IGNORED

Starting XI versus Forest (Merged)

Wolf Island

What is your preferred starting XI for the forest match? Mine would be

O’Leary; Pisano, Webster, Wright, Pring; Smith, Pack, Eliasson, Walsh; Eisa, Weimann 

Until the injury situation improves we will struggle to pick up points I fear.

Depends also on who will be fit, who will still be here and who may arrive. 

O'Leary

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan or Pisano. I'd play Pring if J Bryan gone

Brownhill Smith Pack Eliasson. 

Patterson and Weimann.

That is what I think the team will be. It's not what I would do. 

Weimann hasn't been a striker for years and isn't much of a goalscorer.

With that in mind I'd go:

O'Leary, Hunt, Webster, Baker, Bryan/Kelly/Wright; Smith, Pack; Weimann, Paterson, Eliasson; Eisa.

Didn't get down to the game on Friday and haven't seen much of Eisa beyond his goalscoring record so if he doesn't suit a 4-2-3-1 Taylor could do a decent job.

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

O'Leary

Hunt ..... Webster ..... Baker .....Bryan

Brownhill .... Pack .... Smith .... Eliasson

Weimann ......Eisa

If O'Dowda is fit then he'd start ahead of Brownhill. 

Yep would agree with this one for outfield players . Only difference would be keeper as my assumption is that if we get one then they’d be considered an upgrade on O’Leary and so would play .. 

1 minute ago, Brann-red said:

Yep would agree with this one for outfield players . Only difference would be keeper as my assumption is that if we get one then they’d be considered an upgrade on O’Leary and so would play .. 

Went with players we have at the moment, O'Leary the clear choice at the moment.

I see no reason why with all these wide players we would continue to play a CM out there.

Brownhill can fight for his place alongside Pack or Smith. 

Assuming O'Dowda and Adelukan are unfit:

O'Leary

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan

Elliason Pack Smith Paterson

Wiemann Eisa

3 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Fridays first half team will start if all fit and no GK comes in.

Really? 

Taylor to start? Wow. I wouldn’t even have him in front of Djuric or Eisa for the subs bench.

Brownhill on the right & Paterson off Weimann looked miles better.

Would be absolutely gobsmacked if we didn’t get a keeper in.

4 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Fridays first half team will start if all fit and no GK comes in.

I think it will be the line up when Taylor went off, with Patterson moving in behind Wiemann and Smith on.

O'Leary 

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan 

Adelakun Smith Pack O'Dowda 

Wiemann 

Eisa 

Not sure if all those players are fit but that would be my preferred starting 11. A new keeper (Ruddy) would be great. I think Brownhill needs to push Smith or Pack for a CM place now as we now have proper wingers. If Hakeeb and Callum aren't fit then i'd like it to be Pato and Eliasson. Hopefully this season we stay injury free and players can play in their natural positions. 

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I see no reason why with all these wide players we would continue to play a CM out there.

Brownhill can fight for his place alongside Pack or Smith. 

Assuming O'Dowda and Adelukan are unfit:

O'Leary

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan

Elliason Pack Smith Paterson

Wiemann Eisa

I said to chuck Brownhill out right as despite being a CM he's very good out right, think he's better out right then Pato is out left personally. Also put Eliasson onto his left foot rather than having to cut back in repeatedly to get onto it.

21 minutes ago, Negan said:

O'Leary 

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan 

Adelakun Smith Pack O'Dowda 

Wiemann 

Eisa 

Not sure if all those players are fit but that would be my preferred starting 11. A new keeper (Ruddy) would be great. I think Brownhill needs to push Smith or Pack for a CM place now as we now have proper wingers. If Hakeeb and Callum aren't fit then i'd like it to be Pato and Eliasson. Hopefully this season we stay injury free and players can play in their natural positions. 

Eliasson has to start after his pre-season or it would be a massive kick in the teeth for him

6 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Is bailey still captain ? 

