IGNORED

Obsession with goalkeepers distribution.

barneyrubble

36 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

How would your team play first? Can you have a Keeper learning on the job and a liability?? Team opens out Keepers gives ball away short its in the back of the net.

Your interaction and expectation of the keeper is based on his comfort ability level at any given point

And you base , and evolve the team interaction and tactics around keeper possession on that

On 08/08/2018 at 09:07, ExiledAjax said:

My biggest bug bear with FF's distribution is not the accuracy of his long kicks.  For me the most frustrating thing is the length of time he holds onto the ball.  When an opposition player floats a cross in and FF catches it he needs to immediately be looking to throw it out and launch a counter attack whilst the opposition are still out of shape. Instead, he used to hold onto the ball, have a lengthy discussion with Flint and Bryan, look right, look left, look right again and then finally roll it to Flint. This slowed us down far too much and allowed the opposition to organise.  I've spoken to some who suggest this was intentional to allow for some periods of recovery in our high intensity pressing game, but I don't buy that as it is every time he has the ball.

I've only seen the highlights of the Forest game so can't comment on whether Niki is an upgrade in this department, but I really hope he is.

As an aside, shot stopping is a keeper's bread and butter. You expect a keeper to save shots. Therefore you don't judge him on that, you judge him on the extra qualities he has to elevate himself above all other keepers who also stop shots.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I don't mind Fielding misplacing the odd pass but I do feel there are a lot of times when we miss chances to launch quick attacks. 

Like any other player it's important for the keeper to retain possession for his team when he can. 

It's not the most important thing, I agree, but if an outfield player was not completing successful passes on a frequent basis he would be rightly criticised and the same rules apply to the goalie.

What was disappointing about Frank is half his "kicks to touch" don't even make it out of our half. Conceding possession in your own half is really not a great tactic, is it.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I don't mind Fielding misplacing the odd pass but I do feel there are a lot of times when we miss chances to launch quick attacks. 

FF or instruction (Retain possession) .

Will be interesting to see how quickly Mäenpää distributes in next few games

(I thought he was marginally swifter than FF Saturday Although was difficult to judge on one game)

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your interaction and expectation of the keeper is based on his comfort ability level at any given point

And you base , and evolve the team interaction and tactics around keeper possession on that

Close to what I was asking. You posted about the Keeper being improved with intense work. If you want to play differently how much do keepers passing really improve with work? can you have a keeper learning on the job? Clubs buy keepers to styles.  

7 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Close to what I was asking. You posted about the Keeper being improved with intense work. If you want to play differently how much do keepers passing really improve with work? can you have a keeper learning on the job? Clubs buy keepers to styles.  

In an ideal world

They try to

How much money would we need to spend to get a keeper (In UK market) ready made Who is a great keeper for his main role and who is excellent with his feet ??

That’s before -  if there a keeper sufficiently excellent in both he won’t be in the Championship for very long and not at Bristol City

I think atm there needs to be some form of compromise until we can either

develop one of our own and keep him as long as possible or

do some intense scouting and spot a young keeper in Non League who might step up in a short timespan ,

or buy abroad

If Lee is intent on his play from the back ethos and SL truly believes in him , and genuinely believes he will be in post for nest 3/4/5 years , then he needs to ensure the funds are in place and our scouting and research is spot on this time 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In an ideal world

They try to

How much money would we need to spend to get a keeper ready made Who is a great keeper for his main role and who is excellent with his feet ??

Before calculating I’d suggest that if there a keeper sufficiently excellent in both he won’t be in the Championship for very long and not at Bristol City

I think atm there needs to be some form of compromise until we can either

develop one of our own and keep him as long as possible or

do some intense scouting and spot a young keeper in Non League who might step up in a short timespan ,

or buy abroad

Fulham spent a million on one of their keepers and bought to suit their football. 

12 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Fulham spent a million on one of their keepers and bought to suit their football. 

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Rather than me look up and decipher who are you referring to 

Button was two million and Steklenberg near one million. Button was adept at passing the ball. Steklenberg was excellent but played rarely. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Button was two million and Steklenberg near one million. Button was adept at passing the ball. Steklenberg was excellent but played rarely. 

(And my knowledge isn’t deep enough )

Out in of interest - Where would you rate him and Button in all other keeping aspects

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(And my knowledge isn’t deep enough )

Out in of interest - Where would you rate him and Button in all other keeping aspects

Steklenburg has become one of these Keepers who moves around to keep others Keepers company. Once good, once held down a place in Romas team but is now 34/35 and at Everton now. Bettellini is better than both. Great shot stopper, very capable distribution from hands and feet.

Button is off to Brighton. Fulham have brought in a Keeper from Seville so obviously they don't rate him high enough to keep on. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Steklenburg has become one of these Keepers who moves around to keep others Keepers company. Once good, once held down a place in Romas team but is now 34/35 and at Everton now. Bettellini is better than both. Great shot stopper, very capable distribution from hands and feet.

Button is off to Brighton. Fulham have brought in a Keeper from Seville so obviously they don't rate him high enough to keep on. 

can prem sign loans? i thought it was done for them and loans in the football league until the end of august?

Archived