IGNORED

Question

SStandUp

If we fail to progress this year (i.e. not finishing higher than last years league position), will people be going for Lee Johnsons throat? Or will they question the clubs ambition, regarding selling our key assets? 

What I can currently invisage, is us actually "struggling" in the lower half of the table, and no doubt this will not please fans. 

Sure, this is pure speculation, however if it were to become the case, I for one couldn't look past the board/ club for the failure to progress. No matter who you are, if you sell key assets such as Reid and Flint, arguably the best players at the club, and potentially one of the best players in their respectful positions in the league, you're going to struggle to progress. And I'm also anticipating Bryan to be added to this list.

I just hope fans take this into account before shamefully abusing the manager. Who, by all accounts, is doing a fantastic job behind the scenes with the limitations he faces (e.g. Pathway infrastructure, club culture).

Also may I add; I said "struggle" in the lowers half of the table. When actually, if you collate all the information and stats regarding the club in comparison to others clubs (attendances [specifically away], wage bill etc.), some would say finishing 11th last year was actually punching above our weight. Unfortunately, some fans think we are much bigger than we actually are, when you compare expectations to the things mentioned above.

Anyway, looking forward in many ways to the start of the season. I'm really not sure where we stand currently.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Lets not pretend LJ has not done plenty worth criticising. There have been some shameful on-pitch performances in his time here.

Wasn't really the question. 

In fact, has no relevance at all. 

It wasn't a Johnson in/ out post. A genuine question about how we are meant to progress whilst selling star players. Whoever the manager is, make's their life a whole lot harder, surely? 

10 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

If we fail to progress this year (i.e. not finishing higher than last years league position), will people be going for Lee Johnsons throat? 

Why would we stoop so low?

9 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

It wasn't a Johnson in/ out post. A genuine question about how we are meant to progress whilst selling star players. Whoever the manager is, make's their life a whole lot harder, surely? 

"I just hope fans take this into account before shamefully abusing the manager. Who, by all accounts, is doing a fantastic job behind the scenes with the limitations he faces (e.g. Pathway infrastructure, club culture)."

You certainly paint him in a good light. 

The how do we progress thing does trouble me. I think this is an anomalous season where our best players all want to leave at the same time. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if they all departed one season after the other.

18 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

If we fail to progress this year (i.e. not finishing higher than last years league position), will people be going for Lee Johnsons throat? Or will they question the clubs ambition, regarding selling our key assets? 

What I can currently invisage, is us actually "struggling" in the lower half of the table, and no doubt this will not please fans. 

Sure, this is pure speculation, however if it were to become the case, I for one couldn't look past the board/ club for the failure to progress. No matter who you are, if you sell key assets such as Reid and Flint, arguably the best players at the club, and potentially one of the best players in their respectful positions in the league, you're going to struggle to progress. And I'm also anticipating Bryan to be added to this list.

I just hope fans take this into account before shamefully abusing the manager. Who, by all accounts, is doing a fantastic job behind the scenes with the limitations he faces (e.g. Pathway infrastructure, club culture).

Also may I add; I said "struggle" in the lowers half of the table. When actually, if you collate all the information and stats regarding the club in comparison to others clubs (attendances [specifically away], wage bill etc.), some would say finishing 11th last year was actually punching above our weight. Unfortunately, some fans think we are much bigger than we actually are, when you compare expectations to the things mentioned above.

Anyway, looking forward in many ways to the start of the season. I'm really not sure where we stand currently.

Cheers.

Yes he needs to improve again too 8 is minimum for me, if he isn’t even close to that then he has to go 

19 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Cheers.

Depends what you mean by the clubs ambition.Clearly lansdown is more worried about creating a legacy in Bristol sport than football and while we have yes man lj in charge things won’t change,suits all involved 

Too early to say.  If we make no more signings and Pack and Bryan go, I would say we are going into the season worse off, and you’d lower your expectations.

However if we recruit successfully (in our opinion) then we could have a tilt at the play offs again.

I’m enjoying the transfer activity in and out, it was all getting a bit boring.

I think that the Lansdowns regard having Bristol City in Tier 2 for a while equals success and arent overly bothered about Premier League Football. We'll be a minor talent factory in the Southampton mode . The difference is that while I admire the way the Saints done business, they've also managed  to maintain Premier League status for a while (unlike a certain club in BS3). 

Reading the newspaper in Swindon makes interesting reading. Lee Power has sucked the lifeblood from that club..and it seems that the fans have got little spirit for a revolution. They'll moan and whinge a bit, but essentially they'll do nothing. I only mention this, because things could be a whole lot worse. Theres an old saying... "be careful what you wish for!"

25 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes he needs to improve again too 8 is minimum for me, if he isn’t even close to that then he has to go 

So we sell our best player/ top goalscorer, we sell our best defender, and you still expect us to progress? 

7 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

So we sell our best player/ top goalscorer, we sell our best defender, and you still expect us to progress? 

We have signed some other team's best defender and are looking to sign some other team's best player/top goalscorer. We are also looking to sign other decent players. I'd far rather they were on board, players who choose us and want to play for us than have the players who want away.

56 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Cheers.

Could you articulate further?

