IGNORED

Chelsea sack Conte

myol'man

Cue the "thanks for the seasono" jokes.

It's a shame, because I really liked Conte. Chelsea have a habit of going for egotistical pricks as managers, but Conte was a breath of fresh air. He also succeeded in a season where everyone was jerking themselves to Mourinho and Guardiola, so I think he'll be remembered fondly in England, despite only spending two years at Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

Which international manager has done really well and could be convinced to take a new job next week then??

£10 pound says ex-Chelsea player Didier Deschamps is the man in question.

It'll be the Napoli manager according to the news story

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It'll be the Napoli manager according to the news story

Negotiations have been going on for weeks and have been an open secret.

Conte cooked his own goose by regularly complaining about the transfer policy in public.

Still, he stands to get a £9m payoff.

14 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Just out of interest does anyone think Southgate could now be swayed by a big club given his high stock...not saying the chelsea job but mid table prem team who sack their manager 

He’d be a fool if he did. He’s got the England team back on track and they are just at the beginning of a journey. Why go to a club and get all the hassle? More money? Money isn’t everything.

8 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

He’d be a fool if he did. He’s got the England team back on track and they are just at the beginning of a journey. Why go to a club and get all the hassle? More money? Money isn’t everything.

Agree with this.

Southgate strikes me as someone who likes international football, and the challenge of finishing a job he’s started. Not just talking the World Cup here, but the fact he brought some of those players through the U21 system. He won’t get time to do that, even at an Everton, which notwithstanding Russia, is the maximum size of club he’d be in for at the moment.

Also, international one off success is no measure of success at club level - see Coleman, Chris

14 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Absolutely - Southgate has the most sought after and prestigious managers job in the U.K. There's no club managerial position  that comes even remotely close to being the England manager.

Every PL manager would love the job.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely - Southgate has the most sought after and prestigious managers job in the U.K. There's no club managerial position  that comes even remotely close to being the England manager.

Every PL manager would love the job.

No way...30 years ago the England job would be the pinnacle of any English managers career but not now..not with the money they can earn at big clubs...and if I am being honest I actually think most managers would rather have a chance of winning the premier league and champions league than the World Cup...just my opinion but I think the importance of international football has gone down in significance as much as the fa cup

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with this.

Southgate strikes me as someone who likes international football, and the challenge of finishing a job he’s started. Not just talking the World Cup here, but the fact he brought some of those players through the U21 system. He won’t get time to do that, even at an Everton, which notwithstanding Russia, is the maximum size of club he’d be in for at the moment.

Also, international one off success is no measure of success at club level - see Coleman, Chris

Most international managers say that they miss the day to day involvement with the players, but it might just be the other way around with Southgate.

It didn't go well for him at Boro' and I don't recall any clubs being after him since then. He's worked within the England set up for some time and previously with the under 19s /20s. He will have seen young players progressing through the England set up and I think he has worked with quite a few of the senior squad previously. With the success of the U19s and U20's at their world cups he must see a tremendous opportunity to oversee the next few years of England's progress and development on the back of what has been achieved at the WC - surely beyond his own expectations.

He might be the type of manager who struggles with the day to day man management of players at club level - the gripes and groans of players not being selected, aggro with owners over finances and transfer strategy and agents etc. but is much more comfortable with a group of players coming together every so often and who have bought into a philosophy that they have become used to a more junior international levels and where he just has the players and playing issues to focus on..

3 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Could see him somewhere like Everton. 

He'd be nuts giving up England for the premier league, he wouldn't get one of the top, top clubs so he'd end up with a team who would sack him the minute they were anywhere near the drop zone. With England he will get another two years at least. In the premier if he'd didn't hit the ground running he'd be out after 2 months.

With Chelsea apparently being put up for sale I can see the master plan is in progress. Wally to sell the gas and with the substantial proceeds, buy Chelsea and take Clarke with him. They will the come back with a £10M bid for Harrison only to remember he has a very small sell on clause... I think we know the rest. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Premier League and a FA Cup in under 2 years and he is sacked. Disgrace.

Hardly a shock under Abramovich. For most managers it’s two years and that’s your lot. After the next taxi on the rank, probably the Napoli coach, in two years time it’ll probably be the Russian national manager. 

18 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

No way...30 years ago the England job would be the pinnacle of any English managers career but not now..not with the money they can earn at big clubs...and if I am being honest I actually think most managers would rather have a chance of winning the premier league and champions league than the World Cup...just my opinion but I think the importance of international football has gone down in significance as much as the fa cup

I would tend to agree with you but what Englishmen manage big clubs ?

19 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

I think he'd be a fool to stay. He's set the bar higher, again. No need to threaten how his time with England will be looked back upon by going into a Euro's where people will once again expect us to go far. Took him 22 years to exorcise the memory of last Euro's he was involved with...

If I was him I'd run, retire completely and never have to buy my own beer again. Something Chris Coleman should have done too! 

Archived