IGNORED

Niklas Eliasson

Steve Watts

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I hope, and think, that the club's "ones for the future" strategy might now be starting to pay off.

IIRC O'Dowda was the first of this type of purchase, and I remember so many fans being very sceptical after his first games for us. However, prior to his injury he was becoming an important player for us and seemed stronger for building himself up. It now looks like Elliason might be following a similar route, where his first season here was assimilating to a new club, way of playing and also getting himself stronger for the challenges of championship football.

Perhaps, with similar patience, players like Walsh and Taylor-Moore can also develop so that they can challenge for first team places. If so, then the club will be getting great value for money. 

It was a bit of a similar path for Josh B as well even though he did have a fair few games at this level before we signed him. I have high hopes for Walsh, not so sure about TM but will wait and see.

13 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Thought he was excellent tonight.  His crossing was superb and he has so much pace and skill.  He's got a lot of minutes this pre-season which suggests that Lee is looking to use him a lot this season.  Could be a big year for the lad.

Eliasson tearing down one wing and CoD tearing down the other will be a nightmare for full backs this season.  Can't wait to see how this squad develops.  Bring on Forest!

Down the right I guess you mean. Well last season in that position he was shocking and never looked like beating anyone, let alone a cross. He is left footed so basically played out of position. Give him a run on the left and we might see some potential.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I hope, and think, that the club's "ones for the future" strategy might now be starting to pay off.

IIRC O'Dowda was the first of this type of purchase, and I remember so many fans being very sceptical after his first games for us. However, prior to his injury he was becoming an important player for us and seemed stronger for building himself up. It now looks like Elliason might be following a similar route, where his first season here was assimilating to a new club, way of playing and also getting himself stronger for the challenges of championship football.

Perhaps, with similar patience, players like Walsh and Taylor-Moore can also develop so that they can challenge for first team places. If so, then the club will be getting great value for money. 

Likewise Josh.

The trouble is some fans want instant success from young players and get on their back, or the coach's, if they don't get it.

They also seem to expect a 100% success rate with signings, something no club achieves.

Personally I enjoy seeing players develop over time more than big money, so called big name, signings.

Not just youngsters either, it has been great to watch the likes of Flint and Pack improve over time, a tribute to them and those who have coached them.

2 minutes ago, core321 said:

Down the right I guess you mean. Well last season in that position he was shocking and never looked like beating anyone, let alone a cross. He is left footed so basically played out of position. Give him a run on the left and we might see some potential.

He played on the right for much of last night's game and caused all sorts of problems. It gives him different options and the defence different problems.

And of course your wide players can always switch back and forth during a game so the opposition don't settle into a defensive pattern so easily.

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Likewise Josh.

The trouble is some fans want instant success from young players and get on their back, or the coach's, if they don't get it.

They also seem to expect a 100% success rate with signings, something no club achieves.

Personally I enjoy seeing players develop over time more than big money, so called big name, signings.

Not just youngsters either, it has been great to watch the likes of Flint and Pack improve over time, a tribute to them and those who have coached them.

Very true, on  both counts China.

The other thing is that over time we should hopefully develop something like a conveyor belt of young players coming into the club. If successful then some of them will move on , but hopefully for a decent profit, which the club can reinvest in better players.

At the same time we seem to be developing decent talent through our own academy. Bryan and Reid are shining examples of it's success, both in terms of making our own first team, but also in Reid's case( and hopefully for Joe as well) when they do move to bigger and better things, substantial fees coming back to the club for re-investment in new players. Kelly and Vyner seems to be the next clutch of players that will challenge for first team places, with a few more hopefully not far behind.

None of this precludes the club reinvesting transfer fees received into buying more experienced and expensive players, but I well remember the young team that Dicks developed in the 70s with a core of Bristol boys,and others, developed through the then youth structure. They didn't do to badly, so lets hope we might see something similar developing here over the next few seasons.

13 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Amazing what happens when you give someone who’s clearly got the ability and creativity a chance, should of happened a long time ago.

Or you believe the manager who said he is a young player and wasn’t ready and has spent the last year coaching him. Now he’s ready. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Likewise Josh.

I think this is something that has been glossed over during Flint's move, and when we talk of moves for Pack and Bryan.

For all that's said about LJ, you cannot argue that these three have all progressed under his coaching team to the point at which they are making, or being linked to, big moves.

All three players have played their best football, in this division, under LJ. Flint especially I remember often being a liability under SC in the championship. 

Archived