IGNORED

Sheff W problems

22A

I've just found this post from a SWFC fan. The sentence about the hotel seems reminiscent of Bristol's blue & white team's announcements.

Half an hour before season starts Wednesday announce that we are under a transfer embargo. Radio speculating that could last for three years before financial rectitude is re - established. We are also the only club in the league to refuse the BBC's new deal, so no coverage on Radio Sheffield. But never mind the owner has bought all the land across the A61 to build an hotel. It's going to be a long season.

Not really suprised if they are under an embargo with the ridiculous wages they pay. As for the Embargo how it works god only knows Brum we’re under one but still managed to sign someone which the EFL still sanctioned then even said they could ONLY sign 5 more! Clearly isn’t going to stop clubs is it.

51 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Not really suprised if they are under an embargo with the ridiculous wages they pay. As for the Embargo how it works god only knows Brum we’re under one but still managed to sign someone which the EFL still sanctioned then even said they could ONLY sign 5 more! Clearly isn’t going to stop clubs is it.

EFL seem to make it up as they go along with this, it's ridiculous tbh.

Can only assume their losses outstrip Birmingham's significantly over the period...

Birmingham though have significant caveats in how those players can be signed...

Furious that the away games won't be on BBC Radio Sheffield this season, the coverage of the local football up here is great. I'm sure some of you have experienced Praise or Grumble on the way back from Hillsborough, and there's another football phone-in 5 days a week for all local fans.

The club blame the BBC of course, as they have reduced their offer to clubs by 10%, but this is just clearly an excuse as the fee is apparently only about 60k anyway, meaning fans won't be able to hear us on the radio over a measly 6 thousand quid, barely pocket change to a Championship club. The real reason behind it of course is to get the fans to pay for the iFollow service, and I don't know if it has been the same down here, but I heard nothing but complaints from Wednesday fans about it last season.

We've overspent the last few years so the fans understand the need to reduce the wage bill, trying to fleece the fans again though after the already ludicrous ticket prices and shirts is so poor. 

It's going to be a long season for us this year. :sad26:

3 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Furious that the away games won't be on BBC Radio Sheffield this season, the coverage of the local football up here is great. I'm sure some of you have experienced Praise or Grumble on the way back from Hillsborough, and there's another football phone-in 5 days a week for all local fans.

The club blame the BBC of course, as they have reduced their offer to clubs by 10%, but this is just clearly an excuse as the fee is apparently only about 60k anyway, meaning fans won't be able to hear us on the radio over a measly 6 thousand quid, barely pocket change to a Championship club. The real reason behind it of course is to get the fans to pay for the iFollow service, and I don't know if it has been the same down here, but I heard nothing but complaints from Wednesday fans about it last season.

We've overspent the last few years so the fans understand the need to reduce the wage bill, trying to fleece the fans again though after the already ludicrous ticket prices and shirts is so poor. 

I feel your pain. Owl

9 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Is it just me or has this all started to unravel since the bird from Charlton came on board??

People like her shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football club.

I had a mate a good few years back who was a massive Wednesday fan. Big big club, one of those that I always love to beat but respect massively too.

Hope the German girl doesn't last too long at your place.

You are a good poster @visting owl and I like the Weds fans I’ve met (Even the ones who ‘greeted’ us after the game in early 2000s :yes: :laughcont:) As decent , ‘proper’ down to earth fans

So hope the horizon isn’t as bleak as it may look mate

Personally  I’d take no pleasure in seeing Weds sink 

Hang in there mate !

I have a soft spot for Wednesday, one of the great old clubs. But they are another that has over spent and now have problems.

It baffles me that some of our fans still want us to take the same risk, especially as we have been there before.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I have a soft spot for Wednesday, one of the great old clubs. But they are another that has over spent and now have problems.

It baffles me that some of our fans still want us to take the same risk, especially as we have been there before.

It is another timely reminder

The only thing I’d add on it China (and it’s not the thread to debate it) is that I read a lot of fans questioning our use (spend) of the funds we do have available rather than a suggestion we flout FFP 

i do think some want us to spend , without thinking it through or having a plan , and the bottom line is we will rise or fall in how we do use the funds we do have available, simple as that , and that responsibility sits in some key hands

We won’t risk FFP and nor  should we

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The only thing I’d add on it China (and it’s not the thread to debate it) is that I read a lot of fans questioning our use (spend) of the funds we do have available rather than a suggestion we flout FFP 

i do think some want us to spend , without thinking it through or having a plan , and the bottom line is we will rise or fall in how we do use the funds we do have available, simple as that , and that responsibility sits in some key hands

Quite so Bob, I'm thinking particularly of those fans who complain that Forest have spent £25m so we should too. They might want to look into the background of those running Forest mind you.

