IGNORED

Matty Taylor

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

......when Crouch was 10, he and his Dad would get out of bed at 6 in the morning, and go to the park in the freezing cold English darkness. His dad would just ping footballs at Crouch for hours and hours, and Crouch would try to control them.

Couldn't we do the same with Taylor... ?

Fair enough, but I'm not sure whether his dad would be happy at getting up that early!!!

:dunno:

2 hours ago, bengalcub said:

He press's well but but always bottles the challenge or intentially slows down at the end of a chase,  find him really frustrating to watch , how elliasson didn't get mom is beyond me the lad was superb ...

At last someone who summed up Taylor the best. Taylor has his plusses but does shy away from tackles and could be a lot better player if the coaches sat down with him and went thtough a video of his performance against Blackburn.

I thought he was brilliant today. Yes he can be frustrating at times with his first touch but there's no denying his work rate. All that was missing was a goal which he richly deserved. That clever shot in the second half brought an equally good save from the keeper.

Like all of our players I want them all to do well but Taylor more than most considering the injury set backs he has had. Well done.

2 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Matty Taylor's first touch is a problem.

A player who has an outstanding first touch is Peter Crouch.

I was reading his autobiography, and when Crouch was 10, he and his Dad would get out of bed at 6 in the morning, and go to the park in the freezing cold English darkness. His dad would just ping footballs at Crouch for hours and hours, and Crouch would try to control them.

Couldn't we do the same with Taylor in training? Stand him in the centre circle and ping footballs at him incessantly. For such a naturally talented athlete, I find it difficult to believe that Taylor's first touch is at its absolute best and could not improve at all................

It has been pretty warm recently.

Echo all the opinions about his touch (we also have a 5m pound striker with a questionable touch). But putting that aside, it was a very good performance as he did all the things that he's good at (winning free kicks, harrying opponents, linking up with the midfield) very well. All he needed was a goal to cap things off.

I'll always applaud a city player off when they're subbed, but try to reserve a standing ovation for someone who has really deserved it. I thought he definitely did deserve it today as he played (pretty much) to his full potential, which is all we can really ask of a player really can't we?

It would be interesting if he'd have gotten all these plaudits if Brownhill had blazed his freekick over the bar and Watkins had missed his chance. Because if we'd drawn or lost, it would've been MTs lack of goals that would have been the primary focus. However in both scenarios his overall contribution would have been the same. 

At the beginning of the season I'd have thought there would be no chance MT would start ahead of Fam when he'd returned from suspension. But I couldn't argue if he starts again against Sheffield Utd. 

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

At last someone who summed up Taylor the best. Taylor has his plusses but does shy away from tackles and could be a lot better player if the coaches sat down with him and went thtough a video of his performance against Blackburn.

Strikers are supposed to "shy away" from tackles. They are the ones who get the free kicks for the slightest nudge etc etc

Thought Matty was excellent today

Everything but the goal   was that an 80s band btw?

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Strikers are supposed to "shy away" from tackles. They are the ones who get the free kicks for the slightest nudge etc etc

Thought Matty was excellent today

Everything but the goal   was that an 80s band btw?

Why bother. The bloke was immense today!

How many MOM performances get subbed off after 60 minutes and still win....How many MOM performers get subbed off after 60 mins, Full Stop.

Best performance in a City shirt from him today. Deserved a goal. Was sat watching, thinking how does Fammy get a look in here? Taylor was playing so well and Weimann has scored so many this season, it seemed unfair to bring either off. 

Think the snake has done enough to earn another start in the next game, although the international break may hurt his chances of that.

Think it would be a bit out of order if he's dropped for fam in the next game tbh. He's been a major part in our resurgence in the last three games and deserves to stay put. Think he links really well with weimann, being two quite intelligent footballers.

Fam is not some kind of God footballer that should walk back into the team, he's got to be made to work for his regular place, and that doesn't include a tap in today.

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's started the last three games, we've won them all, scoring eight goals in the process and I reckon he's been directly involved in at least half of them. 

Impressive.  

This is what grinds my gears when people talk about how he's rubbish because he doesn't bag a load of goals. 10 for the team is so much better than 5 for one person. He's one of the most unselfish players I've seen here.

You can see what a pain in the arse he is for opposing players, and gives them no time, and loves the rough’n’tumble.

His first touch is often lacking, but were that to sort itself out, you could add another zero to the end of the fee we paid for him.

Absolutely has a part to play this season, and between him, Fam and Weimann we’ve ended up with some interesting combinations available up top.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This is what grinds my gears when people talk about how he's rubbish because he doesn't bag a load of goals. 10 for the team is so much better than 5 for one person. He's one of the most unselfish players I've seen here.

The big difference this season from last is that MT is at last injury free......last season he was either carrying an injury or recovering from going under the knife.

We’re finally getting to see what Taylor is all about.

I like him, reminds me a bit of someone like Paul Dickov. Clever player who's niggly and horrible to play against.

He's becoming a very different player than I imagined when he first signed, not primarily a goalscorer but the foil for the other forward.

I hope he continues to get minutes because that's the only way we'll consistently see him at his best.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like him, reminds me a bit of someone like Paul Dickov. Clever player who's niggly and horrible to play against.

He's becoming a very different player than I imagined when he first signed, not primarily a goalscorer but the foil for the other forward.

I hope he continues to get minutes because that's the only way we'll consistently see him at his best.

He's a bit of a support striker, isn't he? Or evolving into that anyway.

Think he has more assists than goals for us, which is interesting in itself.

Archived