IGNORED

Holmesdale fanatics

Cambridge Batch Red

On 21 August 2018 at 11:13, WolfOfWestStreet said:

What's embarrassing about calling out our terrible home support? 

Nothing at all, and I agree our home support is dire. It's exactly the same with 90% of other grounds in the UK though. Changing demographics of football fans, loss of standing areas,  less of a bond between fans and players... All have played a part. It's not a BCFC problem, it's an English football problem.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Nothing at all, and I agree our home support is dire. It's exactly the same with 90% of other grounds in the UK though. Changing demographics of football fans, loss of standing areas,  less of a bond between fans and players... All have played a part. It's not a BCFC problem, it's an English football problem.

And whilst that is peoples mindsets then things will never change because it is passing the buck and not taking responsibility. If the atmosphere is poor that is the fans in the stadiums fault and no one elses. 

24 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

And whilst that is peoples mindsets then things will never change because it is passing the buck and not taking responsibility. If the atmosphere is poor that is the fans in the stadiums fault and no one elses. 

Thing is, the demographics of the fans in the stadium has changed. A large number of our new supporters are families, and people who originated from outside the Bristol area but have latched onto City in recent years. The sort of people that aren't really interested in making an intimidating atmosphere.. Also consider that many of our vocal hardcore old school support are ageing, (my Dad for example, used to be one of the singing crew, not so much these days) and you can see where the problem lies.

Fair play to those that do try and get things going, but the demographics of football fans has changed and it will take an almighty effort to get the gate buzzing again.

look like the Holmesdale fanatics have won and will be back in business soon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6213657/Crystal-Palace-create-singing-section-season-club-settle-row-Holmesdale-Fanatics.html

Maybe we can move S82 behind the goal and expand their space too?

After all, nobody owns their seat and a noisy ashton gate is what we all want? 

1 hour ago, Cambridge Batch Red said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6213657/Crystal-Palace-create-singing-section-season-club-settle-row-Holmesdale-Fanatics.html

Until safe standing comes in, there won't be much or any scope to expand S82- I very much doubt the will is there for one, before we even get onto logistics of moving fans etc.

Would SAG be happy with an expanded S82? Doubt it.

4 hours ago, Cambridge Batch Red said:

nlook like the Holmesdale fanatics have won and will be back in business soon.

hardly comparable. how many are in this so called s82? according to Harry its about forty fans singing.

Fanatics? What sort of fans boycott watching the team they support?

Season ticket holders in the South Stand behind the goal should not be forced to move somewhere else to accommodate a relatively small group of fans who may wish to take over their seats....why can’t the S82 group make a noise from where they currently sit/stand? It’s an emotive subject, I get that, but your unusual assertion that ‘nobody owns their seat..’ suggests that current season ticket holders can be forcibly removed from their chosen, paid for, location within Ashton Gate to make way for the recently formed, self titled S82 group - that will not be popular in my opinion....

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Season ticket holders in the South Stand behind the goal should not be forced to move somewhere else to accommodate a relatively small group of fans who may wish to take over their seats....why can’t the S82 group make a noise from where they currently sit/stand? It’s an emotive subject, I get that, but your unusual assertion that ‘nobody owns their seat..’ suggests that current season ticket holders can be forcibly removed from their chosen, paid for, location within Ashton Gate to make way for the recently formed, self titled S82 group - that will not be popular in my opinion....

But it was OK to move the family section from there in the first place, right?

58 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Fanatics? What sort of fans boycott watching the team they support?

Those who support the club, rather than blindly supporting the team. I have great respect for the Cardiff fans who stopped watching their team when they went red. That was the correct thing to do, and the vast majority of Cardiff fans who stayed are the faux fans. 

Strange isn’t it? The centre of the East End was always the place where for the last 50 years the singers congregated. The entire South Stand should be for singers and standers only imo.

The SAG steepness of the stand is fake news (as so many of SAGs edicts are). The Club could relocate those who object to currently empty, but better, viewing areas in the Upper Lansdown for the same price as South Stand tickets -  so that should keep the dozers happy. 

