IGNORED

Did we even offer Bobby a new contract?

redordead1

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think Bobby got lucky that Cardiff got promoted and he could still live at home or visit regularly which seems very important to him. Who knows Carrdiff may only be up there a year so he took a chance when his stock was high and jumped, getting the Premiership football he craved at a convenient location. The wage increase is of course a nice bonus.

We couldn’t pay Bobby top money, after only one good season did he really warrant that, leapfrogging other and become the club’s top earner? Other players would feel aggrieved if someone suddenly was earning significantly more than them surely? 

What if Cardiff hadn’t of gone up, he wouldn’t have considered them I doubt. What were his options to stay local ish then, Bournemouth, Fulham or Wolves maybe. He got lucky, and maybe so did we. (£) Who knows he might never have a season like that again.

Maybe that is one issue with Bobby also. He has been with us for 18 years and as @Davefevs said is on around £3k a week (£12k a month, £144k a year). The new players around him, as well as getting signing fees (Engvall for example got a wad of cash just for signing bigger than Bobbys yearly salary) as well as them in likelihood earning a lot more than him circa £10 k plus a week (£40k a month, £480k a year). That is a huge difference, and Reid has been a regular first team player as much (or more) than a lot of our more recent signings over the last couple of seasons. Yes we can say he may have not been worth more (though as the thread posted in 2016 said most thought he was already a solid Championship player) why were we being so cheap, do we as a club not reward loyalty (18 years) for homegrown players but happily pay others coming into the club much more.

3 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Could sign a new contract first though so we maximise the fee. We stuck by BR through lean times and developed him and then one good season and he’s off to one of our main rivals. Bad optics. 

Can bet his agent would be in his ear saying other clubs may not want him for the price they'd have to pay if he signed a new contract, play on his dream of playing in the premier league, similar to Bobby could be his only chance. 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Maybe that is one issue with Bobby also. He has been with us for 18 years and as @Davefevs said is on around £3k a week (£12k a month, £144k a year). The new players around him, as well as getting signing fees (Engvall for example got a wad of cash just for signing bigger than Bobbys yearly salary) as well as them in likelihood earning a lot more than him circa £10 k plus a week (£40k a month, £480k a year). That is a huge difference, and Reid has been a regular first team player as much (or more) than a lot of our more recent signings over the last couple of seasons. Yes we can say he may have not been worth more (though as the thread posted in 2016 said most thought he was already a solid Championship player) why were we being so cheap, do we as a club not reward loyalty (18 years) for homegrown players but happily pay others coming into the club much more.

I can assure you BR was on far more than 3k per week here.

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

This is the problem with football.

In the normal workforce you have grades, pay ranges etc.  

You also have the cycles of contracts.

Take an average Champ player, signs a decent enough £10k per week 4 year deal today.  By next summer a new player comes in and wants £15k (the new average player rate)....the year after another player wants £20k, etc etc.  Suddenly that player is on half of what the new average player is on and unless he forces the issue or his agent forces the issue, he has two years where he feels he is underpaid.

Not having a go at Flint, because I actually think City wanted to cash-in last summer, but he / his agent has managed to keep getting Aden topped up with new deals to keep him at the ‘new rate’.

i think footballers need to accept where they are in their contract cycle when new players come in, but I don’t blame them pushing for increases either

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I can assure you BR was on far more than 3k per week here.

In which case he / his agent negotiated a very good deal in 2016 bearing in mind his stock level at that point, bearing in mind we’d just signed Tomlin and O’Neil.

18 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Hearing we didn’t. Can anyone confirm?

he got offered a new contract in Jan and then an improved offer in march he made his intentiopn clear that he wanted to try and play at a higher level

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is the problem with football.

In the normal workforce you have grades, pay ranges etc.  

You also have the cycles of contracts.

Take an average Champ player, signs a decent enough £10k per week 4 year deal today.  By next summer a new player comes in and wants £15k (the new average player rate)....the year after another player wants £20k, etc etc.  Suddenly that player is on half of what the new average player is on and unless he forces the issue or his agent forces the issue, he has two years where he feels he is underpaid.

Not having a go at Flint, because I actually think City wanted to cash-in last summer, but he / his agent has managed to keep getting Aden topped up with new deals to keep him at the ‘new rate’.

i think footballers need to accept where they are in their contract cycle when new players come in, but I don’t blame them pushing for increases either

Top Premier League players especially are forever renegotiating their contracts long before their end. It's not that somebody on £200k a week needs more money so I assume it's down to rampant egos.

And if they don't get what they want they can throw their toys out of the pram to the extent that contracts become meaningless.

Since Bosman we have gone from one unacceptable extreme to another.

Archived