IGNORED

Pulis

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Not sure if I missed a thread on this, as I have been working far too much and paying too little attention to stuff on the internet, but this is interesting reading about probably the most despised Manager in my time watching City.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/tony-pulis-accused-fraudulent-behaviour-high-court-judgment/

Certainly got a fair airing on here at the time.

No secret that I absolutely hated his time at City and was elated when Portsmouth took him from us. To this day there was some something suspect about our transfer of Ade Akinbyi from his previous club, Gillingham.

Does he get results? Yes.

Would I want him at Aston Gate? Not a chance.

9 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Certainly got a fair airing on here at the time.

No secret that I absolutely hated his time at City and was elated when Portsmouth took him from us. To this day there was some something suspect about our transfer of Ade Akinbyi from his previous club, Gillingham.

Does he get results? Yes.

Would I want him at Aston Gate? Not a chance.

Wasn't there the allegation that he personally profited from Akinbiyi signing for us, and then again when he sold him to Wolves?

8 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Wasn't there the allegation that he personally profited from Akinbiyi signing for us, and then again when he sold him to Wolves?

Yes. And I'm not sure it was ever disputed either. He had a clause with Gillingham which gave home a share of any profit they made on several transfers, and he benefitted from that when City bought Akinbiyi, even though it was Pulis at City when we bought him. Seems wrong. He then had a dispute with Gillingham about whether he should profit further from Gillinghams sell on clause when we sold Akinbiyi, to Wolves. 

That followed the court case which seemed to start as a wrongful dismissal claim by Pulis against Gillingham, but ended with Pulis winning because he was able to establish claims over Stoke and us making illegal approaches to him. Never quite worked that one out! Gillingham then threatened to sue us, and at the same time threatened to sue Pulis for blackmail. Never far from the courts, is he?!

He had us playing some of the worst football I've ever seen from any city manager in my time of watching from 1981-82. And that says something as we were playing young kids and players from the western league. To think we could of had moysey at the time whose stock was high is a disgrace. It was one of the worst discussions a city board has ever made.

9 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not sure if I missed a thread on this, as I have been working far too much and paying too little attention to stuff on the internet, but this is interesting reading about probably the most despised Manager in my time watching City.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/28/tony-pulis-accused-fraudulent-behaviour-high-court-judgment/

I think you may well have missed a thread on this - probably because the story in that link is nearly two years old - it’s dated November 2016....

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes. And I'm not sure it was ever disputed either. He had a clause with Gillingham which gave home a share of any profit they made on several transfers, and he benefitted from that when City bought Akinbiyi, even though it was Pulis at City when we bought him. Seems wrong. He then had a dispute with Gillingham about whether he should profit further from Gillinghams sell on clause when we sold Akinbiyi, to Wolves. 

That followed the court case which seemed to start as a wrongful dismissal claim by Pulis against Gillingham, but ended with Pulis winning because he was able to establish claims over Stoke and us making illegal approaches to him. Never quite worked that one out! Gillingham then threatened to sue us, and at the same time threatened to sue Pulis for blackmail. Never far from the courts, is he?!

Fake news.

john ward was our manager when we bought akinbiyi 

6 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Fake news.

But how can anyone claim to be an honest broker about the purchase or sale of any player if they receive a percentage of the transfer? Pulis (who clearly hated us) was always going to put his interest above ours. We sold Akinbyi in Sept 1999 when Pulis had only been with us for 2 months.

We got a lot of money for Akinbyi but we didn't replace him.

I remember his only shareholders meeting, he clearly did not want to be there and did not see why a manager should have to attend particularly the Q & A session at the end which were very popular.  Someone challenged "Tiny" why he never used "We" when talking about BCFC, it was always "what we did at Gillingham etc etc and what I did at X" also why he did not acknowledge fans at the end of a game, particularly an away match.  No real explanation or apologies just muttered something along the lines of well that's me ! 

37 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Fake news.

Some of this was news to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/28/newsstory.sport7

After giving evidence for a third day yesterday morning, Pulis accepted a £75,000 settlement in respect of money he was owed as a bonus for the £1.2m sale of Ade Akinbiyi to Bristol City in May 1998.

