IGNORED

Niklas Eliasson

Steve Watts

Thought he was excellent tonight.  His crossing was superb and he has so much pace and skill.  He's got a lot of minutes this pre-season which suggests that Lee is looking to use him a lot this season.  Could be a big year for the lad.

Eliasson tearing down one wing and CoD tearing down the other will be a nightmare for full backs this season.  Can't wait to see how this squad develops.  Bring on Forest!

He was excellent, hopefully he and O'Dowda prove the point players sometimes need 12 months to settle in (especially if they're younger). Looks like he could be a big player for us this season. Having him as an option also frees up Paterson as an option centrally as well. 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

He was excellent, hopefully he and O'Dowda prove the point players sometimes need 12 months to settle in (especially if they're younger). Looks like he could be a big player for us this season. Having him as an option also frees up Paterson as an option centrally as well. 

and says to Pato   ... heeey,   you faded at the end of last season no place is a given, or to ANYONE for that matter. There is a new kid on the block  

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

and says to Pato   ... heeey,   you faded at the end of last season no place is a given, or to ANYONE for that matter. There is a new kid on the block  

Paterson's always played better through the middle, saw it in a 5 minute patch where he drifted centrally this evening as well.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Paterson's always played better through the middle, saw it in a 5 minute patch where he drifted centrally this evening as well.

Pato's an excellent player and I am a big fan but he faded big time tail end of last season. I always think of him as a Tomlin, only one who gives a shit too. Looked sharp pre-season, so fingers crossed for Pato for the season. Good guy too  

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Pato's an excellent player and I am a big fan but he faded big time tail end of last season. I always think of him as a Tomlin, only one who gives a shit too. Looked sharp pre-season, so fingers crossed for Pato for the season. Good guy too  

Moved out left in the second half of the season which didn't help him, he's best when he's allowed to drift in and out of space which playing centrally behind the striker allows, playing left wing he had to be more restrained. 

All we need now is for the fans to back off and to not start moaning and whinging like spoilt kids the minute the first few things he tries against Forest don;t quite come off. The guy has the talent, give him the time and the rewards are sure to come...

40 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

39 minutes ago, hodge said:

Moved out left in the second half of the season which didn't help him, he's best when he's allowed to drift in and out of space which playing centrally behind the striker allows, playing left wing he had to be more restrained. 

Exactly what hodge said. Pato's second-half form is basically worth writing off as that is not his position. He was excellent when played correctly. Round pegs round holes.

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Exactly what hodge said. Pato's second-half form is basically worth writing off as that is not his position. He was excellent when played correctly. Round pegs round holes.

Played on the left tonight(allowed to drift) and played very well. Partnered Weimann second half and wasn’t as effective. He can play anywhere but actually think he is harder to mark when he starts on the wing. 

His form last season dipped after his virus which I think was the biggest factor. That and I just don’t think he has the body type to play so much. Got options now so should only see the best of Pato now. 

This time last year LJ had the pitch narrowed to suite the pressing game we adopted.

It sounds like we are continuing with the pressing game, but perhaps a little modified from last season. From the highlights I've watched Elliason looks like a traditional winger, giving us width we've perhaps lacked.

In view of this does anyone know whether the pitch width has been increased from last season?

His cross to Weimann was one of the best I have seen. Must have picked him out from a good 40 yards or so. Not seen a cross like it since I watched Real Madrid v Sevilla in the Euro Super Cup a few years ago. Bale with a similar cross to Ronaldo. Ronaldo put it away though but Weimann was unlucky. Did everything right and if it was on target Begovic would have saved it. Was top quality that and gave the crowd a good buzz for a few min after

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Amazing what happens when you give someone who’s clearly got the ability and creativity a chance, should of happened a long time ago.

To be fair he did get chances, didn’t take them with the exception of a couple of performances. 

Hopefully this is his season as it was Bobby Reids last!

10 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

All we need now is for the fans to back off and to not start moaning and whinging like spoilt kids the minute the first few things he tries against Forest don;t quite come off. The guy has the talent, give him the time and the rewards are sure to come...

This is crucial.

With Eliasson's crossing style he's going to hit the first man sometimes and over hit a few because he tries to generate a lot of pace. But with this approach they're going to be a lot more dangerous than a floated cross that only a Djuric or Fam would have a chance of getting.

With the whipped type of cross it gives even our smaller players a chance of getting across the defender to get an effort on target.

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

His corners impressed me too. They caused panic in their defence every time he put one in, they were going into such dangerous areas - someone like Tammy would fill his boots with service like that.

That would be an improvement.

How many times in the last couple of seasons have our corners ( and free kicks) failed to clear the first defender?

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

That would be an improvement.

How many times in the last couple of seasons have our corners ( and free kicks) failed to clear the first defender?

I know he wasn`t good for much else but one thing Ryan Kent could do was take a good corner/wide free kick - remember Fam`s first goal on his comeback v Forest (?)

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

To be fair he did get chances, didn’t take them with the exception of a couple of performances. 

Hopefully this is his season as it was Bobby Reids last!

He clearly wasn't fully ready last season and needed time to develop outside/on the edge of the first team.

With patience and the right development hopefully Eliasson will turn from 'another failed foreign signing' to a key player for us.

Same goes for Taylor Moore, Liam Walsh and probably Eisa, they'll need time but could be quality for us in the next few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

He clearly wasn't fully ready last season and needed time to develop outside/on the edge of the first team.

With patience and the right development hopefully Eliasson will turn from 'another failed foreign signing' to a key player for us.

Same goes for Taylor Moore, Liam Walsh and probably Eisa, they'll need time but could be quality for us in the next few seasons.

I’m hopeful!

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I hope, and think, that the club's "ones for the future" strategy might now be starting to pay off.

IIRC O'Dowda was the first of this type of purchase, and I remember so many fans being very sceptical after his first games for us. However, prior to his injury he was becoming an important player for us and seemed stronger for building himself up. It now looks like Elliason might be following a similar route, where his first season here was assimilating to a new club, way of playing and also getting himself stronger for the challenges of championship football.

Perhaps, with similar patience, players like Walsh and Taylor-Moore can also develop so that they can challenge for first team places. If so, then the club will be getting great value for money. 

Archived