Lummydaze, if Lee is measuring the length of the grass in order to gain a fraction of a decimal point advantage, just think of the points benefits of having a decent home end. So those displaced, think of what you can do for your Club rather than what your Club can do for you. 

Sounds like we’ve won the drinks shelves in the concourse battle. Now on to the next. 

Commonsense always prevails. 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wonderful use of grammar.

Why should you be given job when you may or may not be a theif?

10 hours ago, reformed_red said:

But it was OK to move the family section from there in the first place, right?

To be fair they had only been in there one season as a temp fix till the Lansdown stand was finished.

There can’t be standers in the just middle of the SS, safe seating aside, as the people at the sides won’t be able to see corners etc will they? Or is the pitch away from the stands enough not to affect sight lines? If people stand in the middle then the whole of the stand has to stand, and I can’t see that happening?

9 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Strange isn’t it? The centre of the East End was always the place where for the last 50 years the singers congregated. The entire South Stand should be for singers and standers only imo.

The SAG steepness of the stand is fake news (as so many of SAGs edicts are). The Club could relocate those who object to currently empty, but better, viewing areas in the Upper Lansdown for the same price as South Stand tickets -  so that should keep the dozers happy. 

Lummydaze, if Lee is measuring the length of the grass in order to gain a fraction of a decimal point advantage, just think of the points benefits of having a decent home end. So those displaced, think of what you can do for your Club rather than what your Club can do for you. 

Sounds like we’ve won the drinks shelves in the concourse battle. Now on to the next. 

Commonsense always prevails. 

“Dozers” ???! Behave.....lots of proper, long term, old school City fans who go way way back populate the South Stand and used to sit in the Williams - dozers they are not...believe it or not, we have had voracious, raucous, passionate fans for decades, it didn’t start with S82 - and lots of them are still around - ‘dozers’ - good grief....

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

There can’t be standers in the just middle of the SS, safe seating aside, as the people at the sides won’t be able to see corners etc will they? Or is the pitch away from the stands enough not to affect sight lines? If people stand in the middle then the whole of the stand has to stand, and I can’t see that happening?

You are right - getting everyone standing would never happen....It would look amazing though.

It never ceases to amaze me that people just can't understand other peoples point of view on these things and believe that their way of watching football is superior to others. Each to their own in my book.

People are critical of the atmosphere and then if someone suggests a way of improvement they get shot down for being a "superfan". My favourites normally go along the lines of "i go to the football to watch football not to sing...  The atmosphere was crap today... Couldn't hear the superfans in s82..."

As mentioned by others the atmosphere is no worse than anywhere else in the country and if you believe it is you can't have been to many away games. The challenge is to make it as good as it can be and become one if the best.

Just as a side note - not everyone in the singing section is in s82. I stand there and don't think ive ever spoken to any of them. S82 is a small group of fans doing a lot of hard work to try and create something. I can sometimes be critical of them but i do appreciate what they are trying to do and really don't understand the amount of grief/abuse they get on here. (I know the singing section hasn't helped itself at times with chants aimed at other stands but that blame doesn't neccessarily lie at s82's door.)

52 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

You are right - getting everyone standing would never happen....It would look amazing though.

It never ceases to amaze me that people just can't understand other peoples point of view on these things and believe that their way of watching football is superior to others. Each to their own in my book.

People are critical of the atmosphere and then if someone suggests a way of improvement they get shot down for being a "superfan". My favourites normally go along the lines of "i go to the football to watch football not to sing...  The atmosphere was crap today... Couldn't hear the superfans in s82..."

As mentioned by others the atmosphere is no worse than anywhere else in the country and if you believe it is you can't have been to many away games. The challenge is to make it as good as it can be and become one if the best.

Just as a side note - not everyone in the singing section is in s82. I stand there and don't think ive ever spoken to any of them. S82 is a small group of fans doing a lot of hard work to try and create something. I can sometimes be critical of them but i do appreciate what they are trying to do and really don't understand the amount of grief/abuse they get on here. (I know the singing section hasn't helped itself at times with chants aimed at other stands but that blame doesn't neccessarily lie at s82's door.)

