IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd like him as well but not for the supposed £4-5m fee that's been thrown around. 

A goalscorer who has scored over 60 goals in 2  seasons . Lg1 lg2 . 4 - 5 million isn’t a lot for a striker with those stats . Who would you like to see 4-5 million spent on . Out of interest . A young 23 year old with bags of potential or value possibly. Or ?

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

A goalscorer who has scored over 60 goals in 2  seasons . Lg1 lg2 . 4 - 5 million isn’t a lot for a striker with those stats . Who would you like to see 4-5 million spent on . Out of interest . A young 23 year old with bags of potential or value possibly. Or ?

I'd rather use that money to bring in the likes of Harry Wilson or Mason Mount on loan. I feel like we lack goals in the midfield. 

9 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd rather use that money to bring in the likes of Harry Wilson or Mason Mount on loan. I feel like we lack goals in the midfield. 

So you would rather use 4/5 million on 1or 2 loans . Dead money. Rather than spend money on a player who could be an investment. Big no from me . 

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Matty Taylor had a similar league one ratio to Marriott and scored far more than him in league 2. £4m is a lot for any lower league player. 

Taylor 27 goals in 46 games

Marriott 27 goals in 44 games. Both in L1. Main difference being I suppose that Marriott is 23 whereas Taylor was 26.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

We're fairly close then? What are the rest of the bookies saying, I can't look cause I'm at work.

Ipswich being in the discussion is a bit of a joke mind.

He started his career at Ipswich which is probably why they're on there.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Taylor 27 goals in 46 games

Marriott 27 goals in 44 games. Both in L1. Main difference being I suppose that Marriott is 23 whereas Taylor was 26.

He started his career at Ipswich which is probably why they're on there.

Taylor didn't play a whole season in League one. He got 16 in 27 for Rovers before he joined us.

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Taylor didn't play a whole season in League one. He got 16 in 27 for Rovers before he joined us.

Sorry, you're right 27 goals from 46 games was his last season in L2.

Still, I'm not sure it helps your point as whilst it was a decent goals/games ratio it was obviously only 27 games versus 44 so hard to say if he'd have matched it over the course of the season. Agree, they're similar enough records either way.

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd like him as well but not for the supposed £4-5m fee that's been thrown around. 

How much would you be asking for Reid after his one good season from prem clubs? How much would you ask had he had the same season in L1? Marriott is also a couple years younger. The fee sounds about right.

This comes with the territory I am afraid. Afobe types cost 12m and 35k a week. Diony and Fam types cost 5-6m up front and say 15-20k a week. Marriott 4-5m and probably in the 10-15k a week range. Any transfer is risky and we are at the disadvantage of being a 2nd division club in england where most targets are on everyone’s else radar and clubs expect decent sums in return. 

Just seen a Nottingham Forest page tweet this. Makes for good reading. 

Stats in all comps. whilst at Peterborough United:

Britt Assombalonga 33 goals 3 assists 139 mins per goal / assist

Jack Marriott 33 goals 5 assists 129 mins per goal / assist

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@BobBobSuperBob I know you’ve seen a fair bit of him, I’ve only seen highlights type stuff.  From that he reminds me of Pitman in the way he finishes?  Is that accurate?  What’s the rest of his game like....or is it irrelevant because he’s a finisher?

Works harder than Pitman Dave from what I’ve seen but ultimately I’d Class him as a penalty box player , a second striker to play alongside another

As I said reminds me of Adam Le Fondre 

I havnt seen lots of him really but kept an eye on him as from the first time I saw a goal of his he just looked a natural finisher 

10 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

FAD47368-53A1-4C87-B0FB-222EB1DAC763.thumb.png.fd2b848a0838366d0efdb43aa1351421.pngD54645C2-874F-4DCE-9FBA-27178DDA3501.thumb.png.cd3cdf5ec3f3dfeae78e72d7b7429306.png

The figure is incorrect. Does that mean the team is correct? 

That’s how it sounds

@Davefevs - you may of seen it but found this - which gives you a feel for him

Clarifies my impression of him , good finisher , finishes well with decent service but doesn’t often create his own 

Not sure I’d pay 4/5 m for him , he’d be a  gamble at that price that could prove to be genius or a a big miss

Maybe alongside FD he’d be fine , but he would need ‘feeding’

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s how it sounds

Clarifies my impression of him , good finisher , finishes well with decent service but doesn’t often create his own 

Not sure I’d pay 4/5 m for him , he’d be a  gamble at that price that could prove to be genius or a a big miss

Bobby and Tammy, more so, didn’t create their own, still got by very well.

