort of thing across Bristol Sport. Personally, think it's pretty petty and don't know of many other companies/organisations that would get away with treating its 'customers' with such contempt. 

Never dealt with BT, or Vodafone, or GWR or attended your GP?  Funnily enough, like BCFC, they are all more or less monopolies.

8 minutes ago, fatchers said:

Has JL been promoted to Chairman ?  I did'nt know Keith Dawe stood down. Perhaps he should have tweeted it. 

Quite correct JL is vice chair of BCFC and Chair of BS.  Don't think it makes any difference to the thrust of the thread.

When did we last hear anything publicly (and I don't mean a tweet !) from Dawe? He is just a cypher to the two Lansdowns, although it is beginning to look as tho SL is preparing the coronation of the prince in waiting

By the way anyone on here applying for the job of Brand Manager for Ashton Gate Stadium advertised a few hours ago?

18 hours ago, Loon plage said:

The OP was about a Tweet but I can assure you there is a lot of dislike out there for Jon boy.

Or is that dislike confined to a few on here? 

17 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It is not just one tweet, it is symptomatic of underlying problems with BS.  See the many concerns posted not only on this thread but on many others too.

I think you again missed my point about giving examples of how to engage with fans, not what should necessarily happen.  I think the idea cited by Phileas Fogg an excellent one, so would a scheme for those of us too far away to buy a season ticket to get more involved.  How about an Assiciate fan category for exiles?  To be kept informed by monthly newsletter.  This would naturally be at a cost to us, which many would be happy to pay.  A missed marketing opportunity, with added marketing opportunities like an exiles limited edition scarf also available.  Think City and or BS  need to uptheir game tokeepfanbase on side

A monthly newsletter? How twee. That's what the webpage is for....

You fall back on your old standby reply to all and sundry of 'you have missed my point'. I see your point, and it goes along the lines of 'I'm Ivorguy, please treat me like royalty BCFC, as I live so far away of my own volition' 

16 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

By the way anyone on here applying for the job of Brand Manager for Ashton Gate Stadium advertised a few hours ago?

Why don't you apply for the job? You sound like you have plenty of ideas and passion for the club. Plus you can move back to Bristol.

1 hour ago, Icelandic Clap said:

I can't speak for other people on here because I dont know them.

Loads of people I knock about with though. think he's a waste of space, and cocky with it.

I'm sure you have loads of friends who think hes absolutely qualified to hold the position he's in, and that he's doing a stellar job.

Just a difference of opinion that makes no difference whatsoever to silver spoon.

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Loads of people I knock about with though. think he's a waste of space, and cocky with it.

I'm sure you have loads of friends who think hes absolutely qualified to hold the position he's in, and that he's doing a stellar job.

Just a difference of opinion that makes no difference whatsoever to silver spoon.

Is the 'cocky' description of him true or just the perception your friends have of him?? 

None of my mates support City so can't speak for them. He's the owners son, is on the board, that ain't gunna change no matter how much you or your mates think he's a waste of space/cocky/has a silver spoon sticking out his arse. 

Unless he threatens the future of the club (and I'm talking what the Oyston's have done to Blackpool, that kind of thing) I really couldn't give a toss who's in charge/not in charge/being a yes man/holding the puppet strings (delete depending on your current level or mode of outrage).

The one thing that is driving me away from the watching City is the obscene ticket prices, but, as with football in general, it's all about money now in the game. Until the top level implodes, and the bigger clubs either get into trouble or vanish to a Super Euro League, we will never have football as a working man's sport. (looking back, have fans ever been treated well? Crap facilities, fences etc in the 70s/80s, nowadays replaced by sky-high prices, ultra-strict rules and so on) 

A monthly newsletter? How twee. That's what the webpage is for....

You fall back on your old standby reply to all and sundry of 'you have missed my point'. I see your point, and it goes along the lines of 'I'm Ivorguy, please treat me like royalty BCFC, as I live so far away of my own volition' 

Why don't you apply for the job? You sound like you have plenty of ideas and passion for the club. Plus you can move back to Bristol.

I find your replies quite offensive actually. You don't have to live in Bristol to be a fan.  My family have been fans before the club was formed as Bristol City and my Bristol heritage in Kingswood goes back to at least the 17th century. 

As for the job, please read the thread devoted to the subject and you will quickly appreciate that my views are shared by lots of other fans.  At. Age 72 I am still working part time and have no intentions of working full time but am quite happy to give my experience in senior management free if only BS/BCFC were interested in bringing fans on board to help. Sure others with a range of experiences would too.