It wouldn't happen and it couldn't happen under current laws.  Safe standing would change all that, but right now it couldn't- SAG wouldn't allow it, club wouldn't be allowed to allow it- you get the picture.

Personally speaking, the ideal solution would be like a modern version of the old days IMO- and it would have to be modified to safe standing rather than terraces- seats at the side stands, behind the goal- both goals- standing. At all grounds- just feels right, seems natural to me.

7 hours ago, Tomarse said:

To be fair they had only been in there one season as a temp fix till the Lansdown stand was finished.

Agreed. And that’s kind of my point. The poster I replied to was saying why should those in the South Stand be “forcibly removed from locations they have chosen and paid for”.

During a season, yes, I agree, but I don’t see an issue with moving a section or swapping sections around between seasons. You buy a season ticket for a year. 

To cover your point, again which I agree with, you could also argue that the South Stand have only been there for 3 seasons, so where do you draw the line?? It’s hardly like trying to move the Kop at Anfield which has been that way for decades, you know. 

I think S82 is excellent. A bit rough around the edges and a little cheesy at times, but fair play to all involved who give their time to make it happen. 

Ashton Gate would have a terrible atmosphere without them to be fair, in my opinion of course.

But why not put that section of fans back into their spiritual home slap bang in the middle of the East End, sorry I mean South Stand.

Remember yanks, the Indians were there first...

On 27/09/2018 at 22:52, BS4 on Tour... said:

Amazing how your having a dig at s82 for something they haven’t even asked for.

Have they asked to move, no, do they want season ticket holders to move no.

8 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Amazing how your having a dig at s82 for something they haven’t even asked for.

Have they asked to move, no, do they want season ticket holders to move no.

I wasn’t having a dig at S82 - I was disagreeing with the poster who suggested S82 should move to be behind the goal and the people who currently sit there should be moved somewhere else as ‘no one owns their seat’....

On 28/09/2018 at 16:29, reformed_red said:

Agreed. And that’s kind of my point. The poster I replied to was saying why should those in the South Stand be “forcibly removed from locations they have chosen and paid for”.

During a season, yes, I agree, but I don’t see an issue with moving a section or swapping sections around between seasons. You buy a season ticket for a year. 

To cover your point, again which I agree with, you could also argue that the South Stand have only been there for 3 seasons, so where do you draw the line?? It’s hardly like trying to move the Kop at Anfield which has been that way for decades, you know. 

I think S82 is excellent. A bit rough around the edges and a little cheesy at times, but fair play to all involved who give their time to make it happen. 

Ashton Gate would have a terrible atmosphere without them to be fair, in my opinion of course.

But why not put that section of fans back into their spiritual home slap bang in the middle of the East End, sorry I mean South Stand.

I thought the spiritual home was the east side of the South Stand?

That said, I find the whole thing confusing.

Yep, nothing against S82 - fair play for all their efforts - but they’ve never been ‘slap bang in the middle of the East End’ and it is very far from being their ‘spiritual home’ - so your yanks and Indians comment is irrelevant.....

Only because we were forced to move from the seats we'd had in the Atyeo for well over a decade. 

Besides, nobody has yet managed to explain how moving the 'singers' behind the goal would magically make them nosier?

....I don’t see an issue with moving a section or swapping sections around between seasons. You buy a season ticket for a year....

Oh and regarding your season ticket comment...myself and thousands like me have bought season tickets for much longer than one year.....and we’ve only moved when we’ve had to due to stadium redevelopment.....not because a small group of fans fancy kicking us out of our seats...

1 minute ago, El Hombrecito said:

Only because we were forced to move from the seats we'd had in the Atyeo for well over a decade. 

Besides, nobody has yet managed to explain how moving the 'singers' behind the goal would magically make them nosier?

Well they couldn’t see the game properly so maybe they’d ‘sing up’ instead.  Never understood this behind the goal thing, you have no real idea what’s going on.

Archived