IGNORED

Life withouth Flint/Reid/(maybe Bryan?)

LocoPal

So, i did not attend this afternoon's match, but perhaps ... who cares? I mean, Shrewsbury. What a draw that is?

Did we play well? We are now missing our best heading ball winner at the back and of course our very own tenacious scrappy-doo in Bobby Reid

What a season! (we had, last season)! 

So, what do you think of the new recruits played today?

Do we we have an improved squad this season without Flint & Reid?

Seems we have bought in squad fillers so far to replace the two ever-presents, top level consistent performers who formed the spine of the team.  Lee, I fear, is going again for his quantity not quality approach. 

My hope is we now buy 3 real quality players to create our new spine. We need a keeper, ball winner/distributor/leader midfielder and a centre forward.

If we do that we’ll be fine, if we don’t then MA might as well come out at the start of the season that we ain’t ready to go for promotion and put us out of our misery. 

Would have thought by now the Academy would be providing all our ‘squad filler’ needs and we could be concentrating all our buying efforts on elite players. Maybe that will be the 2019/20 season. 

Really do wish ‘the management’ would tell us about the strategy though, critically, against a timeline. 

Interested to see the likes of Webster & Weimann described as “squad fillers” both were regulars at Ipswich & Derby last season, which is not too shabby.

3 weeks until we play Forest and then the permanent transfer window shuts a few days later.

Still expecting 3 more arrivals and probably 2/3 departures, slight concern we look lighter in terms of goals at present but probably better defensively.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Interested to see the likes of Webster & Weimann described as “squad fillers” both were regulars at Ipswich & Derby last season, which is not too shabby.

3 weeks until we play Forest and then the permanent transfer window shuts a few days later.

Still expecting 3 more arrivals and probably 2/3 departures, slight concern we look lighter in terms of goals at present but probably better defensively.

Time will tell.

They both did play a fair few games but the majority of fans couldn’t wait to see the back of weimann and were delighted with the 2 million they got which in nowadays money is a splash in the ocean so that tells us something,of course my own eyes watching him against us then he isn’t much cop but will run all day but that’s a minimum you would expect 

^ this. Wasn’t Webster reported as being injury prone? 

Just comparing our incomings vs outgoings. Outgoings were our Mr Consistents in availability (both injury and suspension free - apart from Flinty’s slight indiscretion at Preston) , form and effort. We don’t seem to have many of those left now and our newbies  - trusting fans reports (which I do, as they’ve been historically more accurate than Lee’s assessments) - don’t fill me with any great confidence that they’ll be any more than squad players (some on the basis of lack of availability due to injuries).

We need real quality signings now to fill the gap left by Flint and Reid.  

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Seems we have bought in squad fillers so far to replace the two ever-presents, top level consistent performers who formed the spine of the team.  Lee, I fear, is going again for his quantity not quality approach. 

My hope is we now buy 3 real quality players to create our new spine. We need a keeper, ball winner/distributor/leader midfielder and a centre forward.

If we do that we’ll be fine, if we don’t then MA might as well come out at the start of the season that we ain’t ready to go for promotion and put us out of our misery. 

Would have thought by now the Academy would be providing all our ‘squad filler’ needs and we could be concentrating all our buying efforts on elite players. Maybe that will be the 2019/20 season. 

Really do wish ‘the management’ would tell us about the strategy though, critically, against a timeline. 

You think the academy should provide all the 'filler? Seriously?

The academy is there to provide players that are good enough to push for a first team place. Nothing more or less. There's not an academy in the country that can do that, let alone one that has only been operating at a decent level for a handful of years. 

With regards to the spine, I would like to think Baker, Smith and Diedhou are already in place for that. If we can (a big if) replace any of those with better players then by all means go for it but i personally think we will struggle considering the size/reputation of us and our financial constraints compared to others in our league with bigger reputations and budgets. 

With the signings made I am feeling confident for the season ahead. Plenty of pace and power added which will help us keep up our pressing game for 90 minutes rather than 60 and for 9 months rather than 5.

The quality/marquee signings haven’t always worked out for us although I think there is plenty of quality in the additions. There seems to be a mindset that if a player doesn’t cost £5m+ then he is a squad-filler. 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

......the majority of fans couldn’t wait to see the back of weimann....

