IGNORED

Adam Webster - Now signed

BessexRED

3 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Sounds like good business by us, looks as if we are trying to get major deals tied up the same day to avoid doubt and slip ups.

reid out tomorrow with new striker in wouldn’t be a surprise.

Would be very good work by LJ and Ashton if they manage to act this quickly for reid replacement. Im just hoping if it is Marriott we dont pay over the odds!

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m guessing everything with Webster was all done bar the shouting before we let the Flint deal go through. 

Still going to be a sickener to see Reid at Cardiff. But be pleased with Marriott, if we get him, the fact that posh fans rate him higher than Assombalonga and Gayle is very encouraging. 

It is disappointing with Reid. But if we sell flint/Reid and bring in Webster/Marriott, with Watkins already on board I don’t think that’s a bad start to the window. Also we would be in profit.

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m guessing everything with Webster was all done bar the shouting before we let the Flint deal go through. 

Still going to be a sickener to see Reid at Cardiff. But be pleased with Marriott, if we get him, the fact that posh fans rate him higher than Assombalonga and Gayle is very encouraging. 

Really? Not sure i agree with that from the footage ive seen (only youtube videos and Football league show) but then i don't watch him week in week out and they do have a history coaching good forwards.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

It is disappointing with Reid. But if we sell flint/Reid and bring in Webster/Marriott, with Watkins already on board I don’t think that’s a bad start to the window. Also we would be in profit.

Agreed I would also like us to pursue the scunny winger Adelakun? Looks like quite a powerhouse and is still very young.

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Best gif response I’ve had for a while btw. Great work.  

I’ll rephrase - the core, and most reliable players we’ve had, over the last few seasons are poised to leave. Not signed by the current regime. Flint was one of those. Reid is so pivotal to everything we were building. 

I don’t trust the current board & management to spend this money wisely. If we hadn’t had loaned Diony in January - we could’ve been going out and spending over half of Bobby’s fee on him..... 

Thing is I don't know how much power we had over these 2, from what people say Bobby has had contract offers since March but not signed meaning he has to go this window, we can't afford to turn down £10m offers in that position. Flint just judging by some comments of his seems he's been happy to stay but also happy enough to move away, talking about how he is happy its been sorted quickly this year. Personal opinion but I think Flint had something stuck in his new contract in March that allowed him to leave. So I don't think Johnson and co had much choice. I trust LJ to replace Reid given our record of replacing strikers in the last few years.  

7 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Really? Not sure i agree with that from the footage ive seen (only youtube vodeos and Football league show) but then i don't watch him week in week out and they do have a history coaching good forwards.

I’ve seen very little of him but I’d certainly trust their judgement on a good forward, they’ve seen their fair share as you say!

14 hours ago, chinapig said:

That may be the point, we want a different type of player, one who can play out from the back.

Mick McCarthy had a high opinion of him and Kevin Beattie called him a PL player in the making. Two men who know a bit about centre halves.

... but not a patch on the experts on OTIB! :)

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Looking at the Ipswich Forum seems the general view is that it's good business for us IF he regains the form he had before his injuries, good business for Ipswich if not.

Hope we put him through a really thorough medical...

Surely that's a given with any player with a history of injuries? And for that matter, any other player joining a new club!

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Looking at the Ipswich Forum seems the general view is that it's good business for us IF he regains the form he had before his injuries, good business for Ipswich if not.

Hope we put him through a really thorough medical...

Remember Michael Bridges? I questioned someone very, very high up about his medical history when he joined us. I was assured he had previously been operated on by the best surgeons money could buy and our medical team were ‘astounded’ he was in such good shape. Don’t remember him playing much, fell over his dog and was out for months didn’t he:laughcont:

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Remember Michael Bridges? I questioned someone very, very high up about his medical history when he joined us. I was assured he had previously been operated on by the best surgeons money could buy and our medical team were ‘astounded’ he was in such good shape. Don’t remember him playing much, fell over his dog and was out for months didn’t he:laughcont:

Big difference being Bridges was a fair bit older, obviously on the way down in his career by then and had all the heart of a flea. Tony Dinning like in his commitment.

Pretty sure he only signed to be Stewart’s drinking pal, never seemed to want to play.

Webster at 23 hopefully has his career ahead of him..

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Big difference being Bridges was already 30 something, on the way down in his career and had all the heart of a flea. Tony Dinning like in his commitment.

Pretty sure he only signed to be Stewart’s drinking pal, never seemed to want to play.

Webster at 23 hopefully has his career ahead of him..

I agree, it was more a ‘don’t rely on the medical’ observation.

Incidently, is it me or is it very rare we hear of players failing medical nowdays. Maybe they do but it’s hushed up not to altet possible buyers who aren’t so through.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Winging it?  For me that was playing Smith and Brownhill at RB, not Wright, who played a reasonable amount of games there.

I agree totally.

Playing Wright at right back was ok and necessary at the time but not ideal, transfer windows were closed, playing Smith and Brownhill there and not signing a replacement in January was bordering on the criminal.

My point is if they try the same thing again and not sign another right back and play Wright there again it will be winging it this time around because the necessity element has now gone and unprofessional.

My friend who is an Ipswich ST holder said this to me in my question of is he worth the money:

"If he can stay fit then potentially yes, he’s played no more than 25 games in each of the last 4 seasons. That and we played hoof ball. If he’d been fit the last few years woulda cost about 7/8 mill up front. Our fans are split because of his injury record"

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I agree, it was more a ‘don’t rely on the medical’ observation.

Incidently, is it me or is it very rare we hear of players failing medical nowdays. Maybe they do but it’s hushed up not to altet possible buyers who aren’t so through.

There was a high profile player (French?) who failed one at Liverpool a few weeks ago when all the papers were saying it was a done deal. 

5 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

My friend who is an Ipswich ST holder said this to me in my question of is he worth the money:

"If he can stay fit then potentially yes, he’s played no more than 25 games in each of the last 4 seasons. That and we played hoof ball. If he’d been fit the last few years woulda cost about 7/8 mill up front. Our fans are split because of his injury record"

In fairness, my Villa supporting mates said the same about Nathan Baker. Webster is still relatively young and may well outgrow his injury problems. When Steve Gerrard was a youngster at Liverpool he was plagued by shin splints I seem to recall but with the right training/medical support etc. he overcame them.

18 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

There was a high profile player (French?) who failed one at Liverpool a few weeks ago when all the papers were saying it was a done deal. 

Nabil Fekir, though Lyon subsequently denied it and there is talk he could still join Liverpool 

22 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Charlie Austin failed one at Hull when at Burnley and subsequently moved to QPR instead

Webster is well known, has shown glimpses of great potential, but is injury prone, and is replacing a player who scored goals, pretty good at the defending , but also injury free. It is why he is joining us and no one else. 

LJ said last year, our biggest issue was caused by injuries.

Do we actually know what we are doing ?

Archived