IGNORED

Andreas Weimann Utter Class

REDOXO

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Or it could upset how we’ve started and Weimann’s goals could dry up. I think we would start with the same team and Fam would get time from the bench. 4 goals and 2 clean sheets deserve an unchanged side and it will give LJ time to ease Fam back in.

very exciting potential pairing though.

I suppose you can look at it both ways, play your intended No1 striker and let him off the leash and give him 70min or keep the winning team intact

Personally, as we are at home and teams tend to play more defensively against us at AG I would start him and get plenty of crosses into the box

LJ will have a plan!

I doubt people with doubts earlier in the summer wrote him off as such (I'm referring to the written off before a ball kicked) standpoint.

More probably a bit underwhelmed in such cases...star players leaving and a relatively low cost Championship player with a low scoring record.

Throw in the fact that we'd been stung before (Stewart and Bridges 05, James 2010 and Hunt 2010, Matthews 2nd loan spell 2016 and  arguably O'Neil 2016) and a certain wariness was understandable at that time IMO.

As for Taylor and Weimann v Diedhiou and Weimann...on paper it's goals goals goals in case of latter but I wonder if it may upset the dynamic, the current pattern of the team.

Both work prodigiously hard for a start- does Diedhiou press and harry in the same way? I'm not saying he's lazy, more different players have different styles. Also both Taylor and Weimann can drop off the front a bit if needs be- Diedhiou not so much, wouldn't come as naturally to him IMO.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Or it could upset how we’ve started and Weimann’s goals could dry up. I think we would start with the same team and Fam would get time from the bench. 4 goals and 2 clean sheets deserve an unchanged side and it will give LJ time to ease Fam back in.

very exciting potential pairing though.

I think most of us, me included, think that a Diedhiou / Weimann partnership has the makings of an ideal combo.

My only slight concern is that Weimann will play a bit too deep.  Currently he comes short and plays on the shoulder (great understanding of when to do each).  With Diedhiou he might not get on the shoulder as much....evidenced when Marley played as the no9...when all his work was coming short.

Think him and Diedhiou need to do both.

Exactly what I was thinking @Davefevs. It may work well and Fams presence leaves holes for Weimann to run into, but as you say, at the moment he’s (AW) the main man up there and it works. That’s why I think LJ will probably ease FD back in from the bench, that and match fitness.

Archived