20 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

His "job" is to represent the wishes of the club's owner on the board and to keep him informed of day-to-day developments at AG.

I doubt he's the "hard-nosed businessman" that an earlier poster suggested he might be, but I even more doubt he is the Dr Evil behind various developments that irk fans on here.

Like Khaldoon Al Mubarak at Man City, and Tom Werner at Liverpool, JL serves as the absentee owner's eyes and ears at the club.

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

His "job" is to represent the wishes of the club's owner on the board and to keep him informed of day-to-day developments at AG.

I doubt he's the "hard-nosed businessman" that an earlier poster suggested he might be, but I even more doubt he is the Dr Evil behind various developments that irk fans on here.

Like Khaldoon Al Mubarak at Man City, and Tom Werner at Liverpool, JL serves as the absentee owner's eyes and ears at the club.

I think that underplays his role, somewhat.

41 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Perhaps, but that's why he was appointed to the board at such a young age, in effect. 

I find his portrayal by some on Otib as some sort of Dark Lord as rather silly. This thread epitomises that. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I find your replies quite offensive actually. You don't have to live in Bristol to be a fan.  My family have been fans before the club was formed as Bristol City and my Bristol heritage in Kingswood goes back to at least the 17th century. 

You don't say? You don't have to live in Bristol to be a fan? Never!!! I'm picking apart your whines about fans who live further afield being 'neglected'. You want everything, and the club will never appease you seemingly. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

As for the job, please read the thread devoted to the subject and you will quickly appreciate that my views are shared by lots of other fans.  At. Age 72 I am still working part time and have no intentions of working full time but am quite happy to give my experience in senior management free if only BS/BCFC were interested in bringing fans on board to help. Sure others with a range of experiences would too.

So, why don't you contact the club instead of moaning on here?!? 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Perhaps, but that's why he was appointed to the board at such a young age, in effect. 

I find his portrayal by some on Otib as some sort of Dark Lord as rather silly. This thread epitomises that. 

It's typical of some fans really, always need a hate figure to fill some strange gap in their lives.

Is the 'cocky' description of him true or just the perception your friends have of him?? 

None of my mates support City so can't speak for them. He's the owners son, is on the board, that ain't gunna change no matter how much you or your mates think he's a waste of space/cocky/has a silver spoon sticking out his arse. 

Unless he threatens the future of the club (and I'm talking what the Oyston's have done to Blackpool, that kind of thing) I really couldn't give a toss who's in charge/not in charge/being a yes man/holding the puppet strings (delete depending on your current level or mode of outrage).

The one thing that is driving me away from the watching City is the obscene ticket prices, but, as with football in general, it's all about money now in the game. Until the top level implodes, and the bigger clubs either get into trouble or vanish to a Super Euro League, we will never have football as a working man's sport. (looking back, have fans ever been treated well? Crap facilities, fences etc in the 70s/80s, nowadays replaced by sky-high prices, ultra-strict rules and so on) 

The perception is based upon reality, for example his conduct before and after the Cardiff game last season.

I know full well that my dislike of him makes fuckall difference to his tenure , as I alluded to earlier. He is untouchable but that doesn't stop me thinking he appears unqualified to effectively run a business the size of Bristol City/Bristol Sport.

As for your second paragraph, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when his Dad passes on or totally withdraws.

No outrage incidentally,just disdain for someone who unfortunately fits the profile of influential people at AG .

Your last paragraph, with respect is irrelevant to our exchange.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

You put him in that category ?

48 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

No, of course not, but those guys do function as the owner's proxy at their respective clubs.

Understood. I think however that a billionaire could afford someone with a pretty good business background who could act as his proxy, and maybe have his son in a position to learn the ropes. Instead he installs his son in an elevated role, who if he was in the marketplace without such patronage, wouldn't surely be considered by any other professional club or reasonable sized business as a board member let alone vice chair.

Such undeserved appointments display a marked lack of ambition in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree with KITR. That’s definitely underplaying his role. He is not there as the “eyes and ears” of his father. He’s there in full capacity and has his hands firmly on the wheel. Daddy still makes a number of decisions but Junior has carte blanche over the majority of goings-on. 

25 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Understood. I think however that a billionaire could afford someone with a pretty good business background who could act as his proxy, and maybe have his son in a position to learn the ropes. Instead he installs his son in an elevated role, who if he was in the marketplace without such patronage, wouldn't surely be considered by any other professional club or reasonable sized business as a board member let alone vice chair.

