IGNORED

Chicken, Burger, Flames and Unicorn (Merged)

Super

On 23/08/2018 at 17:54, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm a hamburger? No I'm not a hamburger. Why are you saying I'm a hamburger. Total nonsence.

Why is it called a hamburger when it is made of beef?

On 28/08/2018 at 09:36, Robbored said:

Not an original thread on this topic, but what’s the point of them?

I get the like, sad, funny and confused ones but the others?  

Tom said we wanted more icon - and now we have entirely pointless ones! 

Not having a bin or rubbish icon is a positive move of course.

As the saying goes  - sometimes less is more.

8 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

WTF is an emoji.

There’s a search engine called Google - the answer to the meaning of life plus other questions such as yours can be found in there.  

Or maybe I should have searched for sarcasm in case your wit is beyond my own  

7D30F4FB-A098-4449-9B90-DEF8E87B21F0.png

27 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

There’s a search engine called Google - the answer to the meaning of life plus other questions such as yours can be found in there.  

Or maybe I should have searched for sarcasm in case your wit is beyond my own  

7D30F4FB-A098-4449-9B90-DEF8E87B21F0.png

Ah! Sarcasm.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Why is it called a hamburger when it is made of beef?

My parents told me a story years and years ago. They had decided to go for a meal and thought they would try the new American food craze, this was way long before MaccyD’s had even been thought of over here. From the picture less menu my Mum chose a Hamburger which came with bun ( bread roll to her) and all the trimmings, lettuce, tomato etc. My Dad liking steaks etc ordered a Beefburger.  It arrived all alone on the plate, a wafer thin piece of minced meat shaped into a round, with just chips for company! :laugh:

Whether this is the difference widely used now I’m not sure, but it was in that restaurant! 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, RedM said:

My parents told me a story years and years ago. They had decided to go for a meal and thought they would try the new American food craze, this was way long before MaccyD’s had even been thought of over here. From the picture less menu my Mum chose a Hamburger which came with bun ( bread roll to her) and all the trimmings, lettuce, tomato etc. My Dad liking steaks etc ordered a Beefburger.  It arrived all alone on the plate, a wafer thin piece of minced meat shaped into a round, with just chips for company! :laugh:

Whether this is the difference widely used now I’m not sure, but it was in that restaurant! 

Spot on, but interestingly goes a little further back than that. The Hamburger was originally a recipe in Hamburg in Germany, It is widely believed that minced beef compressed into a patty was a common dish in northern Germany around the time of mass immigration into the US ( I guess the latter half of the 19th Century) and that immigrants brought the concept of the Hamburger Steak with them when they arrived Stateside. 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Spot on, but interestingly goes a little further back than that. The Hamburger was originally a recipe in Hamburg in Germany, It is widely believed that minced beef compressed into a patty was a common dish in northern Germany around the time of mass immigration into the US ( I guess the latter half of the 19th Century) and that immigrants brought the concept of the Hamburger Steak with them when they arrived Stateside. 

Everyday is a School Day, I had no idea Germany was involved in what the Americans must see as pretty much their National dish. 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

But the old Wimpy bars - next to the Hippodrome, Union st. and Park Street really did have ham (pork) in their Hamburgers, didn't they?

It certainly wasn't beef anyway!

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:36, Robbored said:

Not an original thread on this topic, but what’s the point of them?

I get the like, sad, funny and confused ones but the others?  

Tom said we wanted more icon - and now we have entirely pointless ones! 

Not having a bin or rubbish icon is a positive move of course.

?

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But the old Wimpy bars - next to the Hippodrome, Union st. and Park Street really did have ham (pork) in their Hamburgers, didn't they?

It certainly wasn't beef anyway!

& the menu pictures on the walls were absolutely spot on and accurate, the meal when it arrived was identical to the photo. ;) 

Archived