IGNORED

We're just not an attractive proposition

Top Robin

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It's not Swedish beer that's the problem. it's the Swedish vodka!

Especially when you have it on your breakfast cornflakes.

18 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

If I was Steve Lansdown i would buy land to rebuild plots like the "Dutch house" making it affordable living for true people. **** the Bristol "elite"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dutch_House,_Bristol

I'm impressed that you know about The Dutch House. I'd guess and say that a good 50% of current Bristolians have no knowledge of this erstwhile Bristol landmark. Unless,  you are providing us with a coded message that we are going to sign Tim Krull and building a house designed by him is part of the deal!

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

According to Lee Johnson we need to bring on steel whatever that is. Marley Watkins is hardly steel. Is Sugar Daddy feeding little Lee?

In my opinion the people in leading positions don't know anything about football.

Bring on another 100 shit seasons.

Come and dig me up after the first 40 Tommy and give me an update on progress

I think the OP is right to a point. In some respects I think even the club acknowledge this, hence picking up Gems with potential from European leagues. It is a gamble that does not always work, take Engvall et al for example. But then look at Kodjia sold for huge profit. Also we look to our home grown talent take Bobby Reid for example. Nurtured at Bristol City and sold for a huge price tag for his limited success and unknown ability (in the prem) 

I think we can attract players but I think those players will see our club as a bit of a stepping stone to bigger things. 

Anyone else agree?

Some players won’t see us an attractive proposition but others will. Bristol and the surrounding area is a great place to live. The evidence is the number of ex players still living in the area, or who have retained a property in the area. 

If some see us as a stepping stone so be it. I don’t care provided they do the job required of them while they’re here. Perhaps it’s the case that every player who moves onward and upward is using a club as a stepping stone? Bale using Spurs to get to Real Madrid, or Coutinho using Liverpool to get a move to Barcelona. 

Our beer is often strong. Most people drink beer 5,6- 5,9 alcohol. We also have beer 7,5 10,5 and 12. About City i think we are growing slowly and Im glad Landsdown is the boss. Our crowds gett bigger, we had an fantastic cuprun, never forget Man U home. This season we have 3 signings from other championship teams, Unusual. The sell of Reid and Flint, good buiseness. This is our fourth season, this time, in championship.18 17 and last season place 11. If we get higher than 11, I think so, then we progress. Think we are on the right track.

15 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

I think the OP is right to a point. In some respects I think even the club acknowledge this, hence picking up Gems with potential from European leagues. It is a gamble that does not always work, take Engvall et al for example. But then look at Kodjia sold for huge profit. Also we look to our home grown talent take Bobby Reid for example. Nurtured at Bristol City and sold for a huge price tag for his limited success and unknown ability (in the prem) 

I think we can attract players but I think those players will see our club as a bit of a stepping stone to bigger things. 

Anyone else agree?

In a way, this is an essential by product of our current player strategy.

While we are looking to bring in players that can help improve the first team and squad,  by looking at younger players, who we hope will improve, should we not be able to hold on to them they can be sold at a profit in the future - the profit being then used to further develop the squad. Until we become recognised as promotion candidates, i imagine  this will likely be the case for a while/ 

You mention Bobby Reid and I also think developing our own young players is going to be an increasingly important element over the next few years. Bobby and Joe Bryan established themselves as key first team players  Kelly is close to breaking through and by comments on here, we have another clutch of youngsters with real potential to challenge for first team players soon.

All of this makes our academy a very attractive proposition to young players looking at the various academies around the country. The top young players will still probably be seduced by the academies at the likes of Chelsea and the silly money they can offer, but the fact that there is a clear route to the first team being established here must be attractive for players keen to develop a career and not just build a bank balance.

I'm not suggesting that our academy will produce the bulk of our first team, but even though it might go against the grain for those fans who are convinced that the only ay to success is to spend big on established championship players, If we can produce a few more players of the ability of Reid and Bryan it is quite possible that academy graduates could play an increasingly significant part in the club's progress.

12 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Our beer is often strong. Most people drink beer 5,6- 5,9 alcohol. We also have beer 7,5 10,5 and 12. About City i think we are growing slowly and Im glad Landsdown is the boss. Our crowds gett bigger, we had an fantastic cuprun, never forget Man U home. This season we have 3 signings from other championship teams, Unusual. The sell of Reid and Flint, good buiseness. This is our fourth season, this time, in championship.18 17 and last season place 11. If we get higher than 11, I think so, then we progress. Think we are on the right track.

Couldn’t agree more

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

According to Lee Johnson we need to bring on steel whatever that is. Marley Watkins is hardly steel. Is Sugar Daddy feeding little Lee?

In my opinion the people in leading positions don't know anything about football.

Bring on another 100 shit seasons.

You are a total numpty who's clearly not a city fan...... Or a raving acholoic who's had to many Shandy's!