13 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I think that the Lansdowns regard having Bristol City in Tier 2 for a while equals success and arent overly bothered about Premier League Football. We'll be a minor talent factory in the Southampton mode . The difference is that while I admire the way the Saints done business, they've also managed  to maintain Premier League status for a while (unlike a certain club in BS3). 

Reading the newspaper in Swindon makes interesting reading. Lee Power has sucked the lifeblood from that club..and it seems that the fans have got little spirit for a revolution. They'll moan and whinge a bit, but essentially they'll do nothing. I only mention this, because things could be a whole lot worse. Theres an old saying... "be careful what you wish for!"

I think they do want premier league football, mainly for the huge financial gain. However, SL is a financial services man and I think he is waiting for the right moment in his mind, to go for it, ala brighton and Bournemouth. Take a risk financially.

clearly he didn’t think that January was that time.

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Agree, forever knocking down whats been built gets you no-where apart from back to where you started;

My guess is the old; we need the newbies to be given time to gel etc, then fine tune at xmas, then sell the best at the end of the season and repeat.

Pretty sure the £`s in transfers will not be allowed to exceed £`s out.

26 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Yes, Man U sold Ronaldo and still progressed, spurs sold bale and still progressed Liverpool sold saurez and progressed

sell players is part of the game it’s the ability to replace them that counts,

we sold flint and brought in Webster  who will be a much better player 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

What amazes me is why people can't grasp why Reid and Flint were sold, then criticise the club saying they don't have any ambition. 

They were sold because we did not invest when we should have at the last window and pushed for the top; do you really think they would have gone if we went up instead of Cardiff;

we therefore lacked ambition/or nerve at the vital time and now will pay for it.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes, Man U sold Ronaldo and still progressed, spurs sold bale and still progressed Liverpool sold saurez and progressed

sell players is part of the game it’s the ability to replace them that counts,

we sold flint and brought in Webster  who will be a much better player 

You don't know that only hope it, hope wont get us promoted

15 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I think they do want premier league football, mainly for the huge financial gain. However, SL is a financial services man and I think he is waiting for the right moment in his mind, to go for it, ala brighton and Bournemouth. Take a risk financially.

clearly he didn’t think that January was that time.

You have to grab opportunity when it presents with both hands-if you don't then repent at leasure.....if the failure to push when we were sat so strong in January was calculated then it's shambolic,niave management.

9th May 2018 - Steve Lansdown told Radio Bristol.......

Aims for the next campaign

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed... But when I look from where we were last year there's been tremendous progress. We need to push on next year."

It was good to hear that Lansdown was equally disappointed with the end of season form and that there's no settling for mid-table mediocrity. The club will be pushing hard to improve again next year and Lansdown is as ambitious as ever.

(Extract from The Bristol Post)

I'm happy to 'push on next year'

4 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

They were sold because we did not invest when we should have at the last window and pushed for the top; do you really think they would have gone if we went up instead of Cardiff;

we therefore lacked ambition/or nerve at the vital time and now will pay for it.

Villa invested big time and now take there place in the prem........ oh wait

3 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

You don't know that only hope it, hope wont get us promoted

Buying won’t get you promoted ether, the is a countless list of clubs proving that

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Too early to say.  If we make no more signings and Pack and Bryan go, I would say we are going into the season worse off, and you’d lower your expectations.

However if we recruit successfully (in our opinion) then we could have a tilt at the play offs again.

I’m enjoying the transfer activity in and out, it was all getting a bit boring.

Boom. I have shed light on this in a transfer speculation thread but as it is we are worse off. Not hugely imo but enough where think we’d be decently safe most of the year say around 14-15th 58is points. Considering who we lost and assuming no more incoming(there should be) that would be ok imo. I do want to see the abilty to turn around a bad 4-5 match stretch. I want to see more of Kelly, Vyner, Walsh, Eliasson, Bakinson. I want to see Brownhill, COD and Famara take the spots of the departed players as key figures for the club. We can do most of that then I have no qualms finishing lower than last season.

Progression is more than season to season. We are still getting there but we may have to temper expectations this season but expect much better in the following two. You can’t roll up sign who you want, extend everyone 4 years and finish higher every season against PP. Especially considering how bare our squad was when the process started. Full season number 3 coming up for Johnson and overall he has done a good job. Like I said he needs to cut out the bad runs. Incomings need to produce more but we seem to be learning still. More and more english players being signed to be the core of the squad. The club, staff and players are all getting better day by day. I’d say stick by them for a bit longer. A bad start would be a killer but LJ teams tend to start strong he just needs to have a higher floor than the last few seasons even if the ceiling isn’t quite as high

47 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

We have signed some other team's best defender and are looking to sign some other team's best player/top goalscorer. We are also looking to sign other decent players. I'd far rather they were on board, players who choose us and want to play for us than have the players who want away.

We HAVE let our best players go

we MIGHT sign some good players

Between have and night there’s a big difference spelt out in 2 letters PR 

Good question I think, but you kinda answered it yourself - did we underperform last year finishing 11th, as in your own words LJ had 2 of the best players in their positions available for pretty much every game. I think the answer is yes, therefore if we regress this year it is down to failure which forced the hand of our better players. That is LJ and co's fault, and they should be accountable. They have a huge job ahead this season, a real make or break. 

Archived