IGNORED

Thoughts on our 2018/19 transfer policy thus far

Distortia

So it looks like we're about to conclude the deal for Jack Hunt, becoming our 5th major signing of the summer. They are as follows (transfermarkt.co.uk figures):

Adam Webster from Ipswich, £3.6m
Andreas Weimann from Derby, £2m
Marley Watkins from Norwich, £1m
Hakeeb Adelakun from Scunthorpe, Free Transfer
Jack Hunt from Sheff. Wed, £1.6m

These 5 players accounting for spending of £8.2m - considering we sold Reid alone for £10m, we have a clearly positive net spend thus far. This suggests there may be finances available for further signings.

The main thing I notice is 4 of these players came from Championship clubs, and one from a League 1 club. This is a big shift in approach from last year where our main signings were Baker, Eliasson, Diedhiou and Pisano - 3 of whom had no previous experience in English football. Clearly there has been a shift in strategy where we are now purchasing players from domestic-based clubs. The main criticism of this in recent years is that these players are generally more expensive than players signed from abroad. Despite this, I think we have signed players for very decent prices. As mentioned, 5 signings now for less than the price we sold Reid for.

What do you think about this shift in transfer strategy? Do you think these players will help us to establish ourselves as a good Championship club in the next 2/3 years, with a chance of reaching promotion? Or do you think we should be aiming for a different demographic of signings as these are players who generally haven't lit up the division in recent years, suggesting we should continue to look for more risky transfers from abroad? Whatever you think, it's certainly interesting to see the club taking a different approach in the market.

The shift in transfer policy is clearly based on income. I'm sure we would like to spend on domestic proven players every year but whereas last year our main income was the sale of Tomlin (correct me if I am wrong), this year we already have £17mill income from two players so can afford to strengthen our whole team.

Personally I am excited. We have brought in proven Championship players on long term deals which is going to sure up our future for the next few years. Even if we have a bad season or an injury-ravaged one we have enough depth and quality in the squad to finish comfortably mid table at the least.

I'll let you know at the end of September. It's small margins in the Championship and much will depend on how the players gel, can we score goals, does the defence leak goals etc. The one common factor seems to be the energy and work-rate of the signings.

Like the fact that not only are we buying players with championship experience but also the fact the four from Championship all have a massive point to prove in this league. 

Hopefully this will be a positive and they will come out fighting and prove a point. 

5 hours ago, TBW said:

We certainly like a wide man. 

Would say we need three more. 

1. Goalkeeper

2. Centre Midfielder

3. Striker

While I agree with he first two, can't see another striker coming in unless one goes. I don't believe the PX offer , Taylor for Marriot, although happy to be proved wrong.
We have FD, Djuric, Taylor and Weiman, add Hinds and McCoulsky as cover and for numbers alone we're done. 

Not sure it's a policy as such, as it seems more that we are being dictated to by events, primarily players wanting to go. Big question now is how much reliable and consistant value do you get in the £2-3m range. If it works, it's genius . If not, them a relgation scrap beckons.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While I agree with he first two, can't see another striker coming in unless one goes. I don't believe the PX offer , Taylor for Marriot, although happy to be proved wrong.
We have FD, Djuric, Taylor and Weiman, add Hinds and McCoulsky as cover and for numbers alone we're done. 

FD potentially out for 6 games. Djuric constantly injured. Taylor so far doesn't seem up to the standard for this league. Hinds and McCoulsky likely to go out on loan.

I would definitely be worried if we don't bring in a decent striker.

9 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Time will tell obviously but I think we were due a refresh after 3 seasons of under achievement, albeit we have improved year on year.  Bringing in Championship experience is never a bad thing, and I’m excited by recruiting the cream of League 1 as well, especially when they are young and hungry to step up

3 seasons of under achievement? we have not under achieved, we're bang on where we should be taking history and the strength of the league into account, what we have been doing is improving year on year

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

FD potentially out for 6 games. Djuric constantly injured. Taylor so far doesn't seem up to the standard for this league. Hinds and McCoulsky likely to go out on loan.

I would definitely be worried if we don't bring in a decent striker.

While all that is true we are not big or rich enough to have 5 or 6 first team strikers on the books.
FD's suspension is something that can happen, you don't buy cover every time someone gets suspended, although this one was a bit weird . Will be expected to start , due to goals and fee.
Djuric had one major problem and then brought back too early, even delayed one  op so we had cover. This year will tell if he's injury prone, but 3 op's in a year is unlucky. Should be fit to cover the first 6 games alongside....
Weimann is seen as a striker, and i don't think payed  £2m for a squad player so will start.
Taylor , agree on him but handy to have on the bench. If he goes maybe we would bring someone in.
Hinds and McCoulsky ,  agree again. But, as emergency back up maybe?

