IGNORED

Tricky Trees , where did that come from ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It’s the media that are always coming up with new nicknames. Manchester City’s original nickname was the Citizens. Likewise Crystal Palace are the Glaziers not the Eagles, Chelsea the Pensioners not the Blues, Aston Villa the Villains not the Lions, Leeds the Peacocks not the Whites, and especially West Ham the Irons not the bloody Hammers, which was the nickname of the old West Ham speedway team. There are plenty more changed over the years. Perhaps we should have a be one, any suggestions. 

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but in the first part of the 20th Century our nickname was the Babes. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In decades of closely following football I never heard it once referred to as the Boleyn Ground until the few years before they moved, when it was suddenly called that all the time.

The pub next door doesn't really come into it imo. - in the football world West Ham's ground was universally known as Upton Park - from at least the 60's - just as much as Bristol City were known to play at Ashton Gate.

Some fans may have called it the Boleyn Ground but I never once heard a West Ham player or manager refer to their ground as that -  it was always Upton Park without exception.

I have known many West Ham fans for many years and it's always been the Boleyn, as stated by others above. And they refer to themselves as the Irons, not the Hammers. Ie one of their main songs is "Come on you Irons".

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I have known many West Ham fans for many years and it's always been the Boleyn, as stated by others above. And they refer to themselves as the Irons, not the Hammers. Ie one of their main songs is "Come on you Irons".

Funny that none of their famous players, managers and indeed the media, ever referred to it as anything other than Upton Park over at least 40 years to my knowledge then.

I'm well aware West Ham fans refer to themselves as 'The Irons.'

20 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

When did Forest become the ' Tricky Trees ' ?

Until quite recently I had never heard them called this .

I guess it's just one of those things that evolve.  At what stage did City fans become Cider'eads?  Not before the 70s, I'd suggest.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess it's just one of those things that evolve.  At what stage did City fans become Cider'eads?  Not before the 70s, I'd suggest.

About the time this was popular Robbo, 1980.

Remember it well in the EE at the time.'We are ciderheads, say we are ciderheads.'

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Funny that none of their famous players, managers and indeed the media, ever referred to it as anything other than Upton Park over at least 40 years to my knowledge then.

I'm well aware West Ham fans refer to themselves as 'The Irons.'

Having looked at a few old West Ham programmes - in an attempt to prove my point - I'm now going to concede I was wrong!

It seems Upton Park was indeed known as The Boleyn Ground ( 'at Upton Park') long before it was known as Upton Park.

I suppose it must have fallen out of fashion nationally - and even within the club perhaps - from the early 60's onwards until it's relatively recent revival, but was still known as The Boleyn Ground to many West Ham stalwarts who succeeded in reviving the old name before the move.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1956-1957-WEST-HAM-UNITED-V-SWANSEA-TOWN-DIV-2-MATCH/372391822687?hash=item56b448455f:g:Y0MAAOSwuXNbZsk4

Archived