IGNORED

3 at the back?

Port Said Red

Just wondering if the apparently imminent departure of Flint is a sign that the management team are looking to playing a back three and a return to wing backs, or even a 3 4 3? I think you need more mobile and versatile players to play at the back in those kind of formations, so it could be a pointer to what they are looking to do.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just wondering if the apparently imminent departure of Flint is a sign that the management team are looking to playing a back three and a return to wing backs, or even a 3 4 3? I think you need more mobile and versatile players to play at the back in those kind of formations, so it could be a pointer to what they are looking to do.

No idea but out of interest, what 3 would you go for?

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I have no idea, we don't know who will be here at the start of the season. I can only see the same speculation everyone else can.

Ah I meant from our current group. But having tried it for myself, I hope we do sign others because it requires either hegeler, vyner or Kelly joining Baker & Wright. Sounds vulnerable! Suppose hegeler is best option

Don’t think leaving has any bearing on playing 352, no reason you couldn’t play a 3 with Flint in it as the central man. 

I guess on the outlook of having ball playing CBs is all well and good but first and foremost must be able to defend. 

8 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Don’t think leaving has any bearing on playing 352, no reason you couldn’t play a 3 with Flint in it as the central man. 

I guess on the outlook of having ball playing CBs is all well and good but first and foremost must be able to defend. 

Maybe, I think if you watch England you can see how interchangeable the back 3 are, you don't feel they worry about being pulled out of position, I am not sure that is true of Flint.

I also think we will definitely need a more commanding keeper, I have said before that I think that Flint prefers knowing that Frankie will not compete for crosses and he has looked less comfortable with keepers who come for them.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Maybe, I think if you watch England you can see how interchangeable the back 3 are, you don't feel they worry about being pulled out of position, I am not sure that is true of Flint.

I also think we will definitely need a more commanding keeper, I have said before that I think that Flint prefers knowing that Frankie will not compete for crosses and he has looked less comfortable with keepers who come for them.

Wouldn’t say the England back 3 are interchangeable. They stick to their channels as do most good defenders in a 3. 

At the end of the day, I’d like to see us sign a good replacement. Whether we play 3 or 4. The defensive side remains the same.... keep the ball out the net. Then you must look at more technical.

Dont get me started on keepers, I get slaughtered for my opinion of FF

This time last year none of us would have thought Bobby Reid could be a 20 goal striker, and that we would be effective playing a pressing game. 

Our much derided head coach obviously thought that he and we could be, so if we should go with 3 at the back then perhaps it will be as a result of LJ seeing  potential in some of our players ( or will bring in players) that suite this formation?

If we should go with a back 3 then, as cider abroad says, the central midfield becomes crucial and is where we need to be defensively solid as well as providing attacking flair. A 5 man midfield does mean it accommodates 2 wide players, so we are well provided for it that respect, although they will have no direct cover in behind them so need to be able to get up and back.

A 5 man midfield might also make it easier to accommodate Brownhill more centrally, which I think is where most City fans think he is more effective - a central 3 of Smith, Pack and Brownhill is not the worst midfield by any means. 

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I consider that we already have the defenders without any new recruits, to operate a back three or four. 

Wright, Baker, Vyner, Kelly, Moore, Hegeler, Bryan, Pisano. 

Concentrate on central midfield which is where we lack defensive solidity and attacking creativity. 

Seriously, you think we can compete at the upper end of the Championship with that defence this season?

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

a central 3 of Smith, Pack and Brownhill is not the worst midfield by any means. 

A solid midfield for sure and they are all decent players and slightly different as well.  Browning did chip in with five goals but all three lacking significant goal contributions and, to a certain extent, creativity.     If Joe Bryan and BR leave then, with Flint's departure, that's 37 goals taken out of the team based on last season.  So we do need a decent contribution of goals from a midfield five.   I'd like to see us play three at the back but I feel we need to recruit an attacking, creative goal scoring central midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I feel we need to recruit an attacking, creative goal scoring central midfielder. 

Wouldn't we all! Not just us City fans but fans of every other Championship club.

This trype of player are few and far between and when/if they become available then they're expensive in terms of fee and wages.

Its a case of grow your own or dream on....

32 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This time last year none of us would have thought Bobby Reid could be a 20 goal striker, and that we would be effective playing a pressing game. 

Our much derided head coach obviously thought that he and we could be, so if we should go with 3 at the back then perhaps it will be as a result of LJ seeing  potential in some of our players ( or will bring in players) that suite this formation?

A handful really did. And pointed out two seasons ago that the team minus Tomlin would be better suited to this approach.

The much derided coach eventually moved towards this football, and then moved away from it again. Citys pressing game and its lack of obvious cover in key positions smacks of being the result of injury to players e.g. Famara and almost accidental v being deliberately and intentionally planned as a long term goal.

• Admin

It's funny though that many times in the past if England have any success in a major tournament, many sides will suddenly play with the same formation the following season

3-5-2 looks the way forward with England - fully expect the tactical genius LJ to bring this to us next season

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We sort of did under Cotts, blew League one away but we struggled in the Championship especially getting goals.

Exactly, surely I'm not the only one that was traumatized by seeing Cotts' team so easily picked apart? When our wingbacks were committed upfield we were often undone by crossfield counter attacks.

It seems to be trendy again like in the later 90s but I don't trust it

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We sort of did under Cotts, blew League one away but we struggled in the Championship especially getting goals.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Exactly, surely I'm not the only one that was traumatized by seeing Cotts' team so easily picked apart? When our wingbacks were committed upfield we were often undone by crossfield counter attacks.

It seems to be trendy again like in the later 90s but I don't trust it

My point is that the system works if the personnel fit. 

11 hours ago, Neo said:

If not a bit inexperienced and a major snub to our captain?

If I was head coach, I’d relieve Bailey of the captaincy and hand the armband to Korey....the rationale would be that I’d like to see Bailey really buckle down in pre-season, after the disappointment of missing out on the World Cup, and just concentrate on getting very fit, keeping his controlled aggression as a key part of his game and stepping up to make a real difference after Aden’s departure, without any added pressure....

Archived