IGNORED

the other lot have an open day,why don't we have one anymore?

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Didn’t gas do one on a Monday at like midday a couple of seasons ago. Remember a few of their fans moaning because all the **kids would be in school & ***the parents would be at work. :doh:

**shoplifting, picking heather & making pegs

***selling lucky heather, pegs and miscellaneous knock offs, and blackstuff' ing driveways. 

Hi all, @Neo @RedM

Thought I’d jump in here and explain what’s happened this season. The open day was effectively replaced by open training sessions at Ashton Gate. I went to the one last season where I believe a few hundred fans turned up to watch the team train and get autographs with the team. 

We had planned to do one this season, however the extra home game against Shrewsbury Town was added to the fixture list. We work closely with the ground team who maintain the pitch and ensure it’s in top condition and agreed with them that we would not do open training so that they had time to work on the pitch, given the extra match was added. 

At the end of the Shrewsbury game we asked the players to stay on pitch side where they spent time signing autographs, taking photos and talking with fans. 

If we can find an opportunity to hold an open training session later in the season we will (based on fixture list and agreement from the ground team).

Hope that helps to provide a bit of insight.

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all, @Neo @RedM

Thought I’d jump in here and explain what’s happened this season. The open day was effectively replaced by open training sessions at Ashton Gate. I went to the one last season where I believe a few hundred fans turned up to watch the team train and get autographs with the team. 

We had planned to do one this season, however the extra home game against Shrewsbury Town was added to the fixture list. We work closely with the ground team who maintain the pitch and ensure it’s in top condition and agreed with them that we would not do open training so that they had time to work on the pitch, given the extra match was added. 

At the end of the Shrewsbury game we asked the players to stay on pitch side where they spent time signing autographs, taking photos and talking with fans. 

If we can find an opportunity to hold an open training session later in the season we will (based on fixture list and agreement from the ground team).

Hope that helps to provide a bit of insight.

Matt

Why was it replaced?

The open day was a real calendar event attended by thousands -a 'few hundred' turning up for an open training session is really not an adequate replacement, as shown by the very clear reduction in interest and attendance.

I think it's a real shame that the club no longer does open days, especially considering there are numerous behind the scenes areas since the AG re-build that most fans don't get the chance to see. My kids would love a chance to see things like the changing rooms. 

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I think it's a real shame that the club no longer does open days, especially considering there are numerous behind the scenes areas since the AG re-build that most fans don't get the chance to see. My kids would love a chance to see things like the changing rooms. 

I've done the Wembley tour and our facilities are easily comparable with that. I've been lucky enough to have seen and as I said I am very impressed with our facilities both for the players and the corporate people.

On 22/07/2018 at 08:44, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why was it replaced?

The open day was a real calendar event attended by thousands -a 'few hundred' turning up for an open training session is really not an adequate replacement, as shown by the very clear reduction in interest and attendance.

Any update on this, @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO ?

On 21/07/2018 at 10:01, Nogbad the Bad said:

Open days when both Millen and Coppell were managers - 2010 and11? I had a photo with both.

Also when they had the huge squad/fans photo with yellow shirts - in the Atyeo - if that wasn't one of those seasons.

your photo's were normally the kiss of death for a manager........ go get one with johnson please

• Admin
On 21/07/2018 at 08:02, Never to the dark side said:

Don't think we have had one for a few years,

how are we supposed to attract new fans to Bristol City?

Perhaps it is just something lower league clubs now concentrate on?

On the basis we have 15k+ season card holders in place for next season with a third of that kids, we are not really in the need to worry about attracting new fans

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Perhaps it is just something lower league clubs now concentrate on?

On the basis we have 15k+ season card holders in place for next season with a third of that kids, we are not really in the need to worry about attracting new fans

with all the workshops and such we put on through the summer, is there a need any more?,

Do leeds, wednesday, forest have open days?

I don't know the official reason why it was replaced as that would have happened before i joined the club.