Hasn't been announced but wouldn't matter too much if he were to act as club captain imo, we've had a couple of players do it in recent years and then the vice captain being the regular on pitch captain.

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think he will go with this team but Smith for Watkins with Brownhill on the right

Could see that. Will be some discussions every match I think this season. There will always be a couple unlucky not to start. 

New GK

Hunt   Webster   Baker   Bryan

Brownhill  Smith   Pack   Elliason 

Pato

Weimenn

Think this will be our starting 11 until players come back from injury / suspension.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

O'Leary

Hunt ..... Webster ..... Baker .....Bryan

Brownhill .... Pack .... Smith .... Eliasson

Weimann ......Eisa

If O'Dowda is fit then he'd start ahead of Brownhill. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Depends also on who will be fit, who will still be here and who may arrive. 

O'Leary

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan or Pisano. I'd play Pring if J Bryan gone

Brownhill Smith Pack Eliasson. 

Patterson and Weimann.

That is what I think the team will be. It's not what I would do. 

46 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think he will go with this team but Smith for Watkins with Brownhill on the right

Signing all those wide players, but still playing Brownhill out wide. 

Most difficult team to pick for some time.

Keeper , I still hope for incoming but otherwise only one option.
RB : surely has to be Hunt 
LB : unless things move quickly , Bryan. 
CB's : Wright would be a starter as Captain (is he fit?) : Webster was a major signing so he should start but for most of last season Baker was our best defender. I'd say with doubts over BW then Webster and Baker.
CM: Pack nailed on. The other position is not so certain. I like Brownhill in CM, but I think a lot depends on how attacking LJ wants to be. Solid means Josh at RMF, attacking it'll probably be COD. I didn't see the Bournemouth game very well , on my phone on holiday, but it sounds like Eliasson is pressing and as the other new winger is injured he could be a likely start. JB,MP,KS,NE
Then we have maybe Pato and COD vying for the No10 position behind Weimann is likely. Djuric an impact sub. 

With so many knocks and injuries it's very difficult, add the new players and all the options we have (and then players returning) I doubt it will settle into a first Xl until after Fam's back.  

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Signing all those wide players, but still playing Brownhill out wide. 

Adelakun, Watkins and O'Dowda all injured, as said I believe Brownhill right mid is better than Pato left mid, also allows Eliasson on his left foot without cutting back.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Adelakun, Watkins and O'Dowda all injured, as said I believe Brownhill right mid is better than Pato left mid, also allows Eliasson on his left foot without cutting back.

Not sure Watkins is injured, reported he missed out on Friday because he was rested due to concussion.

Be very surprised if he wasn’t in contention at least for the bench 8 days later.

1 hour ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

O’Leary; Pisano, Webster, Wright, Pring; Smith, Pack, Eliasson, Walsh; Eisa, Weimann 

Pisano..?! Are you ******* mental...?!! 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure Watkins is injured, reported he missed out on Friday because he was rested due to concussion.

Be very surprised if he wasn’t in contention at least for the bench 8 days later.

Well concussion comes under injury, depends on the severity, medical staff would be slated if they let him anywhere near a match day if he weren't 100%, concussions can keep players out for weeks if they're bad.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What part is concerning?

Quite a lot actually. Our potential goalkeeping issue unless we sign someone before Saturday, or O'Leary is calm and plays like a seasoned professional. Our current midfield pair, again we do not strengthen our most weakened area. Too many times opposition in the past opposition have ran through unchecked and unchallenged. Giving the view it is our defence that has issues.

Another concern of mine is we do not seem to have real quality attacking power. Diedhiou is banned, and we do not know what will come with Eisa. I'm not convinced we have improved from last season but merely side stepped.

However, this is all team on paper talk. So hopefully I am proved wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Your preferred 11 would put Pring ahead of Bryan, Pisano ahead of Hunt and Walsh presumably out wide?

Why don’t you put your head above the parapet and name your own team rather than picking holes? Be gone foul troll.

