IGNORED

England v Sweden : Official Matchday Thread

Red Army 75

Overall our best performance weighted for the opposition I thought.

Solid across the pitch, good on the ball- and when needed Pickford pulled out the big saves.

Apart from the first half hour v Tunisia when we were really into them, definitely our best so far.

On the Colombia game, we handled that with a maturity that not all England sides have displayed down their years. Given some of their players though, bit surprised they were played as dirty as they did if I'm honest.

However yeah, vs a team who while certainly have no stars but beat Italy in playoffs, beat France in qualifying, we did well

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

You can get a flight for £200 - £300 and digs for £20 a night. Both games in Moscow now so no excuses

had no idea it was that cheap, some of the prices earlier were like a grand a night for the hotel and £1500 for a flight.

1 hour ago, South-of-river said:

Just being a realist. Sorry for not being a sheep. 

have a look at Sweden's record in qualifying and their recent form then tell me we haven't played anyone decent, we just didn't allow Sweden to play, believe me they are a decent team. There are to many people saying like you we haven't played anybody yet, well whose fault is that they have all been knocked out because they weren't good enough, if we do win the whole thing will you still say we don't deserve to.

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

had no idea it was that cheap, some of the prices earlier were like a grand a night for the hotel and £1500 for a flight.

Just had a look, more like £400 for the flights but still do-able. It's just winding me up seeing videos of all the English lads and lassies congregating in places like Benidorm. Take it to Russia gents.

12 hours ago, RedSA said:

I understand the frustrations with Sterling but people saying he's shite are way off the mark. We would be nowhere near as dangerous without him. He breaks lines, unsettles and panics defences with his speed, dribbling and pressing, and creates space for the other three to work in. I desperately want him to get a goal or assist as he's working his socks off and just needs that moment to get everything to click into place for him.

His touch v Kane, or finishing? Mark that. 

Work rate should be a given. Follows instruction in a team plan another given.

Maybe BBC at the bequest of Gary Linker these player ratings could be dropped because what people are marking is not lateral and south movement in coach speak but what he does with the ball. Stirling at times looks like something off an athletics track and until he doesn't fans will have opinions . 

38 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Just had a look, more like £400 for the flights but still do-able. It's just winding me up seeing videos of all the English lads and lassies congregating in places like Benidorm. Take it to Russia gents.

with 24 teams on their way home I suppose it was inevitable that prices would come down, bet a lot of the so called big team fans bought tickets in advance that they now don't want. and hotels will now be a lot cheaper with a lot less people about.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

have a look at Sweden's record in qualifying and their recent form then tell me we haven't played anyone decent, we just didn't allow Sweden to play, believe me they are a decent team. There are to many people saying like you we haven't played anybody yet, well whose fault is that they have all been knocked out because they weren't good enough, if we do win the whole thing will you still say we don't deserve to.

HAHA no of course I won’t! I’ve seen a few WC’s and euro’s and it’s always the same... always an anticlimax... I really hope I’m wrong... but I can’t see anything past Croatia... maybe it’s my defences coming up, I couldn’t stand another failure. 

2 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

HAHA no of course I won’t! I’ve seen a few WC’s and euro’s and it’s always the same... always an anticlimax... I really hope I’m wrong... but I can’t see anything past Croatia... maybe it’s my defences coming up, I couldn’t stand another failure. 

I think getting to the semi finals has gone past the anti climax stage, but I know what you mean.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

You keep,saying such things

I assume you are posting from St Petersburg or Moscow are you ?

You realise you need a fan ID or a Visa to enter Russia do you ?

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You keep,saying such things

I assume you are posting from St Petersburg or Moscow are you ?

You realise you need a fan ID or a Visa to enter Russia do you ?

And you keep replying obtusely trying to get a rise.

You obviously dont realise Ive already been to Russia, had a great time thanks and a fan ID is very easy to obtain.

I´ll give you the relevant reference number so you can get one if you like.

23 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You obviously dont realise Ive already been to Russia, had a great time thanks and a fan ID is very easy to obtain.

Thanks for the offer

Ive done 9 tournaments (And went the whole journey)

Im sure there’s plenty who’d love to be out there but work , relationships and money amongst numerous reasons prevent them 

Just because they don’t go to Russia or go to Spain for their holidays doesn’t make them any less

2 hours ago, South-of-river said:

What do you see in Croatia who couldn’t beat Denmark or Russia over 240 minutes worth of football?  They seem to have been hyped over beating a very very poor Argentina side 3-0 and little else 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think it is now easier still: they have ditched the requirement to even provide a ticket reference. 

On 07/07/2018 at 08:37, Harry said:

I know people who were considering going over but it’s just too difficult. 

Few tickets were available immediately so if you did get one, it would’ve cost around £150 and then an expensive flight and loooong train ride. 

Then, more tickets were released late in the week. So you could now get one, which means you could now have your ID/Visa to get into the country, but due to the location  and it being so late, you’d have to fly direct to Samara, which would cost about £3k!! 

The Visa/ID thing has basically stopped English fans being able to get to Russia and take a chance they’d obtain a ticket. In previous tournaments at this stage it’s a case of get to where you need to be and then try to get a ticket. Here, you can’t get to where you need to be until after you’ve got your ticket, and then once you’ve got your ticket it’s nyon impossible to reach the destination in time. 

There wont be many England fans in the stadium today. Perhaps only those that were there for the previous match who’ve managed to stay on. 

That's not entirely true mate. I've got tickets if I wanted them for all of England's games, but obviously 4 weeks would be a long time in Russia - after Kaliningrad I came home and waited until after the Colombia game, then got flights to Samara for £480. Flying up to Moscow on Tuesday for £50.