If say, we sign Marriot. It would mean a £5m striker on the bench or that Weinmann agreed join us as back up/rotation which is doubtful. I may be wrong ,  but I'd be surprised if we sign another starting striker, at best I would think we would get someone with potential looking to step up, Eisa possibly. Even then I would expect Taylor to leave further down the line.

I’m very much for the change in policy, surely it’s better to have players with experience of the Championship if you are hoping they will settle quickly and play a key part.

Okay people are concerned about a couple of players being injury prone, that’s the gamble we are choosing to take now, rather than bringing in a foreign player that won’t settle. And to be fair if the players we have just got were perfect they would either be Premiership bound or cost a lot more money. Yes, we are still gambling, any signing is a gamble, but we are doing it differently with probably a lot more knowledge.

Yes, it is exciting finding a Kodjia, but you certainly can waste time and money too. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it and there would be no market for domestic players. Sometimes it’s best the Devil you know. We will find out soon.

Really think a goalkeeper will be the last spot to fill. Would like to think we are recruiting similarly to our new policy.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

3 seasons of under achievement? we have not under achieved, we're bang on where we should be taking history and the strength of the league into account, what we have been doing is improving year on year

Totally agree. History tells us we should be around 20th in the second tier i.e. the Championship. We may not yet be matching supporters expectations, but if clubs did that Newcastle and Leeds would be vying for the Premiership every season (they wish!). I am happy with our year on year progression and the signings (thus far) in this window give us a real chance,I believe, of continuing that. 

9 minutes ago, santibello said:

Shouldn't we also get a decent left back? If Bryan leaves, all we have is Kelly, which is a big risk anyway, and if he gets injured, we're stuffed

You beat me to it - everyone seems to forget we’ve been lacking a solid left back for ages now. 

Even if JB stays I think he’s better in a midfield role so we could really do with strengthening the left side. 

I personally think that City have played a blinder this transfer window with regards to the PR side of the transfer dealings so far.

They got news stories out very early that this would be a difficult window, with major players leaving meaning that when the expected departures came, they were announced nice and early, and the mood was immediately lifted with the new arrivals.

As a consequence, using OTIB as a barometer, the majority of fans are happy with the dealings so far, despite the loss of what many perceived as our best players.

I am pretty unimpressed with the recruitment of players who don't seem of the same standard as those we've let go.  The fact that thus far, we've helped the bank balance is of little interest to me. City's annual losses would cripple most of us for life, but are small change to Steve Lansdown.

HOWEVER I will see if LJ can bring the best out of them. As I say every season, you can't judge people until you see them perform in our team and give them a bit of time to get up to speed.

Be nice to bring in a marquee signing to get excited about though, wouldn't it?

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I am pretty unimpressed with the recruitment of players who don't seem of the same standard as those we've let go.  The fact that thus far, we've helped the bank balance is of little interest to me. City's annual losses would cripple most of us for life, but are small change to Steve Lansdown.

HOWEVER I will see if LJ can bring the best out of them. As I say every season, you can't judge people until you see them perform in our team and give them a bit of time to get up to speed.

Agree with all of that. It can make sense to purchase players who are below the standard of those that have left if the manager has a strong track record of bringing the best out of players. The club clearly have a philosophy of being in the market of selling when their is good business to be done. Of late the big money selling has involved players that were not signed by LJ. Time only will tell whether those signed by LJ will reach the point where they can be sold for a healthy profit and the current purchasing/selling philosophy can be maintained.

I really don't mind the individual departure of players for a healthy fee when the overall collective ability of the squad is on the upwards trajectory. Without at least one marquee signing my feeling is that we are treading water or at worst declining.

Big season for LJ coming up. 

1 minute ago, Rich_s said:

Agree with all of that. It can make sense to purchase players who are below the standard of those that have left if the manager has a strong track record of bringing the best out of players. The club clearly have a philosophy of being in the market of selling when their is good business to be done. Of late the big money selling has involved players that were not signed by LJ. Time only will tell whether those signed by LJ will reach the point where they can be sold for a healthy profit and the current purchasing/selling philosophy can be maintained.

I really don't mind the individual departure of players for a healthy fee when the overall collective ability of the squad is on the upwards trajectory. Without at least one marquee signing my feeling is that we are treading water or at worst declining.

