IGNORED

Wedlock Stand

Miah Dennehy

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I realise it's a new structure, but surely they should have kept the Wedlock name?

Perhaps they were hoping Flinty would stay at the club for a further 10 years and lead us into the PL and we could name it after him?  :laughcont:

Seriously, I don't know why the name was dropped, but to be fair, most people just called it the East End anyway.

47 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Because it's a new stand.

However, I do wonder about the geography. How did East become South?

The Wedlock was always south. It’s just that some people stood in the eastern corner and called it the east end. Then, gradually, the whole stand became known as the east end 

42 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The Wedlock was always south. It’s just that some people stood in the eastern corner and called it the east end. Then, gradually, the whole stand became known as the east end 

So pretty much where Section 82 are now positioned, which seems about right.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Probably.

Before my time though, so no first hand memories- always wondered if it was Dolman/South Stand (formerly Dolman/East End) corner.

It was the open end, can't remember which corner though.

Is it just me, or was the most common name for the Wedlock Stand "the covered end"?

Yes crackers corner was in the open end just next to the Dolman stand. As a kid I used to stand to the left of the goal next to the railings at the front. Crackers corner was very appropriately named.

The covered end became the 'covered end' after seats were installed and away fans were seated there.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Probably.

Before my time though, so no first hand memories- always wondered if it was Dolman/South Stand (formerly Dolman/East End) corner.

Before mine too, Mr P.

My old man used to stand there though, and I think where he described was up the other end of the ground, pretty much where the Dolman/Atyeo corner would be now.

I think the Atyeo was only built about 1970?

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It was the open end, can't remember which corner though.

Is it just me, or was the most common name for the Wedlock Stand "the covered end"?

The club would call it the covered end but to the fans it was the East End, at least from the '60's.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Before mine too, Mr P.

My old man used to stand there though, and I think where he described was up the other end of the ground, pretty much where the Dolman/Atyeo corner would be now.

I think the Atyeo was only built about 1970?

You mean the Dolman.

The Atyeo was closer to 1990 than 70. The open end was in existance for all the 1st division days and second and 3rd and 4th divisions. i remeber standing there in a crowd of about 1500 one cold evening for a crappy cup tie during our 4th div days.

“craker’s corner” was, what was then, the open end corner next to the old cow shed stand (later replaced by the Dolman). It was given that name by the players of the day due to the amout of crackpot comments / abuse they got from a large group of fans who used to congregate there. 

56 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

“craker’s corner” was, what was then, the open end corner next to the old cow shed stand (later replaced by the Dolman). It was given that name by the players of the day due to the amout of crackpot comments / abuse they got from a large group of fans who used to congregate there. 

My dad took me to  crackers  corner for my first taste of city around mid fifties.  Must  have made me crackers cos I'm  still going to matches.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes crackers corner was in the open end just next to the Dolman stand. As a kid I used to stand to the left of the goal next to the railings at the front. Crackers corner was very appropriately named.

The covered end became the 'covered end' after seats were installed and away fans were seated there.

The Covered end (East End) has been called that long before it was known as the East End while the Atyeo was known as the uncovered end, open end & Park end

Archived