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

This implies that we've just had 100 shit seasons. I beg to differ. 1975-76 wasn't too bad as we got promoted to the top flight. We also had our moments in the top flight over the next 4 years. If we don't count the war seasons then the 100 seasons would stretch back to about 1907, when we finished runners up in the top flight and two years later were runners up in the cup. So, Tommy, I wouldn't agree with your implication that we've had 100 shit seasons (and will have another 100), though had you rephrased  It and stated 'Bring on another 100 seasons of which about 91% will be crap,' I would have difficulty arguing about it.

us old un's who have supported city for 50,60,70,years would like to see City in the premier league just cant see this happening with the current set up Lansdown Johnson and co

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You are a total numpty who's clearly not a city fan...... Or a raving acholoic who's had to many Shandy's!

Think we need a poll.

1 minute ago, GIBBO THE GREAT said:

us old un's who have supported city for 50,60,70,years would like to see City in the premier league just cant see this happening with the current set up Lansdown Johnson and co

When were you appointed spokesman for ALL us old 'uns?

There are players signing for Chinese clubs, even players signing for Welsh clubs. It's down to what's on the table, history and geography come afterwards.

We as a club are trying to do things gradually. Last time in the first division we were one of the top payers, it appeared we mostly got our targets, we all know what happened after.

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Steve can set up a trust securing the wealth for coming generations and give the shit total ass head Bristol elit a lesson they will remember for many moons to come

Who are the Bristol elite?

:dunno:

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Just hearing about our transfer targets and then the painfully long time for any decisions leads me to believe that its not just the negotion between the clubs which takes time. I am sure that many player targets do not see us as a an attractive proposition. As a City fan it pains me to think that they would see us as having little historical success, lowish attendances and an average ground in a non passionate footballing city but they are probably right in some ways.

So we are always going to be up against it when we are trying to attract players against any Prem side and then the likes of Forest, Wednesday, Derby, Villa, Sunderland, Borough etc etc 

My point is thats its sometimes the player who holds off for a more attractive club to come in for him rather than join us.

Players wont be interested in history. 

As per any other job, its the £ that counts! Plus whether theyre interested in a ‘project’ that the club may try to sell to them. 

20 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Lansdown will not pay the wages. One of the major reasons we do not sign quality players.

Has FFP passed you by? Lansdown can't just pay the wages.

Even if he could he has no intention of putting the club in financial trouble. We have been down the road of paying more than we can afford before and it led to League One.

6 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Just hearing about our transfer targets and then the painfully long time for any decisions leads me to believe that its not just the negotion between the clubs which takes time. I am sure that many player targets do not see us as a an attractive proposition. As a City fan it pains me to think that they would see us as having little historical success, lowish attendances and an average ground in a non passionate footballing city but they are probably right in some ways.

So we are always going to be up against it when we are trying to attract players against any Prem side and then the likes of Forest, Wednesday, Derby, Villa, Sunderland, Borough etc etc 

My point is thats its sometimes the player who holds off for a more attractive club to come in for him rather than join us.

You speak for yourself . I am a very attractive proposition . Just ask Rudolf,

:disapointed2se:

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

No big surprise - its always been an issue both historically and geographically. City have no significant history and the West Country isn't exactly a cauldron of football as the likes of Liverpool and London are.

Some players see our area as a dead pool.

Which in itself is strange as many players that join have tended to stay in the area. Russell Osman, Alan Walsh, Alex Russell Joe Jordan I think. To name a few. It can't be that bad surely.

30 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Which in itself is strange as many players that join have tended to stay in the area. Russell Osman, Alan Walsh, Alex Russell Joe Jordan I think. To name a few. It can't be that bad surely.

Players at the end of their careers sometimes stay in the area where they finished. They're settled, kids in school an established social circle.......and come to appreciate what a lovely part of the world the West Country is.

It's  attracting younger players with their careers ahead of them that's been a problem.

Unfortunately IMO we need a BIG name manager to attract BIG name players. Unfortunately little LJ does not fit the bill. That does not guarantee success I know but the way football is heading, it most definitely helps.

Currently BCFC is treated like a kind of “wilderness outpost” by many in the football world - and has been for many years.

Difficult to ID what the answer is whilst LJ is manager, we need success from LJ to change thinking.

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Unfortunately IMO we need a BIG name manager to attract BIG name players. Unfortunately little LJ does not fit the bill. That does not guarantee success I know but the way football is heading, it most definitely helps.

Currently BCFC is treated like a kind of “wilderness outpost” by many in the football world - and has been for many years.

Difficult to ID what the answer is whilst LJ is manager, we need success from LJ to change thinking.

I don’t think for one minute having a name manager in itself attracts players. It’s the money that the name manager can offer that brings that. People weren’t falling over themselves to sign for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink at Burton just because he was a top level striker. However, Zola rocks up at Brum offering top dollar and people fall over themselves to sign. The issues have been well teased out in this thread - location and money. Simply put, we have to pay more because of where we are geographically and the sale job LJ and MA do has to be top notch. A big name manager means jack unless they have the resources to back it up - this is not a “Lee Johnson” problem!

Archived