31 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Works harder than Pitman Dave from what I’ve seen but ultimately I’d Class him as a penalty box player , a second striker to play alongside another

As I said reminds me of Adam Le Fondre 

I havnt seen lots of him really but kept an eye on him as from the first time I saw a goal of his he just looked a natural finisher 

This would suggest that's the case.

Dc1OSkRWAAAUz8h.jpg:large

He seems like a decent all round striker from that footage, albeit at a lower level than championship (he even bagged a hatrick against the worlds sixth richest team!) - one thing I noticed on the video is the number of those goals he scores with the first touch and often off balance too. This is a good sign imo, as no matter what level he plays at being able to get the shot away early will make it harder for the goalkeeper and defence than trying to take a few touches.

He also scored quite a few one on ones - could we finally have found a player that is actually clinical in those situations?  (or are we not being shown the six misses that it took to score one like most of our recent strikers  :fear: )

Reminds me of Tony Thorpe judging by that video, no bad thing. Pretty quick too.

The defending at the Mem was a tad comical, he had enough room for a new tent for the 3rd one! 

Lose the silly hairstyle as well. #MOANYOLDGIT.

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Reminds me of Tony Thorpe judging by that video, no bad thing. Pretty quick too.

The defending at the Mem was a tad comical, he had enough room for a new tent for the 3rd one! 

Lose the silly hairstyle as well. #MOANYOLDGIT.

He reminded me of Ian Wright more than Tony Thorpe, but similar to both. 

51 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This would suggest that's the case.

Dc1OSkRWAAAUz8h.jpg:large

Cool. Thanks.  One think I look for in a lower league striker is goals with both feet....

47 minutes ago, cityal said:

He seems like a decent all round striker from that footage, albeit at a lower level than championship (he even bagged a hatrick against the worlds sixth richest team!) - one thing I noticed on the video is the number of those goals he scores with the first touch and often off balance too. This is a good sign imo, as no matter what level he plays at being able to get the shot away early will make it harder for the goalkeeper and defence than trying to take a few touches.

He also scored quite a few one on ones - could we finally have found a player that is actually clinical in those situations?  (or are we not being shown the six misses that it took to score one like most of our recent strikers  :fear: )

.....and then the types.  Is the other foot just a swinger, or is it a genuine confident foot.  In Marriott’s case, it’s not a swinger.  Looks like he will favour his right, but happy on his left.  The other thing is what foot does he control with.  Some players will only control with their stronger foot.  Marriott in one of the last goals in that clip, first touch with left, to manoeuvre it onto his left.  A defender who knows his opponent is one-footed, might’ve easily anticipated the touch, turn and shot, but looks like Marriott can go either way.

38 minutes ago, JamboBCFC said:

Best thing watching the video is I wasn't sure until he took the penalty which was his stronger foot. Looks pretty clinical off both.

Thanks for the video @BobBobSuperBob

The one worry for me is price tag....and invariably Peterboro get the best of the deal. £3-4m sounds right, but you can bet McAnthony wants £5+.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Interesting that McAnthony specified the price was wrong, but left the rest open, suggests some truth in it.

However, he denied Peterborough being interested in one player, shortly before he was announced as signing for the the other day I believe. So not too sure whether anything should be read from it.

He likes a tease on twitter.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

He's said there's another outgoing transfer for them this week.

Hopefully that means we'll know one way or the other about Marriott soon.

Chris Forrester left them for Aberdeen 

Brett Pitman was a favourite of mine so I like the sound of a 'hard working Pitman'.

A natural finisher will score goals at any level if the service is there, though the marking in the Championship, and the improved goalkeeping, will obviously be a challenge to him.

Bit on the short side - 5'8" according to wiki - but still managed 4 headed goals so obviously adept at finding space in the box.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s how it sounds

He won't see much defending like that in the Championship, as Matty found, but natural poachers are hard to come by so well worth signing.

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

He won't see much defending like that in the Championship, as Matty found, but natural poachers are hard to come by so well worth signing.

Agree

And would be my major concern

Interesting you compare him to Taylor as they are not dissimilar IMHO (but Marriot looks to me a more accomplished finisher)

But , he’s looked a poacher / scorer since he first appeared at Luton and plenty like him have carried on scoring as they rise soma difficult call 

So annoying that we could have picked him up for £200-300k max from Luton when we signed Hinds and Bakinson :grr:

At 4/5 million a far more difficult call !!!!

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So annoying that we could have picked him up for £200-300k max from Luton when we signed Hinds and Bakinson :grr:

At 4/5 million a far more difficult call !!!!