48 minutes ago, Cider red said:

LINEUP111532887128186.png

That is my guess at Saturdays lineup. But Weiman will be up top imo. Bench of O’leary, Pisano, Taylor, Brownhill, Djuric, Adelukan?, Wright. What has struck me from trying to pick the line up is how short we are at centre half now that we have lost the multitasking of Magnússon. COYR 

44 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Why don’t you put your head above the parapet and name your own team rather than picking holes? Be gone foul troll.

O’Leary, Hunt, Webster, Baker, Bryan Eliasson, Smith, Pack, Paterson, Eisa, Weimann 

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Weimann hasn't been a striker for years and isn't much of a goalscorer.

With that in mind I'd go:

O'Leary, Hunt, Webster, Baker, Bryan/Kelly/Wright; Smith, Pack; Weimann, Paterson, Eliasson; Eisa.

Didn't get down to the game on Friday and haven't seen much of Eisa beyond his goalscoring record so if he doesn't suit a 4-2-3-1 Taylor could do a decent job.

I think weimman will be more of a goal scorer here than at derby. For one, he’ll get more chances in the position we’re playing him. 

Plus off the limited amount I’ve seen of him, he’s got the energy to play that high pressure game, which gave Reid 5-6 of his goals at least, just from forcing defences into mistakes.

13 minutes ago, Jcolebristol said:

I think weimman will be more of a goal scorer here than at derby. For one, he’ll get more chances in the position we’re playing him. 

Plus off the limited amount I’ve seen of him, he’s got the energy to play that high pressure game, which gave Reid 5-6 of his goals at least, just from forcing defences into mistakes.

Think Weimann will be fine. He has talked about playing in his favoured position and you can’t discount what that can bring to someone’s mindset. Look at the goal the other night. Right place at the right time. Also you mention the pressing which I think suits him. BR had bits of his game which we will all miss like his touches and turns in tight spaces but Weimann should add the press just as effective plus I think he will(barring injury) notch around 12 goals as a modest estimate. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think Weimann will be fine. He has talked about playing in his favoured position and you can’t discount what that can bring to someone’s mindset. Look at the goal the other night. Right place at the right time. Also you mention the pressing which I think suits him. BR had bits of his game which we will all miss like his touches and turns in tight spaces but Weimann should add the press just as effective plus I think he will(barring injury) notch around 12 goals as a modest estimate. 

This. He`s been played out of position at Derby and was still picked most weeks in a successful side so he must have something about him. He was never going to get in ahead of Vydra so it looks like the manager wanted him in their side for other reasons. I`m looking forward to seeing him play in his favoured position.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

This. He`s been played out of position at Derby and was still picked most weeks in a successful side so he must have something about him. He was never going to get in ahead of Vydra so it looks like the manager wanted him in their side for other reasons. I`m looking forward to seeing him play in his favoured position.

Me too. Derby didn’t quite work but wasn’t a disaster. He can come good. 

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

O’Leary, Hunt, Webster, Baker, Bryan Eliasson, Smith, Pack, Paterson, Eisa, Weimann 

Good selection. Personally I think Bryan will be gone by next weekend sadly. I can see why you’d go for Paterson but I’m worried that he went awol for the second half of last season. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Good selection. Personally I think Bryan will be gone by next weekend sadly. I can see why you’d go for Paterson but I’m worried that he went awol for the second half of last season. 

Looks quite sharp in preseason. Just think he may be someone we need to monitor over the season. Think he burnt out last season(plus the virus he had). Think when everyone fully fit he may find himself more of a really good impact sub. Will get starts too but not sure he can play 60-90 min for 46 matches

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would envisage

O'Leary

Hunt, Baker, Webster, Bryan

Eliasson, Smith, Pack, Brownhill

Paterson

Wiemann    

subs: Eisa, Wright, Adelukan, Woolacott, Pisano, O'Dowda, Taylor depending on fitness.

I can’t keep up - is Djuric injured? If not, he has to play....

