IGNORED

Steve Johnson - RIP

'Orns

9 hours ago, Offside said:

I think it was Hollowhead who scored. The wind held up the ball, confusing our defence and keeper, and fell kindly to him. At some point in that match Rambo lobbed their keeper but the wind carried the ball over the crossbar.  Typical of their bloody jammy luck against us in the 1980s.

Strangely enough I was just about to mention this (wonderful) game!  The wind did indeed play a part, for Holloways goal at the Tote end of the ground, we had a free kick, the City defence rushed out to play offside but left 3 2or 3 Rovers players onside, and then as you say Johnson appeared to have equalised and somehow as the ball was dipping into the net , the wind lifted it over the bar! Never seen anything like it before or since. Obviously God is Gas :)

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 23:06, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember that game, didn’t the wind blow the sand from the speedway/greyhound track into our faces for pretty much all the game or have I got that woefully wrong?!

I remember the game with the sandstorm but can`t remember the score - mind you, didn`t the sand blow in your face pretty much every time we went there, IIRC it was awful for it in THAT cup game too.

Archived