IGNORED

Two other effects of Flint going..

GrahamC

We all know the obvious stuff, talismanic defender, first ball winner, seen as a huge fans favourite.

I think there are 2 other elements though, firstly his goals will need to be replaced & if Bryan also follows him out the door that is virtually all the goals that were scored by our defenders last season gone.

How do we replace them? Well, Webster has no reputation as much of a goal scorer and Wright & Baker certainly don’t.

This means that the midfield are going to have to chip in with far more goals, so can we continue to play a central midfield pairing in Smith & Pack that score so few?

Second big change for me is in goal, Frankie Fielding & Flint know each other’s game well & Aden’s aerial dominance won’t be found in any replacement we can pick.

To me this move points to a new first choice keeper who is better in the air coming in to compensate & Frankie possibly becoming another of the title winning side to leave us this summer.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We all know the obvious stuff, talismanic defender, first ball winner, seen as a huge fans favourite.

I think there are 2 other elements though, firstly his goals will need to be replaced & if Bryan also follows him out the door that is virtually all the goals that were scored by our defenders last season gone.

How do we replace them? Well, Webster has no reputation as much of a goal scorer and Wright & Baker certainly don’t.

This means that the midfield are going to have to chip in with far more goals, so can we continue to play a central midfield pairing in Smith & Pack that score so few?

Second big change for me is in goal, Frankie Fielding & Flint know each other’s game well & Aden’s aerial dominance won’t be found in any replacement we can pick.

To me this move points to a new first choice keeper who is better in the air coming in to compensate & Frankie possibly becoming another of the title winning side to leave us this summer.

I agree that we need a keeper that is goid in the air.....perhaps Angus Gunn or, if he's out of our price range, Fraser Forster 

1 minute ago, Lee0 said:

I agree that we need a keeper that is goid in the air.....perhaps Angus Gunn or, if he's out of our price range, Fraser Forster 

Wait that's to suggest Fraser Forster isn't out of our price range?! :blink:

I think Steele leaving pointed towards us looking for a new #1 if we were happy then Steele was excellent cover, unless it was him who wanted to move. 

could try converting Duric to a centre back. I am sure he would pop up with goals from set pieces if he stays fit

No idea if he could play there but he can certainly dominate centre backs so no doubt he could dominate centre forwards.

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Far more important than replacing Flint’s goals is finding a way to concede less. For the third season in row we were much better offensively than defensively. 

More 1-0 and less 5-5 please!

100 % this. I’d rather a defence that scored sweet FA but kept a clean sheet than last year.

i want Joe to stay but how often did the long ball over his shoulder whilst running back catch him out ? Half the time he made a hero tackle but he was out positioned in the first place.

42 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Is Sam Johnstone an option to buy now villa are unlikely to buy? Would certainly give us a solid pair of hands in the sticks

Something must have happened Cardiff were linked to him before Smithies

Flinty's leadership skills and 100% commitment will be missed as much as anything, plus he rarely took sickies - he was nearly always fit.

However he is at an age where this could be one of his last big pay days and he will be soon past his prime, not to say that he doesn't have 3 or 4 more years at this level.

This may be the best time to cash in on him and I guess he wanted the move, though I will be sad to see him go.

10 hours ago, Lee0 said:

Well Man City seem to be considering letting Gunn go so that could be on!

Oh wait a minute they want £15m!

Next....

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We always seem to come up with a dominant centre half when needed..... Gary Collier, David Rodgers, Bobby Newman, David Moyes, Shaun Taylor, Mark Lever, Jamie McCombe....etc (?!) - apart from Bobby (over 50 goals for us!) not many prolific goalscorers there though!

Rodgers was a prolific goalscorer. Mostly in his own net.....

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like Henderson as a permie was the #1 option, but that didn’t happen.

Agree about Flint’s goals, but perhaps we’ll try something less predictable at set pieces than aim for him!  Pack could be a Rennie.

I made that point about being so predictable at set pieces on another thread. I’m trying to look for positives in Flint’s departure and it’s difficult but that’s one, we need to vary it up a bit than always aiming for Flint’s head. I don’t think he found it so easy to score last season, it was too obvious what our game plan was at set pieces. .

I’ve heard we are bringing someone in, the deal is done but not got any names. Im guessing a defender. Let’s leave him to defend and make sure as others have said we get more goals from the midfield, looks like we will need a change of player there too as we are very light goalwise in that area.

I think Frankie has survived more storms than many, but without Flint infront of him I think this will be one storm too many. Steele leaving signifies something is happening in that department I would think. We need a strong defence to build on. Unsure if Pisano is up for it, Joe might be leaving, Wright and Baker are fairly untried and Baker seems to miss games regularly. And then youngsters. Doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, infact I can see why Flint made the move from a footballing point of view.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I made that point about being so predictable at set pieces on another thread. I’m trying to look for positives in Flint’s departure and it’s difficult but that’s one, we need to vary it up a bit than always aiming for Flint’s head. I don’t think he found it so easy to score last season, it was too obvious what our game plan was at set pieces. .

I’ve heard we are bringing someone in, the deal is done but not got any names. Im guessing a defender. Let’s leave him to defend and make sure as others have said we get more goals from the midfield, looks like we will need a change of player there too as we are very light goalwise in that area.

I think Frankie has survived more storms than many, but without Flint infront of him I think this will be one storm too many. Steele leaving signifies something is happening in that department I would think. We need a strong defence to build on. Unsure if Pisano is up for it, Joe might be leaving, Wright and Baker are fairly untried and Baker seems to miss games regularly. And then youngsters. Doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, infact I can see why Flint made the move from a footballing point of view.

Would love us to work on some more creative set pieces rather than lump it at someone and see if they get a head on it 

Archived