Our historic problems are less to do with fees and more to do with letting the wage budget get out of control. That is why we will not be signing the kind of players that particular minority of fans crave, something they cannot seem to grasp.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quite so Bob, I'm thinking particularly of those fans who complain that Forest have spent £25m so we should too. They might want to look into the background of those running Forest mind you.

Our historic problems are less to do with fees and more to do with letting the wage budget get out of control. That is why we will not be signing the kind of players that particular minority of fans crave, something they cannot seem to grasp.

Absolutely bang on. Not rocket science either. Wish some of those quick-mouthed, slow brain types would digest. 

36 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Is one of the problems that fans don't know what budget the club has available for transfer fees and wages? 

Without this information, and with some fans seemingly still not properly aware of or understanding the implications of ffp I'm sure we will continue to have fans questioning our transfers, and suggest unrealistic targets we should have signed instead.

Perhaps the question as to how we spend the funds would also be better able to be answered if we knew the funds available, as this make clearer the realistic targets we can consider and importantly those that are completely unrealistic in terms of fees and wages. My own feeling is that we perhaps do not fully appreciate how wages have grown in the championship and although we can afford far better than even a couple of years ago, we are priced out of the market when it comes to the type of player we would like the club to sign.

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Is one of the problems that fans don't know what budget the club has available for transfer fees and wages? 

Without this information, and with some fans seemingly still not properly aware of or understanding the implications of ffp I'm sure we will continue to have fans questioning our transfers, and suggest unrealistic targets we should have signed instead.

Perhaps the question as to how we spend the funds would also be better able to be answered if we knew the funds available, as this make clearer the realistic targets we can consider and importantly those that are completely unrealistic in terms of fees and wages. My own feeling is that we perhaps do not fully appreciate how wages have grown in the championship and although we can afford far better than even a couple of years ago, we are priced out of the market when it comes to the type of player we would like the club to sign.

Agree

I was thinking along the simple example,  of , say , sign less players on higher wages

( It’s a theory / debate and fwiw I’m not advocating or suggesting that approach but it’s an example of a general ‘option

One pie , how do you divide it

We could  splash theoretically out wage wise on one or two , but I n reality it’s a very dangerous game , as higher wages for only one or two creates , or is l8kely to create , lots of knock on problems with other playing staff and we clearly don’t have the budget to increase the wages in line or anywhere near it across a large squad 

it all comes back to our recruitment and decisions on keeping , selling or releasing players and our judgements in all three

I do think we could be more decisive with our housekeeping at times but those that could be freed off the wages are more likely to be on wages that doesn’t have any great effect in our overall expenditure

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think Bob is right to focus on the how in the sense that the policy was too skewed away from the home market in pursuit of alleged value. Not that I am purporting to speak for Bob who may have meant something completely different!

This was too hit and miss, though not quite as disastrous as sometimes claimed given that it has given us the likes of Kodjia and Fammy and that it now seems Eliasson may be coming good. The balance between players to develop and established ones was also skewed.

There has been movement in policy because, as LJ said recently, he doesn't want us to be focused only on the future but to an extent we have lost a couple of years in the process.

I agree some fans don't take into account the whole cost of a player relative to our resources - there is no way we are going to make our budget public - and think 'club A has paid £xm for a player, SL could pay that if he wanted to'.

Take Bannon for example, a player we know LJ admires. I suspect SL would be open to paying a big fee but if, say, he is on £40k a week, it isn't likely to happen as it would bust the budget.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good job we have your careful considered thoughts 

Thank you Bob. Have always been a fan of yours since those milky white thighs, sweatbands on the wrist and 34 goals in 1989. You were always very laid back, but you do seem a bit more argumentative these days .

14 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Mate-get Katrien on the case-im sure she will get it sorted...

12 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Is it just me or has this all started to unravel since the bird from Charlton came on board??

People like her shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football club.

I had a mate a good few years back who was a massive Wednesday fan. Big big club, one of those that I always love to beat but respect massively too.

Hope the German girl doesn't last too long at your place.

It's been going wrong long before she arrived unfortunately. Our fans seem to have taken to her oddly, think it's partly to do with the criticism and warnings we received from Charlton fans (some of our fans don't like Charlton). I've no idea what she's actually done since she arrived, but the stripes came back which won the hearts of many supporters.

21 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

And people on here moan when we havent spent big in recent seasons when we have been in a decent position. We simply cant risk it. 

Archived