Still hard for me to fathom how many people don’t have Brownhill in the team or not centrally. Though if we are going to change based on matchup it would not surprise me to see Pack and Smith play against Forest as it is in my eyes our more defensive pairing and Forest look strong on paper. 

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

No way will Eisa start on Saturday. You should all start getting over it now

Exactly, i'll be staggered if he starts, amazed soo many think he will, (bar keeper if one signs)  I agree it will probably be Fridays 1st half team maybe a decision on Pato in a number 10 or Taylor up front the only query.

5 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Yes I Think Lee will start with Eleven but will we end with Eleven?

56 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Still hard for me to fathom how many people don’t have Brownhill in the team or not centrally. Though if we are going to change based on matchup it would not surprise me to see Pack and Smith play against Forest as it is in my eyes our more defensive pairing and Forest look strong on paper. 

It was hard to fathom and you fathomed it next sentence.

I am saying Brownhill wide as a one off. Its one game against a good team and all the other widemen are injured bar Elliason who I would play and Pato who I would put number 10 as he is better than Taylor there

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It was hard to fathom and you fathomed it next sentence.

I am saying Brownhill wide as a one off. Its one game against a good team and all the other widemen are injured bar Elliason who I would play and Pato who I would put number 10 as he is better than Taylor there

I'm surprised so many people think those of us suggesting it think we're saying its a long term tactic, yes we've signed a lot of wingers but we're missing at least 3, Josh then remains one of the best options out wide for this game. Especially with Hunt behind him who I think may need some help from the winger this season defensively. 

2 hours ago, Jcolebristol said:

Maybe. I work with Villa and Derby fans and both have said his finishing isn’t up to much... but he can’t be as bad as Matt Smith at least right? ;)

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Max(or new GK)

Hunt Webster Baker Bryan

Watkins Brownhill Pack Eliasson

Weimann Pato

Gk: yep

Back 4: yep

Midfield: yep, Marley concussed, so think he’ll come back in.  Pack as captain.

Forwards; yep

Think it might be a bit 4231, but Pato drifting around Weimann.

Bench:

Max (or new GK)

Wright

Pring

Smith

Taylor

O’Dowda

Eisa

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's our sixth choice striker now so can't imagine him starting. 

I’m not sure about that at all. I know you don’t like/rate him - but 6th choice?

If he stays fit, I’d hope to see him play very regularly. Incredibly useful player but because we haven’t seen him fully fit much/at all, people seem to forget.

I would say currently with Diedhiou out that we will see Patterson behind Weidmann as first choice, with Eisa (Pace) or Djuric (target man) replacing Weidmann whilst Taylor will compete with Patterson for the No10 role.

Interesting to see (after Friday) that a few didn't rate Hunt, whereas I thought he had a good game, combined well with Elliasson, and had decent amount of pace to cover any issues.

I don't necceassarily agree but cant see past this lineup for LJ

GK

Hunt        Webster    Baker      Bryan/New LB

Brownhill       Smith   Pack       Elliasson

Patterson

Weidmann

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s all gone quiet on his purported move back to Italy so I assume he’s actually staying?

Salernitana have come back with an improved bid, LJ says he wants to keep him but it is “down to the player” seeing as he used Diedhiou instead of him v Bournemouth (and he can’t play again until September) I reckon he’s off.

Shame, offers us far more than Taylor does..

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I rate him in a long ball team. I think LJ though has him behind Diedhiou, Weimann and Eisa as the main striker. And that's 6th choice if you include the number 10s. 

I think it's a bit of a stretch if you include the likes of Paterson as a 'striker'. He'll be used as a number 10 which, as we saw with Paterson and also Reid last season, is a pretty different role.

I think someone like Djuric is incredibly useful to have. Obviously he has his physical attributes and aerial ability, but he's a far cleverer footballer than many give him credit for. We'd have a far weaker squad without him and I'm intrigued to see what he could do with a proper run in the team at full fitness.

We also have a very gifted crosser of the ball developing nicely in Eliasson.. perfect for Djuric.

Archived