IGNORED

The Pressing Game

milo1111

Apologies if this had been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but someone told me today that LJ has publicaly stated that he won’t be looking to play the pressing game this season as it is too physically demanding of the players. 

If this is the case, and given that the only time during his tenure we have looked the part was the first half of last year when we played a pressing game I think this is a very worrying comment. 

Im very concerned that any other brand of football he comes up with will fail. He clearly hasn’t a clue about direct / physical football ie. Cardiff away last year. The possession based tippy tappy stuff we are playing at present ain’t much cop either.

god help us and fingers crossed there are 3 worse teams come May.

12 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Apologies if this had been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but someone told me today that LJ has publicaly stated that he won’t be looking to play the pressing game this season as it is too physically demanding of the players. 

If this is the case, and given that the only time during his tenure we have looked the part was the first half of last year when we played a pressing game I think this is a very worrying comment. 

Im very concerned that any other brand of football he comes up with will fail. He clearly hasn’t a clue about direct / physical football ie. Cardiff away last year. The possession based tippy tappy stuff we are playing at present ain’t much cop either.

god help us and fingers crossed there are 3 worse teams come May.

He said we won’t look to press for 90mins because you can’t sustain it so we need to learn to retain the ball better and close games out. 

1 minute ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

He said we won’t look to press for 90mins because you can’t sustain it so we need to learn to retain the ball better and close games out. 

Some merit in the first part of that but I wont be putting my house on him executing the rest of it.

23 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He is advocating a possession based game. Sadly, the results are identical to when O'Dismal tried to do the same. We do not have the technical ability to break teams down (we cannot afford such players) . We are completely out of sorts, and even if you disregard the defensive issues, it is far more concerning our inability to create chances or break down teams. Fama is an option, and pretty decent at this level, but he is not the solution on his own. The team have to improve dramatically and fast if they are to avoid a confidence sapping first 10 games. QPR are all over the place, so that should provide an ideal springboard to get some positive football played. All I saw to day though was a side that is far from mid table, but one that has all the signs of a relegation battle ahead. 

Excuses and hard luck stories have gone on too long. 

PS. Hegeler and Wright were injured some time ago, we sold 2 CB's and signed one (does anyone really consider Hegeler a CB anyway) , and then, and this is the most inexcusable part, we loaned another one to a Championship rival (based on today) . Vyner did not need to go out on loan so early if we were that paper thin, and indeed, after a great season last year, should have been part of the current squad. On top of that , we signed a left back, did not play him, and put a right back there instead. Baker has good spells of injuries and Webster has had issues over a season too. We really could have predicted some of these  issues , and we will have more. 

Vyner's loan is the most baffling of the lot, but there are others that make you wonder too. If Vyner was a revelation for Plymouth in League 1 & helped turn their season from relegation prospects to nearly making the playoffs, why didn't we keep him in our squad, rather than loan him to a potential rival?  Or were the club so arrogant that they thought we were better than Rotherham. A quick look at the table would suggest otherwise. 

And given the choice of bringing on McCoulsky or Matty Taylor, as a sub, I know who I would rather have & who I would prefer we send out on loan. At least one of them has already scored this season against Chsmpionship opposition, something the other doesn't look like ever doing again, and has only managed three times in 1.5 seasons.

29 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He is advocating a possession based game. Sadly, the results are identical to when O'Dismal tried to do the same. We do not have the technical ability to break teams down (we cannot afford such players) . We are completely out of sorts, and even if you disregard the defensive issues, it is far more concerning our inability to create chances or break down teams. Fama is an option, and pretty decent at this level, but he is not the solution on his own. The team have to improve dramatically and fast if they are to avoid a confidence sapping first 10 games. QPR are all over the place, so that should provide an ideal springboard to get some positive football played. All I saw to day though was a side that is far from mid table, but one that has all the signs of a relegation battle ahead. 

Excuses and hard luck stories have gone on too long. 

PS. Hegeler and Wright were injured some time ago, we sold 2 CB's and signed one (does anyone really consider Hegeler a CB anyway) , and then, and this is the most inexcusable part, we loaned another one to a Championship rival (based on today) . Vyner did not need to go out on loan so early if we were that paper thin, and indeed, after a great season last year, should have been part of the current squad. On top of that , we signed a left back, did not play him, and put a right back there instead. Baker has good spells of injuries and Webster has had issues over a season too. We really could have predicted some of these  issues , and we will have more. 

When my mate who I next to (both ST holders), mentioned Pisano left back, I looked up and questioned if I'd taken something before the game, assured myself I'd only had Gold - and questioned whether it'd been spiked with something.

Thought about it for 5 seconds - asked if their RM was left footed (he didn't know it was Downing), saw his number, checked the teams, and wanted to strangle Lee,

I can only assume, he did it so that Pisano could stop him cutting in onto his favored left foot. Eros did that well enough, but then Downing  just went got an assist by going outside, which wouldn't of likely happened if DaSilva was in that position. Stupid, stupid selection. Inexcusable.

How many days did Eros train at LB? 2?

Archived