IGNORED

Why so difficult to sign a keeper ?

Major Isewater

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we seriously think we are going to find a keeper who can pick players out with 50-60 yard balls (and under pressure at times) a la a Emerson or even anywhere in sight of his standard (And is also a decent keeper in his primary role)

I honestly believe

1 We will find it very hard to identify a keeper who can do that and is happy to play in Championship

2 I don’t believe we could win the race to sign him , or afford him , or be prepared to pay the fee that would be demanded

can anyone honestly suggest such a keeper ?

Im starting to fear that we will throw a lot of money at a keeper who is actually not markedly better than FF

Get out of here with that sense and logic!

tbf I think we do need to improve in that position and should be looking to sign one or two but unlikely we will get the finished article. Someone with a lot of potential and/or a loan would be most likely

9 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Agree. Most people seem to assume LJ wanted to replace FF... perhaps the plan was always to have FF as first choice? Now his injury makes things tricky was we suddenly need a reliable  number one.... who is likely to end up as back up. 

There’s no update on how long FF will be out - if it’s only a few weeks what’s wrong with giving O’Leary a go? He can always be loaned in January.  The one time I saw him play for Solihull last season he was superb.

the fact LJ has tried to replace him 3 times already says he doesn't think FF is a number 1 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we seriously think we are going to find a keeper who can pick players out with 50-60 yard balls (and under pressure at times) a la a Emerson or even anywhere in sight of his standard (And is also a decent keeper in his primary role)

I honestly believe

1 We will find it very hard to identify a keeper who can do that and is happy to play in Championship

2 I don’t believe we could win the race to sign him , or afford him , or be prepared to pay the fee that would be demanded

can anyone honestly suggest such a keeper ?

Im starting to fear that we will throw a lot of money at a keeper who is actually not markedly better than FF

Ederson makes few 50-60 metres passes, what he does is make lots of pass 20m+ and in particular 30m+ passes to his full backs wide and high. There are countless Keepers who can play those balls. Academy kid goalkeepers do it frequently with success.

Frank Fielding ? Does not make lots of either. Much of this is down to the instruction of Lee Johnson but Frank Fielding does not inspire confidence with the ball at his feet and rarely leaves his box to become an option, or move confidently to the edge of it to manage space. It would be a simple ask to improve upon that, instruction to do it more often would improve City's distribution and management of space behind the back four, unless Lee Johnsons tactical approach is not to manage the ball through the thirds/play high.

The why above may be quite interesting. Fans have this impression that BCFC are attempting to be a slick passing football team. I have never seen anything Lee Johnson has said in the past that indicates this passing team would build from the Keeper. 

FF is a more than decent shot-stopper at Championship level. His distribution is generally not that bad, except the goal kicks. But given that he seems to be asked to kick a ball 60+ yards to arrive at head height and within 5 yards or less of the side line, I can understand the challenge, and see why it frequently goes out, as a minimal error will lead to him missing the small target area..

At this level, my perception is that FF's biggest challenge is crosses, especially corners. He is short by goalkeeping standards, and in the time he has been with us, he has always had Flint as a defender in front of him, whose job it has been to defend crosses. How he copes without that cover, or whether Baker now takes over that role, will be one of the challenges of this season.

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Ederson makes few 50-60 metres passes, what he does is make lots of pass 20m+ and in particular 30m+ passes to his full backs wide and high. There are countless Keepers who can play those balls. Academy kid goalkeepers do it frequently with success.

Frank Fielding ? Does not make lots of either. Much of this is down to the instruction of Lee Johnson but Frank Fielding does not inspire confidence with the ball at his feet and rarely leaves his box to become an option, or move confidently to the edge of it to manage space. It would be a simple ask to improve upon that, instruction to do it more often would improve City's distribution and management of space behind the back four, unless Lee Johnsons tactical approach is not to manage the ball through the thirds/play high.

The why above may be quite interesting. Fans have this impression that BCFC are attempting to be a slick passing football team. I have never seen anything Lee Johnson has said in the past that indicates this passing team would build from the Keeper. 

basically we need a sweeper keeper, or a decent ball playing centre half we can knock it out to to retain possession 

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

basically we need a sweeper keeper, or a decent ball playing centre half we can knock it out to to retain possession 

You are assuming that is they way the team will play - Building from possession. If it is not the attributes are less desirable - Not necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You are assuming that is they way the team will play - Building from possession. If it is not the attributes are less desirable - Not necessary. 

aye I am assuming that based on the recruitment we've carried out

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If LJ instructs FF to kick to the wings knowing that over half the time it goes out of play then surely that is an error from the coach.

He  should get him to roll it or pass it out short more often to keep possession.

I have strongly suspected as it’s continued that it’s an instruction , with a view that there are a lot worse places the ball could end up , than in the opponents half in their hands for a throw in which we can try and box in

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I have strongly suspected as it’s continued that it’s an instruction , with a view that there are a lot worse places the ball could end up , than in the opponents half in their hands for a throw in which we can try and box in

I agree but I prefer that Frankie mixes it up more in favour of keeping possession with short relaunching of the ball. 

In addition if , as is the fashion these days , the opposition play a high pressing game then they will move up field on our short goal kicks leaving space behind them that our nippy wingers and midfielders can exploit.

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Surely in order to build from the back with max options, we need both. 

A ball playing centre back and a sweeper keeper or at least one definitively comfortable on the ball. Subject to cost and availability obviously, but think Fulham, Brentford, Wolves...(admittedly Ruddy's passing stats are not stellar).

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree but I prefer that Frankie mixes it up more in favour of keeping possession with short relaunching of the ball. 

Tbf he will when he has a straightforward option on

People can go beresk at him finding touch but surely they must realise that for it to happen week in week out it’s something the head coach is ok with

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tbf he will when he has a straightforward option on

People can go beresk at him finding touch but surely they must realise that for it to happen week in week out it’s something the head coach is ok with

I have often seen LJ lose his rag with Frankie for booting directly out of  play ! 

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

8th

Thanks Monkeh, I knew it was better than some might think. Seem to remember that if you took the kicking stats out, he was even higher. Sure I read that on a topic on OTIB. But 8th says to me that he isn’t as bad as some on here would have you believe. COYR

38 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Thanks Monkeh, I knew it was better than some might think. Seem to remember that if you took the kicking stats out, he was even higher. Sure I read that on a topic on OTIB. But 8th says to me that he isn’t as bad as some on here would have you believe. COYR

Crossing stats. Frankie Fielding is not in the top twenty for claims and punches. 

Again it can be a case of not what you want your Keeper to be not as bad at, but what you want your Keeper to be genuinely good, or excelling at.

Archived