IGNORED

Will Joe "one of our own" Bryan sign a new contract if no move before transfer deadline?

headhunter

Will he?

Bit shabby if he doesn't. He can go for nothing next summer can't he if he's out of contract?

We showed loyalty to Maynard when he crocked himself  for half a season doing [allegedly] an ill-advised dry ski run in the midst of pre-season training. If he had signed his contract we'd have got £7m not £2m which was the "price" for that decision by him.

Surely Joe will accept what  must be an improved offer on his current deal even though that is well short of average Premier League wages.

It will depend on whether he listens to his heart or his agent. Sadly the smart move would be to run down his contract. I'm a big fan of Joe and think  he's an honest type but money talks. The gamble he will have running down his contract is if he suffers an injury or loss of form. I hope if he's going to leave it happens sooner rather than later.

Just a personal guess, but I think Joe only wants to move to the premier league and not to another championship club, gut feeling that if no premier league move comes about he could sign a new contract after the window shuts.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Just a personal guess, but I think Joe only wants to move to the premier league and not to another championship club, gut feeling that if no premier league move comes about he could sign a new contract after the window shuts.

Agree with this 99.99%.

He might be enthusiastic with the new signings.

Pretty sure he’ll be gone this window but if he doesn’t I’ll be amazed if he signs a contract.

If he does, it’ll come with lots of conditions - probably like Flint’s had - whereby we have to accept bids of a certain amount, have to agree to offers if we’re not in the playoffs in January etc..

I am surprised by how many people believe in footballer loyalty, even for academy players I don’t think it’s as much of a factor as some believe.

16 hours ago, headhunter said:

Will he?

Bit shabby if he doesn't. He can go for nothing next summer can't he if he's out of contract?

We showed loyalty to Maynard when he crocked himself  for half a season doing [allegedly] an ill-advised dry ski run in the midst of pre-season training. If he had signed his contract we'd have got £7m not £2m which was the "price" for that decision by him.

Surely Joe will accept what  must be an improved offer on his current deal even though that is well short of average Premier League wages.

he'll always be one of our own, like reid, harley, goldbourne, skuse, as he developed at our academy 

If he wants a move away, surely it's in his best interest to do a Flint.

Sign a year extension, and that'll give his agent at least a few months to find him a move in January, or a future transfer for the summer. That way, there is no bad blood between the player, the agent, or the fans.

It sure beats not being able to play a player that wants out and hasn't got a viable destination.

the only questions are, when, for how much and to whom.

He will leave.

If not now, then next summer on a free. Agents and players have clubs over a barrel when their contracts are nearly up. 

If no-one comes in for him, then that tells you what they think of his ability and character. For me, he blows hot and cold. Either very good or very average. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Joe Bryant strikes me as someone who won’t be motivated by the extra money in a big move.

Very intelligent lad, who seems very down to earth, yes, I’m sure he wants to play at the highest level, but would only be interested if the whole move feels right for himself.

Joe might not be motivated by extra money in a move, but I bet he has an agent who is.

31 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I believe he wanted a move in Jan, but was refused. Perhaps his "loyalty" has accordingly been affected?

His stock would have been very high in the January window after our first half of the season and his performances during that time - especially the Man U televised game. Would not be a surprise that his agent was approached about interest from top flight clubs. Can understand the club rejecting a move given our situation at the time and in view of how our and his form slumped thereafter he might well now feel aggrieved.

We were in a no win position in January if he did want a move.  Given the flack the club received for not reinforcing the squad when we did, what would fans' reaction have been had we sold JB? Unfortunately it might come back to bite us on the bum if his "loyalty" has been lost as a result and he could end up running his contract down, although I am certain the club will do all they can to avoid that as with Bobby Reid.

The issue might be if Joe only wants a move to a premier league club and the fee a prem club would offer is lower than the club would accept or no prem club comes in at all, but a top championship club offers the money we want but Joe won't take that move - Nicky Maynard all over again.

20 hours ago, headhunter said:

Will he?

What does Maynard have to do with anything, and why should Joe accept anything that is less than he could earn elsewhere?

He has had the game time at City because he is/was the best available not because City were feeling charitable about selecting him.

19 hours ago, hodge said:

Not sure about that. 

establishing himself in an ambitious Champ club like Boro or West Brom might suit him and prepare the way from Premier league football this time next year.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pretty sure he’ll be gone this window but if he doesn’t I’ll be amazed if he signs a contract.