How on earth do you know that?! Another great sweeping generalisation......a few comments on a forum will never constitute a ‘majority’.......and you also know they were all delighted with the fee?! How do you know that?

7 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

You think the academy should provide all the 'filler? Seriously?

The academy is there to provide players that are good enough to push for a first team place. Nothing more or less. There's not an academy in the country that can do that, let alone one that has only been operating at a decent level for a handful of years. 

With regards to the spine, I would like to think Baker, Smith and Diedhou are already in place for that. If we can (a big if) replace any of those with better players then by all means go for it but i personally think we will struggle considering the size/reputation of us and our financial constraints compared to others in our league with bigger reputations and budgets. 

I do. Lee, having signed 30 odd players, in what, a couple of seasons should have got a core squad of 20-25 together. We should have been at the stage of just supplementing that squad with additional quality/replacement quality for those sold at a profit.

The Academy, after 20 plus years of existence, should be feeding through sufficient players by now to avoid us going out buying half a dozen extra squad fillers imo.

Personally, not keen on bloated squads more of a Cotts man myself with smaller squads high on quality. 

Promotion push this season?

Who is, was seriously expecting it? Selling Flint and Reid may have had financial necessity but it IMO put the kybosh on the idea of a promotion push.

Couldn't make it down Saturday but I read on here about 4-4-2? Surely Paterson and Weimann is a 4-4-1-1 with Paterson in the 10 role and Weimann as the replacement for Reid? Others were there though so interested to hear about that shape.

How did Webster play? Was he the ball playing centre back we were all hoping for- I know it's a friendly v Shrewsbury but did he have that intent and did he look comfortable doing so?

Hunt? Was always under the impression he was injury prone which given Pisano's in and out track record last year is far from encouraging.

However promotion or even playoff contenders? Forget it at this stage with no Flint, Reis and maybe Bryan. Probably mid table IMO.

14 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I do. Lee, having signed 30 odd players, in what, a couple of seasons should have got a core squad of 20-25 together. We should have been at the stage of just supplementing that squad with additional quality/replacement quality for those sold at a profit.

The Academy, after 20 plus years of existence, should be feeding through sufficient players by now to avoid us going out buying half a dozen extra squad fillers imo.

Personally, not keen on bloated squads more of a Cotts man myself with smaller squads high on quality. 

Smaller squads which meant we had only 6 players on the bench at times? 

None of the players signed so far are squad fillers, I'd view Webster as a big upgrade on Flint and I'd imagine an upgrade on Reid will come. Hunt, according to a journalist from Yorkshire is one of the best right backs in the league, that's a quality squad filler then. Watkins is adored by Barnsley fans, didn't work out for him at Norwich but he obviously has ability, again doesn't sound like a 'squad filler'. Adelukan was one of scunthorpes best players last season and they are gutted to see him go, and I doubt he would be leaving to be a squad filler here. Weimann has played over 100 games in the premiership and was a regular for Derby last season, no chance of him coming here to be a 'squad filler'. 

Basically, to claim any of the new signings are squad fillers is a load of nonsense in my opinion. In fact I'd say our team at the minute is stronger than it was last season

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is, was seriously expecting it? Selling Flint and Reid may have had financial necessity but it IMO put the kybosh on the idea of a promotion push.

Couldn't make it down Saturday but I read on here about 4-4-2? Surely Paterson and Weimann is a 4-4-1-1 with Paterson in the 10 role and Weimann as the replacement for Reid? Others were there though so interested to hear about that shape.

How did Webster play? Was he the ball playing centre back we were all hoping for- I know it's a friendly v Shrewsbury but did he have that intent and did he look comfortable doing so?

Hunt? Was always under the impression he was injury prone which given Pisano's in and out track record last year is far from encouraging.

However promotion or even playoff contenders? Forget it at this stage with no Flint, Reis and maybe Bryan. Probably mid table IMO.

With no Flint we'll be much more solid defensively, which was our main weakness last season. Although I agree there is very little chance of play offs, replacing him with Webster has made that chance greater not worse

15 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Agree, players signed so far should be better than the last transfer windows efforts but, will they really make us better than we were with Reid/Flint. We have now a couple of strikers from the div below another who is going to be missing for the first games and yet another who was missing for most of last season through injury.

