IGNORED

Thoughts on our 2018/19 transfer policy thus far

Distortia

That's the very optimistic view and I hope this turns out to be spot on.

Another interpretation could be:

Watkins - Norwich fans couldn't wait to get rid.

Webster - stated to be a very promising player by Ipswich fans but regularly injured. May not play much and unlikely to be an ever present in the Flinty mould.

Weimann - while derby fans seemed to like his work rate his finishing and final ball questioned.

Hunt - been around a few clubs but I'd never heard of him. Suspect most championship club fans would know AF, BR and JB. That must tell you something?

Adelakun - like the look of this signing but plenty of L1 players don't make it in this league.

Just for some balance. 

On paper our recruitment so far this summer seem good - plenty of Championship experience, which is what we have all been crying out for. We've also got deals done quickly so the new recruits will have a full pre-season with us. So far so good.

23 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I am pretty unimpressed with the recruitment of players who don't seem of the same standard as those we've let go.  The fact that thus far, we've helped the bank balance is of little interest to me. City's annual losses would cripple most of us for life, but are small change to Steve Lansdown.

HOWEVER I will see if LJ can bring the best out of them. As I say every season, you can't judge people until you see them perform in our team and give them a bit of time to get up to speed.

Be nice to bring in a marquee signing to get excited about though, wouldn't it?

The issue with the finances is not Lansdown, it's ensuring the club can fund itself, it may seem like small change but that's because it's not you pumping millions into something that doesn't give a return. I can fully understand Lansdown wanting the club to fund itself as if he had to sell the club in the future he's still a fan and I'm sure he'd hate to leave the club in a bad way financially. Unfortunately for us fans money is a major part of football these days, sad but true.

With regards to our signings we've sold Bobby and that is a big loss but we've also got a great record of finding strikers and we still have Fammy who is a great striker too. Flint is arguably a massive loss but then again Webster comes into the club with more promise than Flint did which leaves me thinking it's a nice bit of business. We've just signed Hunt who looks twice the right back Pisano is and far more exciting than Wright could ever be playing out of position. Weimann is a bit of a gamble for me but also has good experience which helps the other players, Adelakun looks very exciting IMO and then we have Watkins who I'm really not sure about yet. As a whole I'd say considering the players we've sold we've come away with a squad that has more depth and the potential to have more quality too. I guess what it all comes down to is how well they gel as a squad and how well LJ's tactics work. I don't think we need a marquee signing but if the club wanted to do that to bump shirt sales, get the fans riled up and add a real bit of quality to the squad then I hope we'd be looking at either an experienced goalscorer or a really talented midfielder who plays box to box.

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

The issue with the finances is not Lansdown, it's ensuring the club can fund itself, it may seem like small change but that's because it's not you pumping millions into something that doesn't give a return. I can fully understand Lansdown wanting the club to fund itself as if he had to sell the club in the future he's still a fan and I'm sure he'd hate to leave the club in a bad way financially. Unfortunately for us fans money is a major part of football these days, sad but true.

With regards to our signings we've sold Bobby and that is a big loss but we've also got a great record of finding strikers and we still have Fammy who is a great striker too. Flint is arguably a massive loss but then again Webster comes into the club with more promise than Flint did which leaves me thinking it's a nice bit of business. We've just signed Hunt who looks twice the right back Pisano is and far more exciting than Wright could ever be playing out of position. Weimann is a bit of a gamble for me but also has good experience which helps the other players, Adelakun looks very exciting IMO and then we have Watkins who I'm really not sure about yet. As a whole I'd say considering the players we've sold we've come away with a squad that has more depth and the potential to have more quality too. I guess what it all comes down to is how well they gel as a squad and how well LJ's tactics work. I don't think we need a marquee signing but if the club wanted to do that to bump shirt sales, get the fans riled up and add a real bit of quality to the squad then I hope we'd be looking at either an experienced goalscorer or a really talented midfielder who plays box to box.

