IGNORED

Marley Watkins signed - Now Official (Merged threads)

Wayne

He obviously made a mistake when signing for Norwich.

Didn't suit his style of play...imagine realising that at work. you are hardly going to get motivated and revert to going through the motions.

Says our style of play suits him better.

Looking at his stats assessment, strengths... Likes to play short passes, indirect free kick threat, counter attack threat.

Weaknesses... Finishing, crossing and defensive contribution. hopefully he can improve on those.

If we play the same type of football of high press, and trying to pass through the lines, then perhaps he will be a better fit with us.

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Jesz... those Norwich fans ‘references’ make depressing reading. Sometimes you can put aside comments on the basis of fans being pissed off with someone because the player’s quality and going to a rival/previously claimed undying loyalty to their Club/paid massive money and not quite met expectations et al..but they got this chap for free and he’s only been with them a year! When the manager chips in with attitude criticisms it gets more than worrying - ffs as a matter of principle you don’t down tools on any job...particularly one you get eye watering amounts of pay. If you’ve no pride in yourself/ if you don’t give 110% then you can do one as far as I’m concerned and that seems to be what Norwich has told him to do.

Think this could be a make or break close season for the likes of LJ/MA and our scouting team. Last 3 signings have been woeful ... this has all the hallmarks of another Diony-like punt. 

Wonder if Colin is really taking the piss now... ah Bristol,City are interested in a player let’s put a bid in and make them pay £1.5 million for a player that hasn’t commanded any fee previously and make them look like total idiots stumping up big cash. May be Tomlin pay back time for our mate across the water.

I know-im about to be told a million quid is nothing in football terms....

But....Norwich will be pissing themselves making a mil on this bloke.

Not sure about our recruitment, or shape. I hope LJ settles on something that works but he seems to have a fascination with wingers. We tried, what , 4/5 last year? We have ODowda and Eliasson already, now Watkins and we're linked with McGeady. 
I'd love to know his thinking. At least it should free up Brownhill and Pato to play more central.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

He obviously made a mistake when signing for Norwich.

Didn't suit his style of play...imagine realising that at work. you are hardly going to get motivated and revert to going through the motions.

Says our style of play suits him better.

Looking at his stats assessment, strengths... Likes to play short passes, indirect free kick threat, counter attack threat.

Weaknesses... Finishing, crossing and defensive contribution. hopefully he can improve on those.

If we play the same type of football of high press, and trying to pass through the lines, then perhaps he will be a better fit with us.

“Weaknesses... Finishing, crossing and defensive contribution. hopefully he can improve on those.

so basically he not a winger & no good at being a team player?

those weaknesses are alarming 

7 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I know-im about to be told a million quid is nothing in football terms....

But....Norwich will be pissing themselves making a mil on this bloke.

They won't have made a penny, quite the opposite most likely. If he's on 10k a week he's been paid well over half a million, plus benefits, signing on fee, agent's fee, employment taxes...

9 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

“Weaknesses... Finishing, crossing and defensive contribution. hopefully he can improve on those.

^ this. What the **** are we doing!

So basically he can tap it around without being a threat. An older version of Kent at a million quid. Sounds a bargain then.

Struth... I didn’t think we could get any worse in our transfer activities. 

They always say that a manager creates a team in the image of himself. Busy doing nothing comes to mind. 

Something doesn’t sit right about his Norwich spell. Why would a player, who to that point had a strong work ethic and dragged himself up from non league and through Scottish football when he could have drifted, just “down tools” at his biggest club? That makes no sense.

I get the impression he had a poor start for whatever reason (systems, carrying a knock etc) and then couldn’t get going. Strong chance, having read some of Farkes other comments, that he was then thrown under the bus.

Is it an uninspiring signing? Yep. But it might be what we need and skipping training with no effort from the evidence in career to date? Sorry, not having that.

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Haha they won't have made a penny, quite the opposite most likely. If he's on 10k a week he's been paid well over half a million, plus benefits, signing on fee, agent's fee, employers NI... 

I think they're extatic getting ANY fee for him at all, let alone a million quid.

Brings nothing to the table but workrate.....just don't get it as surely the aim is to improve the squad..?............Filler.

7 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Since when have we played with a 'traditional' winger who crosses? Not for a while...it's not how we play.

Our strength last season, was when we played short crisp passes to feet, breaking quickly through the opposition lines. That's his strengths.

Think Brownhill, Odowda, Patto...he's that type of player.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Since when have we played with a 'traditional' winger who crosses? Not for a while...it's not how we play.

Our strength last season, was when we played short crisp passes to feet, breaking quickly through the opposition lines. That's his strengths.

I can certainly see Callum playing much more centrally next season with this signing. He definitely has the ability to do it (recognised by Martin O`Neill recently) and his knack of drawing fouls on the edge of the box will be useful too.

So the likes of Duric and possibly Famara are wasted and likely to be off. Meanwhile we break the bank to keep Reid who fits that style? Ain’t going to happen.

All smacks of muddled thinking to me.. as demonstrated by the second half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

So the likes of Duric and possibly Famara are wasted and likely to be off. Meanwhile we break the bank to keep Reid who fits that style? Ain’t going to happen.

All smacks of muddled thinking to me.. as demonstrated by the second half of the season. 

I'm not sure how you are thinking mate.