Gillingham said last night that they always accepted they owed Pulis £50,000 for the Akinbiyi sale. Pulis, however, had been looking for around a further £120,000 in bonuses he claimed he was due after the sales of James Corbett and Iffy Onuora and Akinbiyi's subsequent transfers to Wolves and Leicester.

Yuck.

1 minute ago, Xiled said:

So we secretly interviewed Pulis in May/June 1999, bought his player Akinbyi for a club record fee in July and he joined us in September.

More fake news.

We bought akinbiyi and it was the following year that we appointed Pulis.

Akinbiyi has also already made it clear that he wanted to leave long before we appointed pulis.

1 minute ago, city1983 said:

More fake news.

We bought akinbiyi and it was the following year that we appointed Pulis.

Akinbiyi has also already made it clear that he wanted to leave long before we appointed pulis.

My mistake on the dates. I edited it but you got there first!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke...ha!  I like the way the 3 ex-players must have ‟misremembered‟,  I can think of another term for that?  Wonder how much they were promised by Pullis for their temporary amnesia.  Whole thing has the putrid stench of greed and arrogance surrounding it.  I cannot believe that any club would still employ him ?  Get everything written down or on tape Flinty.....your working for a proven conniving MF.

28 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

I remember his only shareholders meeting, he clearly did not want to be there and did not see why a manager should have to attend particularly the Q & A session at the end which were very popular.  Someone challenged "Tiny" why he never used "We" when talking about BCFC, it was always "what we did at Gillingham etc etc and what I did at X" also why he did not acknowledge fans at the end of a game, particularly an away match.  No real explanation or apologies just muttered something along the lines of well that's me ! 

I remember it too. Dropped the breaking news that we’d sold Jim Brennan to Forest and as part of the deal we had taken John Burns from them who he described as the next Roy Keane. Utter knob. 

Some notes I made at the time;

In July 1999, Tony Pulis was appointed manager. He had led Gillingham to the playoff final only two months before, but had then been sacked for “Gross Misconduct”.  Despite this, Gillingham sought compensation from City for signing "their" manager.

When struggling Cambridge visited and scored in the first minute, Pulis was vilified. Jones equalised but in the second half Tinnion and Goodridge, who had been providing the only sparks were taken off simultaneously and both teams played the final 20 minutes with only one player up front. The 8,000 crowd booed both teams off the pitch.

In January 2000, City had a goal less draw at Cardiff. Towards the end of the first half, the Cardiff ‘keeper punched out a cross which Tistimetanu immediately kicked past him into the goal. The “goal” was disallowed for offside, Tinnion protested and was sent off! The referee was Mr Dean from the Wirral who had given several surprising decisions against City in games during the previous season. Five days later Pulis resigned and became manager of Portsmouth. The following day City won 3-2 at Bournemouth whilst Portsmouth lost by the same score at home to Wolves, whose equaliser was scored by Tony Branch who Pulis had tried to sign for City and the winner came from Akinbiyi who Pulis had sold to Wolves only four months before.  The following week City were home to leaders Wigan. When City’s players took the field they were seen to be smiling and relaxed. One lifelong fan commented that was the first time that season that had happened.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I still believe to this day that his hatred of City runs so deep that he was actively trying to destroy the club from within when he got the chance to do so.

It was such a happy day when Pompey took him off our hands and didn`t we get some compo too?

Very much so.

He went out of his way to depress the fan base as much as possible. Stating that it would take at least 5-10 years to get City back in the Championship, having just been relegated from it. Also complaining that it would be difficult to compete at Div 3 level. No upbeat message from him ever, as if to try and put people off attending the games altogether (coupled with the awful football, of course).

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I still believe to this day that his hatred of City runs so deep that he was actively trying to destroy the club from within when he got the chance to do so.

It was such a happy day when Pompey took him off our hands and didn`t we get some compo too?

Don't forget when managing a visiting team (WBA?) he stated "It gave me a great deal of pleasure to send out a team at Ashton Gate wearing blue"

Archived