All I can think is that it if an open day is attended by thousands it could become difficult to manage, so my guess is that it would have probably be deemed safer to run an open training session where all fans get the same level of access and insight into a training rather than disappointing fans who turn up in there thousands, and then get turned away because it is too busy. At least with open training session you know you will be able to cope with the demand on the day. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

I don't know the official reason why it was replaced as that would have happened before i joined the club.

All I can think is that it if an open day is attended by thousands it could become difficult to manage, so my guess is that it would have probably be deemed safer to run an open training session where all fans get the same level of access and insight into a training rather than disappointing fans who turn up in there thousands, and then get turned away because it is too busy. At least with open training session you know you will be able to cope with the demand on the day. 

any chance you could ask Matt? just wondering

2 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

That was my own uninformed guess earlier in the thread, but I thought you might be in a position to find out the reason for definite.

Is there no one left at the club from those days you could ask?

24 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Couldnt be any more difficult to manage than the recent World Cup games on the big screens with over 6000 attending inside and outside?

After all, the open days was aimed towards the Bristol City FC kids of the future!!!!!!!

From my time working at Arsenal i know that whenever the squad did a signing session it would take an hour to do a signing session for around 300 fans. If thousands of fans are expecting autographs its never going to happen unfortunately, leaving many disappointed people. 

Like I said I will try and find out why the change, however not sure who is still at the club who would know. Leave it with me, but to manage expectations I may not get anywhere until next week due to other things happening this week at the club. 

Matt

2 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

All I can think is that it if an open day is attended by thousands it could become difficult to manage, so my guess is that open days are only really held by tinpot lower league clubs who get shite attendances, so there’s unlikely to be any issue with “too many” turning up. 

These types of clubs also don’t want to add another event on to their pitch, like an open training session, so as to avoid needing to cover it in sand before the end of August. 

Thanks for the update, Matt. 

3 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

That was exactly the case. The open days became the victim of their own success, and it became impossible to give every supporter  the chance to meet the players, get an autograph and a selfie, have a chat about the season etc. Successive managers became increasingly protective of the players, and didn't want them out in the sun for hours on end at a crucial part of pre-season. In the end, it became almost impossible to control the day, and many supporters ended up with upset children who hadn't had the chance to meet their favourite player. 

21 minutes ago, Dave L said:

That was exactly the case. The open days became the victim of their own success, and it became impossible to give every supporter  the chance to meet the players, get an autograph and a selfie, have a chat about the season etc. Successive managers became increasingly protective of the players, and didn't want them out in the sun for hours on end at a crucial part of pre-season. In the end, it became almost impossible to control the day, and many supporters ended up with upset children who hadn't had the chance to meet their favourite player. 

so it's all your fault then Dave,

1 minute ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Successive managers became increasingly protective of the players, and didn't want them out in the sun for hours on end at a crucial part of pre-season and took them to Africa instead ...

which resulted in city doing a league and cup double

On 22/07/2018 at 08:44, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why was it replaced?

Because extra training or a match can contribute to the on field performance?

30 minutes ago, TBW said:

Because extra training or a match can contribute to the on field performance?

No, that wasn't the  excuse reason.

It was meant to be the one day fans - including many who perhaps couldn't afford to attend matches regularly - were put first, and the players learnt exactly what the club means to the fans, and their expectations of the players, by having to mingle and chat with the ordinary fan.

The whole 'City family' being given the opportunity to meet their heroes and explore their home ground.

The day the club opened up to the supporters rather than there being fenced off areas and closed doors all over the place.

A real opportunity for the club to gel with it's public and It's a poor show it doesn't happen anymore, whatever the reasoning given.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:02, Never to the dark side said:

Don't think we have had one for a few years,

how are we supposed to attract new fans to Bristol City?

I don't think they have an Open Day to recruit fans it is more on the lines of trying to recruit players.

I think that where they found Sinclair in a cardboard box outside the Mem, then things went from bad to worse for the poor git.

Don’t think any Sag would of enjoyed their open day tbh, a pretty much bare trophy cabinet, white plastic chairs scattered everywhere, portakabins galore, more tents than Calais, and on top of that they announce over the tannoy that their star player was being sold :laughcont:

Archived