The final paragraph here is the nail on head for me. When we look at the wider Bristol Sport project, and when we see snippets of the required job criteria in the Brand Manager application, we understand that this is supposed to be a major corporate structure attracting the best people in their relevant fields to push the brands on and make Bristol Sport great. It seems hugely contradictory to me to want to employ the best persons in their field in all other areas of the club, and yet still allow a buffoonish amateur to be in overall control. 

For the record, I don’t think JL is any kind of scheming Dr Evil behind the scenes, I just think he’s hugely incompetent in the role he is expected to fill and this comes across as bumbling, foolish and amateur. I don’t think he’s ‘purposely’ shit, he’s just a natural. 

25 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

TBH I think from some of the cock-ups that have passed by the board shows that you are right, he is very much learning the ropes - and sometimes falling off them!! 

But I imagine that SL might foresee a continuing family dynasty at the helm of City and introducing Jon at an early age is a way to keep this legacy going. Steve is, after all 65, and will not go on forever.

So yeah, he is a learner in many ways, but I doubt some decisions laid at his door by Otib critics have originated from him or would be taken without SL's explicit approval.

I can't exactly feel sorry for someone destined to inherit billions, but I do think being criticised for being "too much of a management suit" whilst being slammed for making a light-hearted jest on Twitter (at the EP's expense, as far as I can see) means the guy just cannot win in certain eyes.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

TBH I think from some of the cock-ups that have passed by the board shows that you are right, he is very much learning the ropes - and sometimes falling off them!! 

But I imagine that SL might foresee a continuing family dynasty at the helm of City and introducing Jon at an early age is a way to keep this legacy going. Steve is, after all 65, and will not go on forever.

So yeah, he is a learner in many ways, but I doubt some decisions laid at his door by Otib critics have originated from him or would be taken without SL's explicit approval.

I can't exactly feel sorry for someone destined to inherit billions, but I do think being criticised for being "too much of a management suit" whilst being slammed for making a light-hearted jest on Twitter (at the EP's expense, as far as I can see) means the guy just cannot win in certain eyes.

Fair dos.

I just think he could have been a bit lower in the food chain whilst he matured and learnt sports "administration" from someone with a very good profile.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I agree with KITR. That’s definitely underplaying his role. He is not there as the “eyes and ears” of his father. He’s there in full capacity and has his hands firmly on the wheel. Daddy still makes a number of decisions but Junior has carte blanche over the majority of goings-on. 

Unless you've sat in on board meetings, we'll have to agree to disagree H as to our opinion there.

Incompetent?  Well, it's hard to argue that some incompetent decisions haven't been taken by the executive, so we might find more common ground there.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

The final paragraph here is the nail on head for me. When we look at the wider Bristol Sport project, and when we see snippets of the required job criteria in the Brand Manager application, we understand that this is supposed to be a major corporate structure attracting the best people in their relevant fields to push the brands on and make Bristol Sport great. It seems hugely contradictory to me to want to employ the best persons in their field in all other areas of the club, and yet still allow a buffoonish amateur to be in overall control. 

For the record, I don’t think JL is any kind of scheming Dr Evil behind the scenes, I just think he’s hugely incompetent in the role he is expected to fill and this comes across as bumbling, foolish and amateur. I don’t think he’s ‘purposely’ shit, he’s just a natural. 

Which one of them are you talking about Harold??!

Just now, Loon plage said:

Fair dos.

I just think he could have been a bit lower in the food chain whilst he matured and learnt sports "administration" from someone with a very good profile.

Agreed.

Mind you - although I've no doubt that these days you can do an Msc in it somewhere - sports administration is often in the hands of happy amateurs. Some work out, others are disasters. It comes down to what @spudski and I often chat about - basic management skills.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed.

Mind you - although I've no doubt that these days you can do an Msc in it somewhere - sports administration is often in the hands of happy amateurs. Some work out, others are disasters. It comes down to what @spudski and I often chat about - basic management skills.

Administration was in inverted commas as of course governments are called such things ! I meant top table stuff

I knew JL a few years back and he was a genuinely nice guy who I had a lot of time for.

if his tweets are coming across as sarcastic I think it is attempted humour falling short - never struck me as anything but a decent guy to have a beer with. If I had made the surname connection I would have got the *** to buy them too !!

Archived