If we had signed him then he probably would've disappeared into the same black hole that seems to have swallowed their careers.

I'm still not convinced that we have given a lot of our recent signings a chance. Just go out and sign a load more that Lee decides not to play.

Don’t know too much about this guy but if he’s coming here I think we should give our recruitment the benefit of the doubt.

We have an exceptional record with forwards over the last few years and that seems like one position we get more right than wrong.

Maybe a little early to say that Hinds and Bakinson have fallen in to a black hole. Both players are 19 years old and are 4/5 years younger than Marriott.

Bakinson is heavily tipped to break through this season so perhaps we should reserve judgement before adding them to the list of LJ misdemeanours.

30 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If we had signed him then he probably would've disappeared into the same black hole that seems to have swallowed their careers.

I'm still not convinced that we have given a lot of our recent signings a chance. Just go out and sign a load more that Lee decides not to play.

Nonsense! They’re 19, plenty of time yet...

19 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

wrong post quoted 

what are you talking about,

both signed as ones for the future both played in some cup games and both on the fringes of the first team,

who should we drop for them, Ried and Pack perhaps or maybe fammy and Brownhill?

52 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Go on then who do they come in and replace from the first team.

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Only when we play attack vs defence in training! :)

Let's be honest with the speed of our media department during last year's window when Twitter had people taking photos with new signings hours before we announced it there is every chance he's signed, met everyone, picked his number, gone on holiday and come back, trained twice, moved to Bristol and met a nice Bristolian girl before they announce it! 

6 minutes ago, Alex#40 said:

Let's be honest with the speed of our media department during last year's window when Twitter had people taking photos with new signings hours before we announced it there is every chance he's signed, met everyone, picked his number, gone on holiday and come back, trained twice, moved to Bristol and met a nice Bristolian girl before they announce it! 

don't forget had lunch with Alan Curbishley at the Avon Gorge Hotel

Am I the only one who thinks this signing goes against everything that the club has said about signings over the last few years?

This is not us unearthing a relatively cheap gem from the lower leagues or abroad ala COD, Magnussen, Moore.  Nor is this us signing lesser known but more experienced players like Kodjia or Diedhiou.

whether you agree with those signings or not, the reasoning was clear and fitted with what the club said was our strategy

Marriott looks like us paying over the odds for someone in my opinion. Something we said we wouldnt do.

Bristol City have emerged as favourites to sign Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Bookmaker Bet Victor stopped taking bets on Marriott’s next destination after a flurry of wagers on the 23 year-old moving to Ashton Gate. Dwight Gayle is Posh's record sale. Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony was asked on social media last night (June 5) about reports of Marriott joining City for £4.5 million and he replied, mischievously: “That figure is incorrect as is (the case on) most of these rumour sites.” One report has suggested City have offered striker Matty Taylor as part-exchange for Marriott. City manager Lee Johnson said recently: “It could be that we can’t compete with Premier League finances. You look at players like Marriott at Peterborough and you are talking four or five million for a player in the Championship.” Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have also been linked with Marriott. Posh are demanding a fee in excess of the club record £6 million Crystal Palace paid for Dwight Gayle in July, 2013. Posh paid Luton Town just £450,000 for Marriott last summer, but the Hatters are understood to have inserted a significant sell-on clause around the 20% mark.

Read more at: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-new-favourites-to-sign-peterborough-united-striker-jack-marriott-1-8523197 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bristol City have emerged as favourites to sign Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Bookmaker Bet Victor stopped taking bets on Marriott’s next destination after a flurry of wagers on the 23 year-old moving to Ashton Gate. Dwight Gayle is Posh's record sale. Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony was asked on social media last night (June 5) about reports of Marriott joining City for £4.5 million and he replied, mischievously: “That figure is incorrect as is (the case on) most of these rumour sites.” One report has suggested City have offered striker Matty Taylor as part-exchange for Marriott. City manager Lee Johnson said recently: “It could be that we can’t compete with Premier League finances. You look at players like Marriott at Peterborough and you are talking four or five million for a player in the Championship.” Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have also been linked with Marriott. Posh are demanding a fee in excess of the club record £6 million Crystal Palace paid for Dwight Gayle in July, 2013. Posh paid Luton Town just £450,000 for Marriott last summer, but the Hatters are understood to have inserted a significant sell-on clause around the 20% mark.

Read more at: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-new-favourites-to-sign-peterborough-united-striker-jack-marriott-1-8523197 

Corrrrrrrrr.

I'm actually quite excited. Could end up with the next Gayle, Gray or Assombalonga. They've not done too badly have they?

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Am I the only one who thinks this signing goes against everything that the club has said about signings over the last few years?

