IGNORED

is it just me?

city1983

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

If anyone thinks that what is happening i.e. players being sold is a good thing then I really don't get it.

If we had been promoted or even had got close then this wouldn't be happening. There is precious little to be overly positive as things stand and it is likely to get worse before it gets better. Even if we sign Webster and Marriott. so what? They seem decent players but decent for what? If it is for sustaining a place in the Championship then that is possibly achievable and if that's what we are aspiring to then, hardly exciting.

I can already see comments from the management team / owner in October. 'We have had a lot of players leave and come in and we must be patient to let them gel'. That isn't excitement for me I'm at best apprehensive and at worst really worried.

You seem to be presuming that these players were forced out of the club. Keeping unhappy players who are ready to move for whatever  the reason aren't going to perform well.

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

If anyone thinks that what is happening i.e. players being sold is a good thing then I really don't get it.

If we had been promoted or even had got close then this wouldn't be happening. There is precious little to be overly positive as things stand and it is likely to get worse before it gets better. Even if we sign Webster and Marriott. so what? They seem decent players but decent for what? If it is for sustaining a place in the Championship then that is possibly achievable and if that's what we are aspiring to then, hardly exciting.

I can already see comments from the management team / owner in October. 'We have had a lot of players leave and come in and we must be patient to let them gel'. That isn't excitement for me I'm at best apprehensive and at worst really worried.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

You seem to be presuming that these players were forced out of the club. Keeping unhappy players who are ready to move for whatever  the reason aren't going to perform well.

You presume incorrectly. However, if they were unhappy then this can only be down to one main reason and that is the club's ambition or at least the club's intended ambition was short of the players own ambitions.

We have now signed Webster who has apparently chosen City because of the clubs ambition. MA & SL must have been very convincing because the opposite has been shown to be true of late.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

58% passing accuracy for Webster last year- time will tell and of course his age plus a more expansive style of play could see him grow into the ball playing centre back more, but the jury is out in that sense IMO.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/109922/Show/Adam-Webster

Down to style of Ipswich's play. That is down to instruction.

Have a watch of some highlights or games, very easy to track down online and you can see his technical ability. I think this is a massive statement that we'll be playing passing football next season.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Down to style of Ipswich's play. That is down to instruction.

Have a watch of some highlights or games, very easy to track down online and you can see his technical ability. I think this is a massive statement that we'll be playing passing football next season.

Chatted to an Ipswich fan at work about 10 mins ago, and he's unconvinced about his technical attributes- though of course is of the view that McCarthy barely helped in that regard!

Think we'll be seeking to play out from the back, though if it's with a 4-4-2 and especially with no Reid it could be fairly pointless if we keep getting overrun in midfield...

That said yeah I am cautiously optimistic about Webster and his ability to bring the ball out.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Chatted to an Ipswich fan at work about 10 mins ago, and he's unconvinced about his technical attributes- though of course is of the view that McCarthy barely helped in that regard!

Think we'll be seeking to play out from the back, though if it's with a 4-4-2 and especially with no Reid it could be fairly pointless if we keep getting overrun in midfield...

I'd also be surprised if it's 4-4-2 next season. Fingers crossed and all that but I really think we'll see a mix of 4-1-2-3 and 4-5-1. Need a proper DM to facilitate Webster though if we're doing that IMHO.

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'd also be surprised if it's 4-4-2 next season. Fingers crossed and all that but I really think we'll see a mix of 4-1-2-3 and 4-5-1. Need a proper DM to facilitate Webster though if we're doing that IMHO.

What's wrong with Pack, Brownhill and Smith in the 4-3-3? Think it's got a useful balance.

Defensive mid? Hegeler can perform that role in that system- what Hegeler cannot IMO do is perform in a 4-4-2, but he would have that extra cover if played deeper or in a 3.

3 hours ago, city1983 said:

I'm genuinely excited about next season.

I believe we aleady have a ready made replacement for reid in Patterson. He doesnt quite have the same endless energy that reid has but in terms of abiliy to create chances, score goals  and raw tallent he is very much bobby reid's equal. He needs to find a greater degree of consistency, but bobby reid never had that until last season, and nor did he have the endless energy. last season saw our best run when reid went up top and patterson stepped into that role

it appears we have an equal (and younger) replacement to flint lined up in webster, and two acadamy graduates chomping at the bit to come in at centre back.

if we pull of the signing of jack marriot, or and equal striker then for me we already have a squad equal or above what we had last season, and still in profit to add one of two players of quality to greatly enhance this squad.

the way we finished last season then things needed shaking up. while i dont doubt their commitment last season we've shifted on 2 players who's minds may have been else where and we'll bring in players who genuinely want to be here.

we'll be no-where near the relegation zone next season. i expect another season of progression. and long may it continue.  

well done to mark ashton, lee johnson, jon lansdown and all at bristol sport for getting the business done early.

My issue isn’t the perceived quality of the squad, but how Lee Johnson fostered relegation form from Christmas onward and whether that can be changed

3 hours ago, Jarman said:

Imagine booking a ticket for the theatre .... not knowing what you are going to see.  The production is announced and then, at the last minute, the news breaks that the lead actors/actresses are not appearing ... most people would find that odd ... But in football ... it happens!  Season tickets go on sale before season's end ... then key players move off to 'bigger' clubs ... but why move from Bristol to Middlesbrough?!  Such a grim place ...  Cardiff I can understand; a higher level of football and a superb city.  At least Bristol Rugby are showing real ambition.