What has Famara and Duric got to do with anything?

When have you seen us playing with wingers whipping in crosses when they have played for us?

We never have.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Considering Djuric, Flint , Fammy & Baker size you thought getting someone who can cross into the box was a priority.

He doesn’t contribute Defending that a big ? As if he not a typical winger wtf does he do? Little passes? 

LJ if you read this for 50k a year I put on the shirt & do little passes around the pitch no signing on fee either.

When have you seen us playing with wingers whipping in crosses when they have played for us?

We never have.

As that would be sensible option & good game management.

instead punt the ball up to 4ft Reid and hope for the best

Just now, spudski said:

We never have.

I think the classic was one of the most turgid matches last season against Ipswich. When we spent 90 minutes tippy tappying it around and achieving **** all apart from comatosing the crowd. .

Ok it was Kelly who supplied the cross but the one moment of quality in the entire match. Oh for a Clive Whitehead who can rip a full back to shreads and supply some quality crosses to our centre forwards.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

We never have.

Watching Spain last night I see that as the style of football we are trying to emulate, albeit nowhere near as competently for obvious reasons.

Despite that they still played with a big target man in Costa which complimented the style well. Didn't see them throwing too many crosses into the box!

2 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Considering Djuric, Flint , Fammy & Baker size you thought getting someone who can cross into the box was a priority.

He doesn’t contribute Defending that a big ? As if he not a typical winger wtf does he do? Little passes? 

LJ if you read this for 50k a year I put on the shirt & do little passes around the pitch no signing on fee either.

1 minute ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

As that would be sensible option & good game management.

instead punt the ball up to 4ft Reid and hope for the best

It's not 1978 anymore fella.

So you've quoted some tall players...great if the defenders are midgets. So that theory goes out the window.

I'm surprised a few haven't worked out our preferred system of play under LJ.

It isn't with wingers.

It's a high press, with short passing and movement in and around the box, with high intensity, and at speed on the counter.

You need the likes of Famara and Duric...even with that style of play. They come into their own at set pieces, hold up play, winning with strength bot hin the air and on the floor. Both very capable of scoring with feet.

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Watching Spain last night I see that as the style of football we are trying to emulate, albeit nowhere near as competently for obvious reasons.

Despite that they still played with a big target man in Costa which complimented the style well. Didn't see them throwing too many crosses into the box!

There’s a huge difference in class from the likes of the Spanish National team & BCFC led by LJ 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

So you've quoted some tall players...great if the defenders are midgets. So that theory goes out the window.

It isn't with wingers.

It's a high press, with short passing and movement in and around the box, with high intensity, and at speed on the counter.

You need the likes of Famara and Duric...even with that style of play. They come into their own at set pieces, hold up play, winning with strength bot hin the air and on the floor. Both very capable of scoring with feet.

I think the problem is 99% of opposition managers did work out LJs preferred system and countered it. That’s why the second half of the season was so shockingly bad. 

BTW I thought Duric came into his own by the header from Kelly’s quality 1970’s like cross. 

It isn't with wingers.

It called Plan B, C or even D.

where was the high press game end of the season?

If you got a packed Midfield like Ipswich did then you hit flanks & ram the defence.

this is Championship Football not La Liga 

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

I think the problem is 99% of opposition managers did work out LJs preferred system and countered it. That’s why the second half of the season was so shockingly bad. 

With out a doubt.

why have such a vast collection of players if you not going be able to change plaY to suit the game 

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Hence my comment of not being anywhere near as competent, doesn't mean you cannot approach with a similar style.

Then get a manager in who can do it, not Mr VHS from the 90’s & daft customs lecturing players who are over his abilities.

i think that a lot of the problem, a few these guys have been trained & are at a higher level then he is

41 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure about our recruitment, or shape. I hope LJ settles on something that works but he seems to have a fascination with wingers. We tried, what , 4/5 last year? We have ODowda and Eliasson already, now Watkins and we're linked with McGeady. 
I'd love to know his thinking. At least it should free up Brownhill and Pato to play more central.

Lee is planning to have crossfield passes all over the park. Its going to be a veritable feast of long balls from left back to right midfield and thence to left wing. All of these players, in time, will be wingers. Even the goalie will, in fact, be a winger; how else do you explain the crossfield throws from Frankie? The fact he has not managed to fulfill his winger potential is likely why he is rumoured to be off. City, who get found out when they play their opposition for the 2nd time, will henceforth counter this numpty failure by playing bamboozling crossfield balls from every conceivable position and angle on the pitch. No wonder Diony didn't get it but as for Kent? I have no theory for his abject failure. Perhaps he was bamboozled as well although he wouldn't know it.

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Lee is planning to have crossfield passes all over the park. Its going to be a veritable feast of long balls from left back to right midfield and thence to left wing. All of these players, in time, will be wingers. Even the goalie will, in fact, be a winger; how else do you explain the crossfield throws from Frankie? The fact he has not managed to fulfill his winger potential is likely why he is rumoured to be off. City, who get found out when they play their opposition for the 2nd time, will henceforth counter this numpty failure by playing bamboozling crossfield balls from every conceivable position and angle on the pitch. No wonder Diony didn't get it but as for Kent? I have no theory for his abject failure. Perhaps he was bamboozled as well although he wouldn't know it.

Only possible explanation 

Archived