IGNORED

Goalkeeper Situation

JasonM88

Were we a bit inflexible and pigheaded in terms of Henderson from Man Utd?

We clearly wanted him permanently but he wasn't available/willing to make a permanent move. As such he went to Sheffield United then Fielding got injured and left us scrabbling around for a keeper up to and including the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We clearly wanted him permanently but he wasn't available/willing to make a permanent move. As such he went to Sheffield United then Fielding got injured and left us scrabbling around for a keeper up to and including the start of the season.

Isn’t this the same Henderson that we did have here, who we offered a contract too, but who left when we signed David James..?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think so, we want someone to build around long term.

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Then perhaps that’s what they are doing and they want to get the right keeper at the right time, rather than pay stupid money on anyone right now, when a short term contract can see us through to when the one(s) we want might be available..?

It’s not just about the corner we’ve got ourselves in now

The current set up have had 2 1/2 years and recruited nearly 50 players whilst looking to  replace FF

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Isn’t this the same Henderson that we did have here, who we offered a contract too, but who left when we signed David James..?

We might be talking about different Henderson's?

That's Stephen Henderson if memory serves.

I'm talking about Dean Henderson at the start of the summer, pretty sure we were in for him?

Ideally agree @hodge but I think he would have been a good opportunity to get someone in early and yeah a good use of the loan system IMO.

Wasn't Fielding supposed to be leaving at the beginning of the window? Blackburn if I remember rightly. My guess is that his injury has thrown a spanner in the works in terms of our budget as we expected him off the books, along with a small fee. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in January and us to spend on a keeper then.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have a hunch we may have dodged a bullet with Henderson 

Not convinced he’s as good as the hype that built

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We might be talking about different Henderson's?

That's Stephen Henderson if memory serves.

I'm talking about Dean Henderson at the start of the summer, pretty sure we were in for him?

From what was said around the times of him signing his Man U contract, he wanted to stay more north. That kind of thing is very much out of the clubs hands.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

I would rather just keep MOL back up for NM. Keep MOL around the first team for experience. Don’t get this signing at all 

He won’t develop if he doesn’t play

he will get better playing men’s football 

I would rather just keep MOL back up for NM. Keep MOL around the first team for experience. Don’t get this signing at all 

Johnson said he wants MOL out on loan for him to gain experience... right now, i think first team football for MOL trumps him being on the bench to gain "Match day experience". 

It so MOL can go and play (League) games rather than sit on the bench every Saturday 

I can at least see the sense in that if not the choices

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Expect he's had a loan lined up for a while just our injury predicament has meant we can't finalise it

Frank fielding is a more than capable championship goalie. He kicks it out once or twice a game from a goal kick but that doesn't cost us games. Got sent off at wolves but I blame the terrible pass back not him. 

Shot stopping is generally very good and that's what you want from a keeper, saved a few penalties too. 

I'd rather the money be invested in better quality outfield players.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

He won’t develop if he doesn’t play

he will get better playing men’s football 

1 minute ago, Always Ashton Red said:

Johnson said he wants MOL out on loan for him to gain experience... right now, i think first team football for MOL trumps him being on the bench to gain "Match day experience". 

Yep can see your views. But signing another 3rd choice keeper just seems a waste of time . Maybe we should of just made MOL number 1 . Really frustrated with the GK situation for a few seasons now . But I agree with you both MOL needs to be playing football 

Yep can see your views. But signing another 3rd choice keeper just seems a waste of time . Maybe we should of just made MOL number 1 . Really frustrated with the GK situation for a few seasons now . But I agree with you both MOL needs to be playing football 

And if Max didn't work out as #1? He's then stuck here not playing games apart from U23's

Id imagine it is relativity low wages for both NM and Hendo... Could be a possibility that FF could be out for slightly longer or any setback... at least MOL will gain valuable first team mens football on loan and we have cover.

As much as id like the idea of MOL being number one... its a quite a gamble, and if it backfires we are in zero position to rectify it. I agree with you it has been frustrating... i think we would all just love the yank to come in whos young, got experience of mens football and great potential. 4 Million bid for him shows we had money set aside to make the signing... for whatever reasons he and the others just didnt happen. Its a difficult position to fill a GK. 

1 minute ago, Always Ashton Red said:

Id imagine it is relativity low wages for both NM and Hendo... Could be a possibility that FF could be out for slightly longer or any setback... at least MOL will gain valuable first team mens football on loan and we have cover.

As much as id like the idea of MOL being number one... its a quite a gamble, and if it backfires we are in zero position to rectify it. I agree with you it has been frustrating... i think we would all just love the yank to come in whos young, got experience of mens football and great potential. 4 Million bid for him shows we had money set aside to make the signing... for whatever reasons he and the others just didnt happen. Its a difficult position to fill a GK. 

Well put

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have a hunch we may have dodged a bullet with Henderson 

Not convinced he’s as good as the hype that built

Interesting to see how he does- he did get a new contract at Man Utd (not that I expect him to seriously challenge for a first team place there with their resources) so they perhaps see something- at least able to sell to a decent PL side perhaps.

Can we not just see how the Fin works out before we decide he's shit?  He showed no signs of it on Saturday, indeed he has played for his country and dropped a division to be with us.   John Shaw came to us on a free and he worked OK in the old First Division.

It’s worth noting that of last years promoted sides, the two automatic promoted teams keepers were freebies (Ruddy / Etheridge) and the playoffs sides keeper was a youth product (Bettellini).

For whatever reason, and it’s not just city, the value that is placed on a keeper by the market is less than other positions - take Sam Johnstone, £6m to WBA. Compare that with, say, £8m for a 28 year old Centre half of the same window?

The fact is that more (particularly second choice) keepers move for lower transfer fees or frees. Why? Because  it’s unlikely, if you are worth £6m, you’re prepared to not play at all and will seek to leave - and as you haven’t had games, a lower fee is attained.

What this means is kind of a double edged argument - just being a free or loan doesn’t mean it’s a cheap option or bad keeper - just someone who doesn’t want to sit on their arse. What it should also mean though is that there is opportunity to get value from the position without spending the earth.

I don’t necessarily criticise the club for not spending money (although they clearly tried with Steffen) in view of the above. I more criticise for not identifying the right candidates (hopefully it will be NM) despite several punts.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Frank fielding is a more than capable championship goalie. He kicks it out once or twice a game from a goal kick but that doesn't cost us games. Got sent off at wolves but I blame the terrible pass back not him. 

Shot stopping is generally very good and that's what you want from a keeper, saved a few penalties too. 

I'd rather the money be invested in better quality outfield players.

What about one that calls and commands his box

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Then perhaps that’s what they are doing and they want to get the right keeper at the right time, rather than pay stupid money on anyone right now, when a short term contract can see us through to when the one(s) we want might be available..?

If we dilly dally for too long, all we will need is a League One keeper and in that case we can keep Fielding and save our money. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Based on one game , where he had little to do ?

He didnt have much to do but was calm and his kicking was excellent .Think the save he made second half was superb ,saved a point for us Im sure . Looked like shot was in all the way until he got a hand to it.

16 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

He didnt have much to do but was calm and his kicking was excellent .Think the save he made second half was superb ,saved a point for us Im sure . Looked like shot was in all the way until he got a hand to it.

Can’t argue with that

Comfidence in him will grow with each game :fingerscrossed:

49 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Crikey if that’s the most recent example you have we’re doomed!

Only one that came to mind. I'm sure there are more if you look into it. 

Lots of frustrated second choice keepers agitate for a move. Unlike most outfield players, they rarely get game time without it.

Archived