IGNORED

is it just me?

city1983

I'm genuinely excited about next season.

I believe we aleady have a ready made replacement for reid in Patterson. He doesnt quite have the same endless energy that reid has but in terms of abiliy to create chances, score goals  and raw tallent he is very much bobby reid's equal. He needs to find a greater degree of consistency, but bobby reid never had that until last season, and nor did he have the endless energy. last season saw our best run when reid went up top and patterson stepped into that role

it appears we have an equal (and younger) replacement to flint lined up in webster, and two acadamy graduates chomping at the bit to come in at centre back.

if we pull of the signing of jack marriot, or and equal striker then for me we already have a squad equal or above what we had last season, and still in profit to add one of two players of quality to greatly enhance this squad.

the way we finished last season then things needed shaking up. while i dont doubt their commitment last season we've shifted on 2 players who's minds may have been else where and we'll bring in players who genuinely want to be here.

we'll be no-where near the relegation zone next season. i expect another season of progression. and long may it continue.  

well done to mark ashton, lee johnson, jon lansdown and all at bristol sport for getting the business done early.

2 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I believe we aleady have a ready made replacement for reid in Patterson. He doesnt quite have the same endless energy that reid has but in terms of abiliy to create chances, score goals  and raw tallent he is very much bobby reid's equal. He needs to find a greater degree of consistency, but bobby reid never had that until last season, and nor did he have the endless energy. last season saw our best run when reid went up top and patterson stepped into that role

it appears we have an equal (and younger) replacement to flint lined up in webster, and two acadamy graduates chomping at the bit to come in at centre back.

if we pull of the signing of jack marriot, or and equal striker then for me we already have a squad equal or above what we had last season, and still in profit to add one of two players of quality to greatly enhance this squad.

the way we finished last season then things needed shaking up. while i dont doubt their commitment last season we've shifted on 2 players who's minds may have been else where and we'll bring in players who genuinely want to be here.

we'll be no-where near the relegation zone next season. i expect another season of progression. and long may it continue.  

well done to mark ashton, lee johnson, jon lansdown and all at bristol sport for getting the business done early.

I'm not sure anyone can be excited at the moment, However a few good signings and that will probably change.

Imagine booking a ticket for the theatre .... not knowing what you are going to see.  The production is announced and then, at the last minute, the news breaks that the lead actors/actresses are not appearing ... most people would find that odd ... But in football ... it happens!  Season tickets go on sale before season's end ... then key players move off to 'bigger' clubs ... but why move from Bristol to Middlesbrough?!  Such a grim place ...  Cardiff I can understand; a higher level of football and a superb city.  At least Bristol Rugby are showing real ambition.

If anyone thinks that what is happening i.e. players being sold is a good thing then I really don't get it.

If we had been promoted or even had got close then this wouldn't be happening. There is precious little to be overly positive as things stand and it is likely to get worse before it gets better. Even if we sign Webster and Marriott. so what? They seem decent players but decent for what? If it is for sustaining a place in the Championship then that is possibly achievable and if that's what we are aspiring to then, hardly exciting.

I can already see comments from the management team / owner in October. 'We have had a lot of players leave and come in and we must be patient to let them gel'. That isn't excitement for me I'm at best apprehensive and at worst really worried.

I agree. Not sure what the fuss is about. We lost Flint , Reid and Mags. For around 20 million .  Joe Bryan next. 

None of these players have led us to promotion nor were likely too. Flint is the most overrated CB and to get 5 million for a 29 year old is a no brainer. He is good in the air but he's hardly the rock at the back some seem to think. 

Reid - 1 good season. 10 million. I think that is great business given he would not sign a new contract. Ok he got lots of goals but he did not turn up when we needed him. 

Mags- too inconsistent and not confident on the ball. Good decision to sell

Bryan - if we can get 10 million another player who can leave. 

I think the money generated will help us develop by adding quality to the squad. I think a few more need to leave as well. Hard to be pessimistic when the transfer window is open and business will now be done. 

4 minutes ago, supercidered said:

If anyone thinks that what is happening i.e. players being sold is a good thing then I really don't get it.

If we had been promoted or even had got close then this wouldn't be happening. There is precious little to be overly positive as things stand and it is likely to get worse before it gets better. Even if we sign Webster and Marriott. so what? They seem decent players but decent for what? If it is for sustaining a place in the Championship then that is possibly achievable and if that's what we are aspiring to then, hardly exciting.

I can already see comments from the management team / owner in October. 'We have had a lot of players leave and come in and we must be patient to let them gel'. That isn't excitement for me I'm at best apprehensive and at worst really worried.

Webster is a very interesting proposition. This could be a clear indication if signed that Mr Johnson is looking to commit to a passing style of football. Webster plays out and through and has a high technical ability that may have been stifled by being at Ipswich under McCarthy. 

I would like to say the same about Watkins. The more informed may be able to identify the whys and what the players is.

20 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

I agree. Not sure what the fuss is about. We lost Flint , Reid and Mags. For around 20 million .  Joe Bryan next. 

