IGNORED

England v Panama Match Day Thread

wendyredredrobin

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Could they, in theory, pick up a couple of silly yellow cards for time wasting or something and concede the Fair Play advantage to Belgium?

Tactical bookings are unlikely as Beckham is retired now.

Basking in a glorious sunny day and basking in a glorious victory is worth savouring but I feel it's not the end of this tournament just yet. There is plenty of time to reflect that we have only played two games against 'lesser' opposition. Yes, we have two wins and can stop fretting over the last group game, but the real competition will start soon. As usual, the popular story is one of pride and passion (today, at least) and the previous worries and barbs are quickly forgotten - not unlike a certain forum I could mention. Take a more level-headed view and the real picture will reveal itself. England are neither the worst nor the greatest squad, but are always one game away from the roller coaster - we must remain calm and focussed if we are to progress.

40 minutes ago, Super said:

Forget this we want to finish second rubbish, clearly we will try to beat Belgium.

Why is it necessarily 'rubbish' though?

Obviously nothing is decided yet as the final group matches will make a difference to the routes, however, there is a very realistic possibility that finishing second in the group may benefit whoever does so in the long run.

Just now, Coxy27 said:

Why is it necessarily 'rubbish' though?

Obviously nothing is decided yet as the final group matches will make a difference to the routes, however, there is a very realistic possibility that finishing second in the group may benefit whoever does so in the long run.

Because we will try and win the game

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Because we will try and win the game

Depends what you mean by trying to win the game... Would Belgium do this in a crucial match?

"Roberto Martínez has promised to make 'major changes' against England" - The answer is no.

So, therefore how much are they 'trying to win'? Clearly not as hard as they could be.

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

The TV coverage didn't show this, when they cut back to the live coverage they showed 2 Panama players going nuts at the ref, but they didn't show why. . . 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

If they didn’t show that on TV, I’m genuinely surprised. It was hilarious! Panama tried to kick off and charge up the pitch immediately after one of our goals, while our players were celebrating in front of us (and almost all ten of the outfield players were off the pitch in front of us). 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

If they didn’t show that on TV, I’m genuinely surprised. It was hilarious! Panama tried to kick off and charge up the pitch immediately after one of our goals, while our players were celebrating in front of us (and almost all ten of the outfield players were off the pitch in front of us). 

They were showing replays of the penalty, from all the various angles

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondered. :thumbsup:

We most certainly took our foot off and could have / probably should have utterly crushed a very poor side.

It was bloody hot tbf - I can barely sit in temperatures like that let alone run about for 90 minutes 

4 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Depends what you mean by trying to win the game... Would Belgium do this in a crucial match?

"Roberto Martínez has promised to make 'major changes' against England" - The answer is no.

So, therefore how much are they 'trying to win'? Clearly not as hard as they could be.

Of course changes will be made but England will try and win the game. We need to stop worrying about other teams.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

They were showing replays of the penalty, from all the various angles

Understood - but I’d still have expected them to show a replay of Panama attempting to kick off while all our outfield players were off the pitch, given how unusual it was. It was one of the most absurd things I’ve seen at an England game. 

15 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Understood - but I’d still have expected them to show a replay of Panama attempting to kick off while all our outfield players were off the pitch, given how unusual it was. It was one of the most absurd things I’ve seen at an England game. 

The commentator did say they were complaining about how long the England team were celebrating and showed the hairy one, Torres (?) moaning as usual, that was it I think.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The commentator did say they were complaining about how long the England team were celebrating and showed the hairy one, Torres (?) moaning as usual, that was it I think.

The Panamanians were complaining because the referee stopped their cunning scheme to kick off within seconds of the ball hitting the net. Almost as soon as Kane’s penalty went in, they sprinted up the pitch to kick off. 

The celebrations didn’t last any longer than they would for any other goal. 

• Admin
56 minutes ago, North London Red said:

The Panamanians were complaining because the referee stopped their cunning scheme to kick off within seconds of the ball hitting the net. Almost as soon as Kane’s penalty went in, they sprinted up the pitch to kick off. 

I've not been aware of it before this world cup, but there seems to be an emphasis on teams attempting to kick off whilst the other side is still celebrating

There was this odd suggestion a few games back that as long as one player was still on the field of play the kick off couldn't take place - this has now been proved to be nonsense as all the players have to be in their own half before the opposition can kick off again

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

He stopped them scoring 6 times with this cunning scheme, so you can understand why they were not happy.

Obviously a training ground move

2 hours ago, North London Red said:

I totally agree NLR. 

11 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Belgium would do well to remember their “easier” tie with Wales then, and ours with Iceland.

imagine we fielded a “weaker” team in an attempt to “not win” the game but got battered 4/5-0? 

Sorry I really don’t believe that either team will actively try not to win the game. The confidence we would get from beating this lot would be unbelieveable.

Archived