This is not us unearthing a relatively cheap gem from the lower leagues or abroad ala COD, Magnussen, Moore.  Nor is this us signing lesser known but more experienced players like Kodjia or Diedhiou.

whether you agree with those signings or not, the reasoning was clear and fitted with what the club said was our strategy

Marriott looks like us paying over the odds for someone in my opinion. Something we said we wouldnt do.

When you consider that Wolves are apparently bidding 35m for a right back and Fulham 25m for a midfield player and Villa quoting 40m for Grealish can 4.5m on a youngish goalscorer from a league below really be consider over the odds? I know we are no longer competing with the first two (for this season anyway) but I would say this transfer would be less than the Nicky Maynard transfer from 10 years ago (taking into account the rate of inflation transfers have increased by in that time) and that didn't turn out too bad

34 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Is it really over the odds though? The market is hugely inflated in this country  

If Kodjia (20+ at championship level) - two years ago - is worth £15m then is £5-£6m for the best end of L1 over the odds?

Goalscorers cost a lot more money than other positions. 

Is £400k over the odds for a 2 bed flat? You’d say so of course but in the context of the market it’s just the going rate. 

As long as we’re recouping market rate for the players that move on it’s all relative. 

I would say signing a proven L1 goal scorer doesn’t go against the grain of what we said we’d do at all. It’s the sort of signing you’d expect a club of our stature to make as opposed to paying 2 or 3 times that for an established Championship striker 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Is it really over the odds though? The market is hugely inflated in this country  

If Kodjia (20+ at championship level) - two years ago - is worth £15m then is £5-£6m for the best end of L1 over the odds?

Goalscorers cost a lot more money than other positions. 

Is £400k over the odds for a 2 bed flat? You’d say so of course but in the context of the market it’s just the going rate. 

As long as we’re recouping market rate for the players that move on it’s all relative. 

I would say signing a proven L1 goal scorer doesn’t go against the grain of what we said we’d do at all. It’s the sort of signing you’d expect a club of our stature to make as opposed to paying 2 or 3 times that for an established Championship striker 

And it's been suggested that Villa want £40M for Grealish!!! Put's that possible fee into perspective in a crazy market!

7 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

And it's been suggested that Villa want £40M for Grealish!!! Put's that possible fee into perspective in a crazy market!

'Want doesn't get' and they'd be lucky to get 15m for Grealish imo.

110 career apps. in 5 seasons, more than half of them in the Championship, plus off field shenanigans does not equal a 40m player!! 

I think people on here are still judging this rumour, Diedhiou's signing and others we've made recently by the value of money in English football 5 or 10 years ago. There's so much money in English football, baulking at a £4.5 million fee for a young striker scoring for fun in a lower league will unfortunately get us nowhere.

As I've said before, why should we care about how much we spend on a player, it doesn't affect us? Sure, it would be nice to know we're making shrewd signings just to know that the club's being run intelligently, but (within reason) I couldn't care less what the figure is if we're signing the top scorer from the League below us, young, two-footed and a poacher, I'm just excited that this could happen.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Want doesn't get' and they'd be lucky to get 15m for Grealish imo.

110 career apps. in 5 seasons, more than half of them in the Championship, plus off field shenanigans does not equal a 40m player!! 

young and english does

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

What price Bobby Reid then, just 2.5 years older?

before last season 200k, after last season 12m, but have to accept half due to him being in the last year of his contract

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

before last season 200k, after last season 12m, but have to accept half due to him being in the last year of his contract

I think people forget how many external factors / situations etc affect a transfer deal. So many factors beyond the sheer ability of the player. 

How much do the selling club want to keep him? How much did they pay? Financial situation of buying club? Squad depth of buying club? Contract? Player attitude to transfer? Pulling power/reputation of buying club vs selling club? Agents and their agenda?

So many variables that comparing Grealish and Reid is impossible. Grealish is obviously going to command more. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think people forget how many external factors / situations etc affect a transfer deal. So many factors beyond the sheer ability of the player. 

How much do the selling club want to keep him? How much did they pay? Financial situation of buying club? Squad depth of buying club? Contract? Player attitude to transfer? Pulling power/reputation of buying club vs selling club? Agents and their agenda?

So many variables that comparing Grealish and Reid is impossible. Grealish is obviously going to command more. 

the play in different positions for a start

13 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Would Mings be 'over the moon' if it was us, rather than say Forest or someone else?

Just think he respects him for his journey. Not sure if Mings has any affiliation with us but as other people have said he’s played for local teams and went to a secondary school in Wiltshire

Archived