None of these players have led us to promotion nor were likely too. Flint is the most overrated CB and to get 5 million for a 29 year old is a no brainer. He is good in the air but he's hardly the rock at the back some seem to think. 

Reid - 1 good season. 10 million. I think that is great business given he would not sign a new contract. Ok he got lots of goals but he did not turn up when we needed him. 

Mags- too inconsistent and not confident on the ball. Good decision to sell

Bryan - if we can get 10 million another player who can leave. 

I think the money generated will help us develop by adding quality to the squad. I think a few more need to leave as well. Hard to be pessimistic when the transfer window is open and business will now be done. 

Hi Lee.

1 minute ago, Super said:

We have had a few good "prospects" in recent years...……..

The difference is that both of those would be direct first team signings, whilst still being young players.

It's a bit different to the likes of Taylor Moore etc who was clearly one we wanted to develop.

28 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Webster is a better prospect than Flint. 

Marriott is better prospect than Reid. 

This Webster kiddie.

Like John Stones sum reckon.

Here is a prospect.

The otib defenders only head kick and boot massive it will wee themselves online when  it gets caught in possession.

DID YOU SEE THAT? WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS? MISTAKE ALWAYS IN HIM, DO YOU HEAR, DO YOU HEAR? NEEDS TO LEARN WHEN TO BOOT IT … Now thats a prospect and prediction.

It's the annual OTIB meltdown. The same happened when kodjia left and then when Tammy left. 

We knew this would happen, nobody surely could have expected us to keep Flint and Reid, we've got very good deals for both of them so now it's up to LJ to spend the 20 million we've got from transfers

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The difference is that both of those would be direct first team signings, whilst still being young players.

It's a bit different to the likes of Taylor Moore etc who was clearly one we wanted to develop.

These will be first team players out of necessity rather than anything else.

In my opinion SL, JL, MA & LJ were already selling off our assets for the new season way back in January. The most negative transfer window (January) made it pretty obvious that we were planning only for failure rather than a promotion / play off tilt.

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's the annual OTIB meltdown. The same happened when kodjia left and then when Tammy left. 

We knew this would happen, nobody surely could have expected us to keep Flint and Reid, we've got very good deals for both of them so now it's up to LJ to spend the 20 million we've got from transfers

Which is exactly where my fears lie!

I would not trust our recruitment team with £20 never mind £20m

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'm not sure it is the usual meltdown. I think city fans seem to me far more pragmatic this time. We would have kept everyone wanted and brought more in had we been promoted which may sound obvious but we had a chance last season and it fizzled out. Nobody will convince me that Cardiff are a better side than us and yea they were / are an ugly team to watch so then take Fulham, similar to the way we play and look how we have done against them over the past two seasons. It was a chance missed, it would have been a gamble to try and take that chance but opportunities like last season are rare for clubs like City.

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

These will be first team players out of necessity rather than anything else.

In my opinion SL, JL, MA & LJ were already selling off our assets for the new season way back in January. The most negative transfer window (January) made it pretty obvious that we were planning only for failure rather than a promotion / play off tilt.

No I don't think so. We'd only bring in players as replacements we thought could potentially be equal or better than Flint or Reid.

Don't know a huge amount about Marriot, but Webster is seen as someone with enormous potential. He's very good - probably everything we hoped Magnússon would be in terms of a ball playing defender. Issue is injuries. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No I don't think so. We'd only bring in players as replacements we thought could potentially be equal or better than Flint or Reid.

Don't know a huge amount about Marriot, but Webster is seen as someone with enormous potential. He's very good - probably everything we hoped Magnússon would be in terms of a ball playing defender. Issue is injuries. 

Fair enough. I still think that other teams that had a choice of Flint and Bobby or Webster and Marriott would in most case choose the former.

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

Fair enough. I still think that other teams that had a choice of Flint and Bobby or Webster and Marriott would in most case choose the former.

A one season wonder and a defender who thinks he’s a striker which ended up costing us,

like both but both are replaceable 

4 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Well yes probably, but that's a bit different.. We'd be buying them for the first team but also to improve them as players exactly as we did with Flint, Pack and Smith for example.

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

Bristol Sport employee alert .

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

A one season wonder and a defender who thinks he’s a striker which ended up costing us,

like both but both are replaceable 

So has Marriott even played in the Championship? and Webster is still largely unproven with some injury history.

Of course our ex two players are replaceable but my point still stands. Out of the two pairs of players would you rather have the two devils you know?

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well yes probably, but that's a bit different.. We'd be buying them for the first team but also to improve them as players exactly as we did with Flint, Pack and Smith for example.

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Good point and I guess we have to hope they do just that and quickly!

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

Imagine booking a ticket for the theatre .... not knowing what you are going to see.  The production is announced and then, at the last minute, the news breaks that the lead actors/actresses are not appearing ... most people would find that odd ... But in football ... it happens!  Season tickets go on sale before season's end ... then key players move off to 'bigger' clubs ... but why move from Bristol to Middlesbrough?!  Such a grim place ...  Cardiff I can understand; a higher level of football and a superb city.  At least Bristol Rugby are showing real ambition.

I bet no Boro players live in or near Middlesboro. North York moors are lovely.

Archived