No club gives a fiscal return, Spike. Lansdown will have known that when he bought a controlling share. 

As I say, I'll judge the new boys on their performances with us, not on their CVs, but "promise" is the best they have at the moment. Ryan Kent was "promising" when he came here. We know how that ended...

This marquee signing stuff amuses me. It seems to me to be driven by our fans’ desire for publicity/ national recognition... getting someone other fans have heard of. I wonder why we have this need? 

If we look back at our successful signings more often than not they are not this type. In fact the higher profile signings seem to work less well for us. 

Regardless, there’s quite a lot of research to suggest that the success of teams is determined more by the quality of their worst player, not their best. Counter-intuitive I know but football is a team game. 

50 minutes ago, City Ben said:

This marquee signing stuff amuses me. It seems to me to be driven by our fans’ desire for publicity/ national recognition... getting someone other fans have heard of. I wonder why we have this need? 

If we look back at our successful signings more often than not they are not this type. In fact the higher profile signings seem to work less well for us. 

Regardless, there’s quite a lot of research to suggest that the success of teams is determined more by the quality of their worst player, not their best. Counter-intuitive I know but football is a team game. 

Really good point.  Marquee signing is the realms of Real Madrid and Barcelona and Man City, and seem to be based on the whims / ego of the owner / president.

Rge term has permeated into our language, without any real need imho for the level we are at.

I would rather bring in 5 x £2m players than 1 x £10m player in our position.  Where you are the best club, buying one player (the marquee signing) might be the the differentiator.

Since clubs don't view transfers and wages as a separate outlay, I'd wager that the Flint and Reid money will go towards boosting the wages of the players we want to keep, and ones we want to bring in.

One of our biggest problems is that we have a small club mentality. We want success, but we're also wary of the finances, and if the fans are worried about spending it's a sign that the club is nowhere near ready for promotion. By selling an academy prospect for a decent sum, and by selling a solid defender to one of the favourites this year it indicates that we're making that step up. 

This season might be too soon for us, but if the signings we've made this summer pay off then the calibre of player we bring in will improve each year, until we're at a point where we can compete with the best teams in this division.

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

Excellent point!!!!!

16 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Webster - stated to be a very promising player by Ipswich fans but regularly injured. May not play much and unlikely to be an ever present in the Flinty mould.

Weimann - while derby fans seemed to like his work rate his finishing and final ball questioned.

Hunt - been around a few clubs but I'd never heard of him. Suspect most championship club fans would know AF, BR and JB. That must tell you something?

Adelakun - like the look of this signing but plenty of L1 players don't make it in this league.

Just for some balance. 

Oh no, 'robin unreliant' from OTIB hasn't heard of Jack Hunt. Hope Johnson kept the receipt.

The wide players brought in will most likely mean Paterson and Brownhill are freed up to play more centrally - wouldn't be totally disappointed if we don't add in CM.

For me, all that's left (unless/until JB goes) is a GK and perhaps a CF loan deal.

8 hours ago, City Ben said:

Chris Anderson?

His research also suggest that spending more in key positions makes sense. Less top end (marquee?) but spending on key positions.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Chris Anderson?

His research also suggest that spending more in key positions makes sense. Less top end (marquee?) but spending on key positions.

Yep that’s the fella. Review of his book here: 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/24/numbers-game-everything-football-wrong

Also Stefan Szymanski, who wrote Soccernomics.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:05, robin_unreliant said:

Just for some balance. 

Agree, buying a bucket load of players does not mean we will have a better team/squad than last years. You know the squad/team that beat Man U and ran M City close? and the squad that then lost it and dropped like a stone.

LJ will have his work cut out to even find his best 11 let alone get them playing as one. As said before all the other clubs in our div will also have made there own "great" signings, have we forgotten that we don't always sign the best players or play them even...cast your minds back.

We will be doing well to beat last seasons finish.

Archived