Big season for LJ coming up. 

that doesn't matter into it as he coached them and helped improve them

56 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I understand what you mean but it's equally very important for the club to be at least somewhat sustainable. A lack of income from (eg.) parachute payments means a main way of accruing money for transfers is sales. Lansdown can not & will not just spend copious amounts of money to cover our losses, it's still very important that we make smart sales and smart purchases, financially speaking.

Good solid players brought in with decent experience. Those that have left whilst decent I don’t necessarily think we are worse off and feel the money has been well spent. Obviously time will tell and hopefully having brought them in early it will give enough time to integrate into the squad and more importantly work on the shape and playing style 

If we get a keeper in who can actually pass a ball forty yards without putting it into touch then think it’s been a positive window

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

Good solid players brought in with decent experience. Those that have left whilst decent I don’t necessarily think we are worse off and feel the money has been well spent. Obviously time will tell and hopefully having brought them in early it will give enough time to integrate into the squad and more importantly work on the shape and playing style 

If we get a keeper in who can actually pass a ball forty yards without putting it into touch then think it’s been a positive window

Exactly. Horses for courses. Our needs have changed somewhat. We have lost experience at this level and are seeking to replace it with experience, but still within the stated aims of trying to sign players who have the potential to improve and also appreciate in transfer value. It may be unspectacular, which will never satisfy some people, but it's a solid and sensible response to the circumstances in which we currently find ourselves.

The strategy may well shift again this time next year if those circumstances alter further. Nothing wrong with that. And as someone else pointed out above, we might have struggled this time last year to attract some of these players who have got a significant number of games under their belt at Championship level or above. Our stock has risen a little following the way last season's exploits put us on the map. Some of our own fans may not be too impressed with that, but someone's taking notice and thinks we might have a future...

7 hours ago, Distortia said:

I understand what you mean but it's equally very important for the club to be at least somewhat sustainable. A lack of income from (eg.) parachute payments means a main way of accruing money for transfers is sales. Lansdown can not & will not just spend copious amounts of money to cover our losses, it's still very important that we make smart sales and smart purchases, financially speaking.

I'm not sure any club has ever got out of the second tier by pursuing a cash neutral running cost model. At least in the short-term.

If we want to do it, fair enough, but let's not kid ourselves we're going for promotion then. 

We've sold two players who most neutrals would have seen as amongst the best in this league.

So far we've signed a promising young CB with a record of injuries. Plus some other players who, while fairly experienced at this level, I think it would be fair to say they have never stood out in the way BR and AF did last season.

Then we have a L1 punt we hope will be the next Albert.

Claiming that this is 'good business' seems a bit premature to say the least.

It may work out brilliantly, but on paper at least we seem to have replaced 'stand out' with squad players. Will hold judgement until Oct/Nov and hope LJ can do with them what he did for BR.

Will be interesting to see if we do also bring in what could be called a stand out player with the money left over from our sales.

I think our transfers so far have been excellent. 

On the outgoings, I never really rated Magnússon, Engvall was clearly a dud, Bobby will be missed but to get what we did based on one season of evidence is superb business and Flint, for me, well we needed a change there ; I think we squeezed that lemon enough. 

Incomings are excellent on paper in value, ability and experience levels. 

Watkins - Champ experience, good attitude and work rate. Good squad-filler. Experience of promotions and playoffs.  

Webster - highly regarded as a future prem player by many in the game. Outlay is the most expensive and his cv is probably the least experienced of our signings, but we’re paying for his ability and his potential, as well as his style of play to suit. 

Adelakun - another who is highly regarded in the game. Not champ experienced but one of the best L1 has to offer. And the price will be good. Very worth it. Again, experience of winning promotions and of playing in playoffs.

Wiemann - a superb capture for our club. 4 full seasons of Prem experience where he was not seen as a bit-part. Loads of Champ experience too. Good price. 2 of last 3 seasons helped his club to the playoffs. 

Hunt (if signed) - lots of Champ experience. Highly regarded as a good and reliable right back. 2 of last 3 seasons helped his team to a playoff berth. Previous experience of winning leagues and winning playoffs. 

Overall, we’ve brought in players who we know can perform consistently at this level, plus a couple of very talented younger lads ready to tear it up. And they all have experience of battling at the top end of the league. 

I think we’ve done superbly well so far. 

What would make it great would be the sale of Bryan (regardless of my personal opinion, we are now at a point where we need to maximise the value out of him), a new keeper in the Dan Bentley mould (ie big, commanding, confident and not more than £1mill), an Eisa-type signing to bolster the forward line with a young, but ready, talent, and finally a fiesty centre-mid, in the Graham Shinnie mould, who can also cover left back for Kelly. 

That’ll be a great summer. 

Archived