If he does, it’ll come with lots of conditions - probably like Flint’s had - whereby we have to accept bids of a certain amount, have to agree to offers if we’re not in the playoffs in January etc..

I am surprised by how many people believe in footballer loyalty, even for academy players I don’t think it’s as much of a factor as some believe.

Its also a two way  street. A player cops a nasty injury six months from the end of his contract no club is going to give him a new 3 year deal if theres a chance he will be a shadow of himself. Thats accepted and loyalty doesn't come into it, so it should be the same the other way around in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What does Maynard have to do with anything, and why should Joe accept anything that is less than he could earn elsewhere?

He has had the game time at City because he is/was the best available not because City were feeling charitable about selecting him.

IIRC with a year left on his contract  Leicester offered £6m (?) for Maynard but he had made it clear he would only move to ` premier league club. Without NM's agreement to move to them we had to reject their bid. Again IIRC, in the January window  we accepted W Ham's £2m bid in order to avoid him leaving for nothing 6 months later. W Ham were a championship club but they did achieve promotion at the end of that season and I don't think anyone came in for Maynard at the time.

It's the same with Joe. He's probably worth , what £6-8m at the moment with 1 year left on his contract. However if he makes it clear he will only leave for a premier league club then it doesn't matter if Boro or Stoke say offer the asking price, Joe will not leave. If no premier league clubs come in for him then, to avoid him going for nothing next year, our only hope is to sell him in January, at which time buying clubs will know he's only got 6 months left on his contract so will offer derisory amounts to buy him.

If the players truly cared about the club 

Reid , Bryan they would sign/or would have signed a new deal for the sake of the club that provided such a wonderful platform and career for them since they were kids . 

They don’t and therefor selfishly look for the most lucrative option for themselves , 

24 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Reid , Bryan they would sign/or would have signed a new deal for the sake of the club that provided such a wonderful platform and career for them since they were kids . 

They don’t and therefor selfishly look for the most lucrative option for themselves , 

...which, in fairness, makes them little different from the rest of us.

Did all of us remain loyal to the employer that gave us our first chance and usually provided training and development that eventually made us more marketable in the employment market place. Did any of us think about that loyalty as we moved to another employer that rewarded us better and/or gave better career opportunities?

The difference between footballers and the rest onus, is that they have only about 10-15 years to maximise their careers, whereas the rest of us have the best part of 40 years, so I suspect their is less room for sentiment when they have to make career decisions.

However, I do wonder how different some player's decisions might be without input of agents, who seem to regard loyalty and sentiment as dirty words?

32 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

The 'AG8' springs to mind.

Legendary club status comes at a cost, walk away with a bulging pocketful of thankyous, and very little else.

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

That's just how football is, it feels a bit naive for people to expect any different.

Football is a very short career, these are young men who are probably earning the most money they will in their lifetimes over the next few years. They have to maximise that and be selfish about it to an extent - they're always one bad tackle away from serious injury.

I can see why footballers would always push to maximise their earnings and play at a high level. 

We get a bit caught up in this romantic notion that just because a footballer came through the club's academy that they care as much as fans do - they don't necessarily. I don't think Bryan does particularly and will move as soon as he gets the chance this window.

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

@Phileas Fogg sums it up perfectly above. I think it's easy to criticise someone for not being loyal when it's your club that's potentially losing out.

But I didn't see anyone on our side critising Adelakum for being a money grabber when he signed for us...no-one said "look how he treated Scunthorpe, he should have signed a 4 year contract so City can pay double what the tribunal would be." He was there since the age of 16 and is likely to cost us below market value if/when it goes to a tribunal. Sometimes you benefit, sometimes you don't.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

IIRC with a year left on his contract  Leicester offered £6m (?) for Maynard but he had made it clear he would only move to ` premier league club. Without NM's agreement to move to them we had to reject their bid. Again IIRC, in the January window  we accepted W Ham's £2m bid in order to avoid him leaving for nothing 6 months later. W Ham were a championship club but they did achieve promotion at the end of that season and I don't think anyone came in for Maynard at the time.

It's the same with Joe. He's probably worth , what £6-8m at the moment with 1 year left on his contract. However if he makes it clear he will only leave for a premier league club then it doesn't matter if Boro or Stoke say offer the asking price, Joe will not leave. If no premier league clubs come in for him then, to avoid him going for nothing next year, our only hope is to sell him in January, at which time buying clubs will know he's only got 6 months left on his contract so will offer derisory amounts to buy him.

Thanks for clarifying the Maynard point and apologies to Headhunter for asking !

Archived