IGNORED

Stoke & Villa

daored

Am I the only one fed up with listening to the managers of these respective clubs.

Both clubs have probably the strongest squads in the division. Yet after the results last night , both managers came out and were critical of their squad depth. Both these clubs have squads far stronger than the majority of clubs in this league, it’s embarrassing hearing Bruce & Rowett bemoaning their poor luck.

You would think Villa would be over the ‘shock’ of the Championship by now, but if there is the pressure on them as they are in they last year of parachute payments and it really is promotion or bust, then I guess the Manager is trying to justify things and smooth over the failure path. Saying that, they are in the top 6 and haven’t last yet have they?

Stoke on the other hand are finding life in Championship not as easy as they probably imagined. Very, very, early days yet but they could have one eye on Sunderland and the Manager is reminding his owner and fans. 

I think though any Manager would say privately he he is never fully happy with his squad. They always want more, they always want other teams players. And to keep them motivated they need never to be fully satisfied I expect.

1 hour ago, daored said:

Am I the only one fed up with listening to the managers of these respective clubs.

Both clubs have probably the strongest squads in the division. Yet after the results last night , both managers came out and were critical of their squad depth. Both these clubs have squads far stronger than the majority of clubs in this league, it’s embarrassing hearing Bruce & Rowett bemoaning their poor luck.

Bruce did exactly the same last season, despite having the most expensive squad in the Championship. He's getting his excuses in early this time just in case.

Pulis was also whinging that he hadn't had enough money to spend a couple of weeks ago.

And of course Mourinho is in a paddy because he wasn't allowed to replace the 2 centre backs he bought last summer so they have a top example to follow.

For my generation at least, Stoke were always in or around us in the lower leagues. The days of Peter Thorne, Graham Kavanagh etc, then eventually they got up to the Premier League and stayed there. They did not "yo-yo" like other clubs have done. They were up there for 10 years believe it or not. Seems such a long time now. It was the year we lost to Hull in the Playoff final.

I think they've simply not got used to the fact that there will be more games for them and they are far too complacent for their own liking. It obviously isn't a technical aspect, it's all mental strength. I read that they did not even register a shot on target last night. Now that is very poor, especially when they played a team who last season were 2 leagues below.

Villa on the other hand should be used to this league by now, they've been here long enough to know how it works with the congested fixture lists and intensity of the league. Plus with all the cash they have and the income from their gate receipts, they should be walking this league. Again, it's a state of mind.

Rowett is alright, nothing special though yet IMO.

Hughes is an interesting one...Stoke on paper shouldn't have gone down, technical ability etc. Butland, Zouma, Shawcross, Martins Indi, Allen, Shaqiri to name a number of players. Add in January Bauer (solid and passable), Stafylidis (nothing special but a reasonable at LB- when rotating with Pieters) and N'Diaye- clearly a good midfielder. I certainly see enough good or solid players in there to stay up and perhaps stay up reasonably. Loaning out Bojan perhaps not their best idea of all time either...

Thing is, those players (a lot of whom are still there) have underestimated the Championship- plus the hype about Rowett- can't say I get it personally. His football is reactive, he is not some master tactician, and teams- like Wigan did last night- will be challenging Stoke to come at them and countering somewhat. I'm glad to see them struggling.

From everything I have read they are not playing much passing football and a lot of hoof ball - with players who are not used to playing that way. I for one am glad Rowett never made his way here regardless of where we are at the moment.

9 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Is there a table anywhere of the squad values.? I'm sure Stoke and Villa would both be near the top, and It would be interested to compare with current league positions. I suspect we would probably be about 10th

How about this ?

CE4553A1-7C17-4EE3-A868-1C6420D6E719.jpeg

Stoke have just became value for money.......after their loss to Wigan.  I'm not stating that theyr'e gonna win the league, but 20/1 with their squad has to be a good bet this early on. So many sides have started poorly, and are lacking points after 5-6 games, only to end up winning the league after 46.  I think its between WBA, Stoke and Leeds, I can only see Villa getting in the Play offs.  But then it's only IMHO.  ?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...and taking Derby to the play offs?

I'm not sure that is a big achievement, more a minimum requirement with a club that size. Though others have failed to do so in fairness.

A bit like praising Bruce for taking Villa to the play offs though.

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

Interesting that Brentford have the lowest average age?  I think their manager is doing an outstanding job considering the players theyv'e sold and their attendances?

Majority of teams below us in that table also have a lower average age than ours. No Wilbs or GON to skew it this year either. 

I hope LJ stops banging on about how the team are all babies this season. It's just a smokescreen.

Archived