Well it does help that they were rescued by a genuinely wealthy man like Steve Lansdown after your shitty, tinpot little football club shafted them.  

3 hours ago, city1983 said:

I'm genuinely excited about next season.

I believe we aleady have a ready made replacement for reid in Patterson. He doesnt quite have the same endless energy that reid has but in terms of abiliy to create chances, score goals  and raw tallent he is very much bobby reid's equal. He needs to find a greater degree of consistency, but bobby reid never had that until last season, and nor did he have the endless energy. last season saw our best run when reid went up top and patterson stepped into that role

it appears we have an equal (and younger) replacement to flint lined up in webster, and two acadamy graduates chomping at the bit to come in at centre back.

if we pull of the signing of jack marriot, or and equal striker then for me we already have a squad equal or above what we had last season, and still in profit to add one of two players of quality to greatly enhance this squad.

the way we finished last season then things needed shaking up. while i dont doubt their commitment last season we've shifted on 2 players who's minds may have been else where and we'll bring in players who genuinely want to be here.

we'll be no-where near the relegation zone next season. i expect another season of progression. and long may it continue.  

well done to mark ashton, lee johnson, jon lansdown and all at bristol sport for getting the business done early.

Think it’s just you mate.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Patterson can only perform for 3 months of the season so no - not excited if he ends up being our replacement 

If Patterson ever achieves %50 of Bobbys workrate or industry over a season , or matches His BRs) goal tally of  last season I will buy the OP a crate of Thatchers and possibly his season ticket as well

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

My issue isn’t the perceived quality of the squad, but how Lee Johnson fostered relegation form from Christmas onward and whether that can be changed

He didnt.

Very bad form, yes.

Bottom half struggler form, yes.

Relegation form, demonstrably no as there were around 5 clubs with worse form over the same games.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If Patterson ever achieves %50 of Bobbys workrate or industry over a season , or matches His BRs) goal tally of  last season I will buy the OP a crate of Thatchers and possibly his season ticket as well

I prefer carling 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

He didnt.

Very bad form, yes.

Bottom half struggler form, yes.

Relegation form, demonstrably no as there were around 5 clubs with worse form over the same games.

As many as 5? Reassuring

Just now, 054123 said:

As many as 5? Reassuring

I believe so.

Cant remember the exact number, but we weren't a bottom 3 side on the form for the period of January onwards.

I'm not pretending it was a good level of form at all, but I'm not going to pretend that it was worse than it was either.

19 hours ago, Monkeh said:

No nore would I fammy baker and brownhill have all been shit........

So that’s 3.

How many on the other side of the coin.....

A lot more than 3.

And yes no club gets it right every time but in my opinion we have a lower success rate than we should have.

On 28/06/2018 at 16:13, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's wrong with Pack, Brownhill and Smith in the 4-3-3? Think it's got a useful balance.

Defensive mid? Hegeler can perform that role in that system- what Hegeler cannot IMO do is perform in a 4-4-2, but he would have that extra cover if played deeper or in a 3.

They aren’t good enough our biggest weakness is the centre of midfield all three are in the Johnson mold, tidy players but won’t unlock defences and not good enough to protect the back 4,

its an area that needs strengthening badly 

42 minutes ago, Jarman said:

"Well it does help that they were rescued by a genuinely wealthy man like Steve Lansdown after your shitty, tinpot little football club"   Discuss ... 

We weren’t rescued but you’d be too busy nothing your sister to notice it

13 hours ago, Monkeh said:

They aren’t good enough our biggest weakness is the centre of midfield all three are in the Johnson mold, tidy players but won’t unlock defences and not good enough to protect the back 4,

its an area that needs strengthening badly 

Don't agree fully with that.

Game has changed, Johnson IMO would do better as a player in some respects today than before.

Hegeler can definitely protect the back 4...but not in a 4--4-2. Pack certainly can- holding midfielder s intercept rather than tackle increasingly and Pack surely fits that bill..1.6 tackles per game last season on average, just shows how the game evolves (that was courtesy of spudski a while ago from memory).

Anyway, of our realistic and viable targets etc if we play 4-4-2 we won't get anywhere fast except bottom half and possibly worse. 

Brownhill, Pack and Smith all have a variety of attributes..far from convinced they're utilised  correctly or to their optimum.

On 28/06/2018 at 13:03, Jarman said:

Imagine booking a ticket for the theatre .... not knowing what you are going to see.  The production is announced and then, at the last minute, the news breaks that the lead actors/actresses are not appearing ... most people would find that odd ... But in football ... it happens!  Season tickets go on sale before season's end ... then key players move off to 'bigger' clubs ... but why move from Bristol to Middlesbrough?!  Such a grim place ...  Cardiff I can understand; a higher level of football and a superb city.  At least Bristol Rugby are showing real ambition.

Ah, but our leading actors are going on to star in the West End and being replaced by up and coming actors getting rave reviews whereas your leading actors are going to the local rep and being replaced from the local Am Dram society

Archived