In addition to England Fans like myself who had tickets conditional on England progressing, I'd say there were hundreds more who came out after the Colombia game having sourced tickets on the FIFA website. But if they hadn't manged to get to get tickets through FIFA, there were loads being sold by Russians, South Americans etc, at the Ticketing Centre and outside the ground. 

The way we dispatched Swedan was very impressive. We looked calm and the result never looked to be in doubt. We have done just enough so far in this tournament but now seem to be hitting form at the exact right time and that’s exactly what you want in tournament football, no point in burning yourself out in the early rounds.

We are due a very big performance from Sterling soon, yesterday was his most impressive performance despite missing the sitters. It’s encouraging that he’s now getting those chances. I still don’t think we have seen the best of Kane, Sterling, Alli and Lingard. If they all put in a top performance against Croatia then we will make the final. I personally wouldn’t make any changes at all for the semi, as a unit we seem to be very effective and I wouldn’t want to risk unsettling that unit by making a change. 

I’m not sure what to think of Croatia. I have only watched them play against Argentina and Denmark, impressive against Argentina but Denmark deserved to win imo. Like Denmark we are an organised side so that gives me confidence. Im hoping Croatia peaked too early and run out of steam against us. Two difficult games in a row where it’s gone to penalities is bound to be quite draining I hope. 

Forget the fact I’m English, as a football fan I’d like to see a France/Belgium V England final. I think it would be more a spectacle with the greatest respect to Croatia. I think France V England would get a lot of people excited.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

With us now having a guaranteed two more games surely Kane must now be red hot favourite to bring home the golden boot?

Hate the 3rd place play-off. I don't want to be involved in it regardless of how well we done to get to a semi etc. They should scrap it.

On 07/07/2018 at 20:58, North London Red said:

First decent performance? Does the Panama game not count because of the perceived weakness of the opposition? And if not, would the performance have counted instead (negatively) if England had played badly and drawn 1-1? Surely England can’t win there - draw or lose against a weak team and then get slaughtered; win and play well against a weak team and it doesn’t count because the opposition were weak.

As for saying Colombia are bereft of quality - sorry, can’t agree. They reached the quarter finals 4 years ago and beat Poland 3-0 in this tournament. They made life extremely difficult for England on Tuesday and generally defended very well. England may not have played brilliantly against them but that was largely because Colombia didn’t allow us to. 

I think people forget it was a record win for us. Yes its "only panama" but we destroyed them, we've never done that before. Did anyone expect that win before the game? Doubt it

We did what we had to do against Colombia, again ive not seen an England team win a game like that for a long time. That's a sort of game where we get a player sent off and limp out e.g. Argentina 98, Portugal 06 etc

Sweden was a very good performance. We made very light work of a team that took the Germans all the way, battered Mexico and dont concede many goals

13 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Hate the 3rd place play-off. I don't want to be involved in it regardless of how well we done to get to a semi etc. They should scrap it.

Absolutely. Two teams devastated that they aren't in the final, Who really cares whether you finish 3rd or 4th. Can't remember now did this happen in 1990?

On 07/07/2018 at 23:15, RedSA said:

I understand the frustrations with Sterling but people saying he's shite are way off the mark. We would be nowhere near as dangerous without him. He breaks lines, unsettles and panics defences with his speed, dribbling and pressing, and creates space for the other three to work in. I desperately want him to get a goal or assist as he's working his socks off and just needs that moment to get everything to click into place for him.

If you don't rate what Sterling has been doing you just dont understand football.

Sure, he could be better in front of goal but most of the time he creates those chances in the first place - not many other players would even be in that position in the first place.

His second chance Saturday was unlucky as the keeper has made a great stop. He should have passed it, but thats probably what happens when you realise you have an army of haters bemoaning your lack of goals. His decision making needs work, but he has the right people around him to encourage that. He's only 23, he could be on fire at the Euros or later in Qatar

On 08/07/2018 at 00:01, downendcity said:

Young slows things down because he is right footed. This means that instead of being able to go past the full back on the outside, he always tends to cut back or to the inside onto his favoured right foot and this stops the flow of moves down his side.

However, several times against Sweden they tried to block him from cutting back inside and he went past and delivered with his left. His delivery from set pieces has been pretty good and I'd still have him over Rose (especially as Rose has had limited game time this season)

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Absolutely. Two teams devastated that they aren't in the final, Who really cares whether you finish 3rd or 4th. Can't remember now did this happen in 1990?

Yeh we lost 2-1 to hosts Italy, Schillaci winner iirc.

20 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If you don't rate what Sterling has been doing you just dont understand football.

Sure, he could be better in front of goal but most of the time he creates those chances in the first place - not many other players would even be in that position in the first place.

His second chance Saturday was unlucky as the keeper has made a great stop. He should have passed it, but thats probably what happens when you realise you have an army of haters bemoaning your lack of goals. His decision making needs work, but he has the right people around him to encourage that. He's only 23, he could be on fire at the Euros or later in Qatar

I predict Sterling will score a very important goal before the tournament is out. It's obvious how important his role is, I think he's actually done it pretty well. It's not too dissimilar from Reid's role in a way, creating space and being a pest. Sterling's pace will worry teams and make their defences instinctively sit deeper which suits us.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I predict Sterling will score a very important goal before the tournament is out. It's obvious how important his role is, I think he's actually done it pretty well. It's not too dissimilar from Reid's role in a way, creating space and being a pest. Sterling's pace will worry teams and make their defences instinctively sit deeper which suits us.

:clap:

Glad somebody gets it

His constant runs are a menace pulling defenders out of shape

As for the pace causing defences to sit deeper (Creating space for others) is spot on - A ex InternationalManager pointed this out to me about our own Junior Bent

Archived