IGNORED

Why so difficult to sign a keeper ?

Major Isewater

It’s a very good question. My own take on this. That as a club we have a smallish pot and that is spent on outfield players. IMO we see the keeper situation as the last port of call . Then when we need one the money isn’t there. As a club we have had some terrible loan keepers. I just reckon the GK position is the least important 

The annoying this is if you look at Leeds last year, us a few years ago, when there's been injuries and there isn't enough keepers then the whole season turns bad. If we sign that Steffen, with Maenpaa looking to be a permanent then I think that that is great business. otherwise we still need a no.1

42 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There must be hundreds of quality keepers out there how come it's so difficult to sign one ?

This always used to be an easy position to fill .

We keep finding them but let the potential ones slip through our fingers but a few we have researched we have kicked into touch.

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Szczesny?

:clap:

Ive always wondered what would happen if they had a Pole on Countdown - " Can I have a consonant, another, another, another, another , another, another, another and a vowel!"

I’ve often wondered the same as the O.P.  You look at the premier league and surely there are second or third choice keepers available? You’d think we could match the wages and value of quite a few of them. Is it the keepers are happy to sit on the bench or play in the reserves picking up the money? 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

There must be hundreds of quality keepers out there how come it's so difficult to sign one ?

If we are stuck we can always play the Tinman himself in goal. He was always ok.

I'm sure LJ will want a keeper capable of employing the different distribution methods. That's an area where FF has struggled by finding touch too often rather than his target. 

It was partly Joe Hart's lack of that particular skill that has seen him  move on from Man City and lose his England no1 spot.

I actually don't think that FF is that poor. His weakness is his kicking but that apart his another keeping skills are pretty good.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the first game.

34 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Thing is, you may pay £1 million for a keeper who can save you a goal a game, but how much would you have to pay for a striker who scores a goal a game.

A goal keeper will very, very rarely win you a football match. 

They can certainly help to stop you losing one, but to win matches you need goals scored. Hence the difference in values. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m sure that signing a keeper is easy enough. We obviously want the right keeper. One that is first team ready, for Chsmpionship football. 

There aren’t that many available. Every club needs one & then has at least one other decent back up for the bench. 

Not many teams will sell their 1st choice keeper, so the options are certainly more limited. 

I’d say it was actually one of the hardest first team positions to recruit. 

47 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

It’s a very good question. My own take on this. That as a club we have a smallish pot and that is spent on outfield players. IMO we see the keeper situation as the last port of call . Then when we need one the money isn’t there. As a club we have had some terrible loan keepers. I just reckon the GK position is the least important 

Probably the most important position.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

How many keepers have we signed over the past few seasons that have ousted FF? I should imagine that puts a lot of potential signings off.

Or makes us more fussy on who we sign to replace FF. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure LJ will want a keeper capable of employing the different distribution methods. That's an area where FF has struggled by finding touch too often rather than his target. 

It was partly Joe Hart's lack of that particular skill that has seen him  move on from Man City and lose his England no1 spot.

I actually don't think that FF is that poor. His weakness is his kicking but that apart his another keeping skills are pretty good.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the first game.

I would , he’s injured 

Archived