Lets be fair here its going to take a while for LJ to even sort his best team and even longer for them to "gel" there will be trouble ahead.

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

can't believe Bryan is still here. I would have thought someone woud have signed him unless we think he is better than he is maybe we want to much for him. 

Or.........JB isn't rated as highly by other clubs as he is by us City fans.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Or.........JB isn't rated as highly by other clubs as he is by us City fans.

He was played as a left back for much of last season where he was inconsistent.  He will not get a big money Premier League move off the back of that and I expect that is what he wants.

4 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

He will not get a big money Premier League move off the back of that and I expect that is what he wants.

Im not sure that he wants to move at all.

He's a local lad, has his family all close by, earns a decent wedge and has a very comfortable lifestyle. If he's not motivated by money why would he want to move?

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Think lesson were learned via all the signing though I imagine you are dishing out some injustice with the amount of signings. Probably 7-8 loans in there plus some like Smith, Moore and Bakinson who were never for the first team. 

Anyway, despite the amount of signings, we never got the right experience in. Focused too much on youth and european bargains. So our depth actually lacked. We only had a real core 16 or so last season who we’d all be comfortable playing a large portion of matches. So injuries and fatigue played a massive part in our downfall. Ok Webster and Weimann replace Reid and Flint. Have to see how that works out but Watkins, Adelakun and Hunt all come in to make the squad stronger. Watkins and Hunt in particular fill two problem spots for us over the past couple seasons. 2.5m for two legitimately experienced player in this league which is what everyone has been asking for. Not to mention the replacements have significant experience as well and aren’t lower league or european punts. I get being skeptical but be a bit fair too. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

can't believe Bryan is still here. I would have thought someone woud have signed him unless we think he is better than he is maybe we want to much for him. 

I suspect he wasn’t any teams first choice at premier league level and why would he be when you factor in cost. Fulham for 5m euro signed a LB that has played europa league football for a top 6 side in France for the past few seasons. Burnley have LBs so probably not a priority. Everton looking abroad for value too and again for not much more can get a champions league LB. I imagine everyone is comfortable waiting it out for a last minute deal. Could be a new deal on the table ready to be signed days after the window closes if no prem offers. I wouldn’t be shocked if that scenario plays out. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don’t expect a playoff push. Would not he surprised though. Have quality but keeping it all on the pitch will be a challenge. Over to you new medical staff!

Can’t read too much into Shrews game. Looked liked they paired each other to start but Pato drifted wherever the longer the match went along. A role that suits him though Weimann needs bodies around him I feel. Probably at his best next to Fam or Milan if he stays. 

Webster played ok imo. Fans will remember his runs forward but defensively I need to see more. They had big forwards and he struggled a bit with that. Not massively but enough to wonder. What I do like is he uses both feet on the ball and looked comfortable on the right and left side. Need to see him more

Hunt was very wasteful. Hopefully just rust and lack of understanding. Pisano not a LB and makes some rash challenges. Thought he looked comfortable at CB for a half. Only a year left on his deal and am comfortable with him as a reserve defender. 

Mad to expect playoff losing key figures like that even if the replacements look good. Still need to gel them together and no Fam for a month does not help either. I’d be a bit peeved if we were 6-7 points worse off though. Our recruits are good business but not cheap either. Needs to be some expectation and mine is to finish in a similar spot to last season but with less injury and more consistency(no more 8-10 games with 1 win 3 draws and 6 losses). Need to show character and turn a bad 3-4 game stretch around and pick performances up

13 hours ago, LocoPal said:

So, i did not attend this afternoon's match, but perhaps ... who cares? I mean, Shrewsbury. What a draw that is?

Did we play well? We are now missing our best heading ball winner at the back and of course our very own tenacious scrappy-doo in Bobby Reid

What a season! (we had, last season)! 

So, what do you think of the new recruits played today?

Do we we have an improved squad this season without Flint & Reid?

Webster in my opinion is an upgrade on AF. More than capable aerially in defence and better technique with the ball at feet and can bring the ball out from the back.

Still think we need a keeper and apparently looking at Cairns Fleetwood keeper.

The other newcomers yet to impress tbh but early days and expect the Bournemouth game to be a good yardstick as to fitness, technique and our style of play.

Still think we are in for Marriott and could happen in next few weeks

Archived