IGNORED

Pulis

Maesknoll Red

I think I remember that evidence given in his Gillingham court case was that he was secretly recording conversations with players. Always one for the courts is TP, I especially liked this one

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/28/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-appeal

I still can't get over how much of a tame reaction he got at the Gate just over a week ago. I was expecting some retro 80's chanting. Maybe there was some, but not heard in E31. I was all ready to go with 'He's the meanest, he really is a ...'

41 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think I remember that evidence given in his Gillingham court case was that he was secretly recording conversations with players. Always one for the courts is TP, I especially liked this one

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/28/tony-pulis-crystal-palace-appeal

I still can't get over how much of a tame reaction he got at the Gate just over a week ago. I was expecting some retro 80's chanting. Maybe there was some, but not heard in E31. I was all ready to go with 'He's the meanest, he really is a ...'

I liked the fairly mellow chant to Hollowhead last season, 'There's an old gas manual manipulator over there'.

Would have suited Tiddly Penis down to the ground.

14 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

It’s a toss up between SOD and Pulis for the two most depressing eras in my 26 years following City.

Pulis definitely for me. The only time I can remember when I had no enthusiasm for going to games and half the reason I did was in the hope that it would be his last.

People say on here now that some LJ critics want us to lose games to get him out but that actually was the case under Pulis. I recall being 1 down at home to, I think, Stoke, and Tins scored a screamer to equalise late on.

No-one cheered it because we all knew that it had kept him here for another week.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Pulis definitely for me. The only time I can remember when I had no enthusiasm for going to games and half the reason I did was in the hope that it would be his last.

People say on here now that some LJ critics want us to lose games to get him out but that actually was the case under Pulis. I recall being 1 down at home to, I think, Stoke, and Tins scored a screamer to equalise late on.

No-one cheered it because we all knew that it had kept him here for another week.

Agreed. Statistically we've had worse managers than him, but he was the only one who genuinely made me consider packing it in.

At least with the likes of SO'D you could see what they were trying to do, even if it didn't work.

5 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I still can't get over how much of a tame reaction he got at the Gate just over a week ago. I was expecting some retro 80's chanting.......I was all ready to go with 'He's the meanest, he really is a ...'

I think that link is the same story as the link provided by the OP. Fascinated by your chant too, that ain’t the lyrics I remember ..... what’s the next few words, lines to yours?!

I’m obviously on my own here.  I think Pulis has done a fantastic job at almost every club he has been at, and I suspect he would have succeeded at City if we had given him the three years he thought it would take to turn us around.  However, I very much doubt that we’d have enjoyed it much along the way.

Gary Johnson rapidly came to the same conclusion as Pulis about City when he joined.  The club needed pulling up by the bootstraps and in his first season he set about it in a similar way, making himself almost equally unpopular along the way.  Whether Pulis would have got us promotion in his second season I don't know, but I’m sure he’d have been more successful that the hopelessly underachieving Danny Wilson, who ignored an appalling culture within the club, and blew every opportunity we had.

17 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m obviously on my own here.  I think Pulis has done a fantastic job at almost every club he has been at, and I suspect he would have succeeded at City if we had given him the three years he thought it would take to turn us around.  However, I very much doubt that we’d have enjoyed it much along the way.

Gary Johnson rapidly came to the same conclusion as Pulis about City when he joined.  The club needed pulling up by the bootstraps and in his first season he set about it in a similar way, making himself almost equally unpopular along the way.  Whether Pulis would have got us promotion in his second season I don't know, but I’m sure he’d have been more successful that the hopelessly underachieving Danny Wilson, who ignored an appalling culture within the club, and blew every opportunity we had.

There are parallels to be sure but the main difference IMO is that GJ wanted us to succeed whereas Pulis actively wanted us to fail and be rewarded handsomely for it.

14 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

It’s a toss up between SOD and Pulis for the two most depressing eras in my 26 years following City.

Pulls for me, there was a stench of pure hatred towards him and his football at the time. I will forever be thankful to Portsmouth for taking him, one of our luckiest moments ever in the club’s history, yes it was that bad. I think if they hadn’t come in he would have finished the job and totally destroyed us. I think the Board were frightened of them, or he had something on them. He was so slimy he would slip through anyone’s grasp, going from job to job and picking up compensation on the way. I’ve never really had the urge to hit anyone but I’d love to smack him across his face ( sorry if this upsets anyone).

SoD was just drab, you wanted to give him a good shake and spark some life into him. He had a very long term plan which was for the good of the club, just took his eye off thehere and now and thought he had all the time in the world. Makes me wonder how he ever got success anywhere previously.

17 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

A fact also forgotten about appointing Pulis when we did was that David Moyes had agreed to leave Preston to come to us, only to go on holiday and find out Pulis had got the job. 

It sounds like a terrible decision. But at the time Moyes was still very new to management (only appointed by Preston the previous year) whereas Pulis already had six seasons under his belt at Bournemouth and Gillingham.

Totally agree though that it turned out to be a disaster in practice, and still remember that moment of pure elation when his move to Portsmouth was confirmed. 

22 minutes ago, red panda said:

It sounds like a terrible decision. But at the time Moyes was still very new to management (only appointed by Preston the previous year) whereas Pulis already had six seasons under his belt at Bournemouth and Gillingham.

Totally agree though that it turned out to be a disaster in practice, and still remember that moment of pure elation when his move to Portsmouth was confirmed. 

And then what happened?  The gang of three; four ultimately wasted years under Danny Wilson; Tins’s brief but disastrous foray into management; and eventually a decent manager in Gary Johnson. Eight seasons to get back into the second tier.  Almost a wasted decade.

Pulis was dreadful, but would argue till I was blue in the face that Osman was far worse. Utterly depressing. Says much that, against Barnsley I think it was, their was open rebellion with several people actually cheering when Barnsley scored. And as for the sacking of Jacki, remember Osman scoring and celebrations stopping the moment we realized who'd scored. Awful as Pulis was, it never got that desperate under him. 

On 27/08/2018 at 11:09, Red Right Hand said:

I still believe to this day that his hatred of City runs so deep that he was actively trying to destroy the club from within when he got the chance to do so.

It was such a happy day when Pompey took him off our hands and didn`t we get some compo too?

Which he probably got a cut of ... 

17 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

So,

Pulis gets results but people don’t want him at AG (much the same as Warnock)

So, are the Pulis ‘haters’ and Warnock ‘haters’ the same people as the LJ ‘haters’ ?

:)

Not here. I despise Colin and Pulis (and don't want either of them anywhere near my club ever), but have nothing against LJ.

On 27/08/2018 at 19:22, Northern Red said:

Agreed. Statistically we've had worse managers than him, but he was the only one who genuinely made me consider packing it in.

At least with the likes of SO'D you could see what they were trying to do, even if it didn't work.

Agree.  Pulis was an utter ***. 

Hated us and I hate him.

Archived