IGNORED

Marley Watkins

Port Said Red

If he can help us get 2 goals to the good in the majority games, it gives CO'D the opportunity to come on and play with some freedom and get him back on track. As I said in the original post Watkins did cover for Hunt well, I thought they looked like they were starting to get an understanding. I also counted at least 3 occasions where he lost the ball and went and got it back again, compare that to Ryan Kent for example, he's already a step up.

10 hours ago, Swede said:

Its very easy to criticise. I'd prefer to see the positive. No one is perfect but rather than just binning him, how about giving him a bit of support. He is several weeks behind due to injury. He's come off the back of an unsuccessful time at Norwich which must have hit his confidence. You could genuinely see on his face what that goal meant to him.

If that goal kickstarts his career and helps him bed in then we all benefit

I agree entirely so not sure why you quoted my post? I think you probably meant to quote the post from Corsham Alf, to which I was replying, which was basically saying Marley is rubbish and ‘will never be good enough’ ....

11 hours ago, Xiled said:

In conversation at the match I said that Watkins had done very little to justify his place in the team. He scored about 10 minutes later.

I'll be using this tactic again to help the team.

Everyone said the same exact thing about Paterson at Bolton. Personally thought when Watkins went off we looked better. Eliasson got a free roam and skinned every single player consistently and thought he was unlucky not to score. Which also leads me to the topic, has Eliasson ever scored for us?

9 minutes ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Everyone said the same exact thing about Paterson at Bolton. Personally thought when Watkins went off we looked better. Eliasson got a free roam and skinned every single player consistently and thought he was unlucky not to score. Which also leads me to the topic, has Eliasson ever scored for us?

League Cup at Watford.....

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

And on what do you base your theory that he’s rubbish on?   He’s played less than 7 games ffs..........you must be as clever and perceptive as BobbobSuperBob if you can assess a player when you’ve hardly seen him play...................:cool2:

( If you ever bother to watch a game)

With you being unable to decipher between a one legged turtle and Lionel Messi :yes:

Id keep worrying why they don’t serve trolls on a Sunday

:laughcont:

I think with Watkins what we're going to get is versatility, plenty of industry and workrate, physicality and I think he'll get a few important goals. Given his low fee (in relative terms) that's fine for us.

It's pretty much what Scott Wagstaff offered and he was very popular here. Not sure why people are still seemingly lukewarm about Watkins. I don't think any of us expected him to be the best player we've ever signed so he's hardly underachieving. 

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

( If you ever bother to watch a game)

With you being unable to decipher between a one legged turtle and Lionel Messi

I’m sure most of us would like to see your ‘expert’ view on Watkins as you are able to make an assessment on a player you’ve hardly see play..........?

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think with Watkins what we're going to get is versatility, plenty of industry and workrate, physicality and I think he'll get a few important goals. Given his low fee (in relative terms) that's fine for us.

It's pretty much what Scott Wagstaff offered and he was very popular here. Not sure why people are still seemingly lukewarm about Watkins. I don't think any of us expected him to be the best player we've ever signed so he's hardly underachieving. 

I believe people see him as a failure at Norwich and has only been bought because LJ knows him from Barnsley.

Not a sexy signing for those folks who may believe we could have signed other Championship experienced players for a million quid who would slot right in and be a hit straight away even considering injury and a lack of preseason.

:disapointed2se:

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure most of us would like to see your ‘expert’ view on Watkins as you are able to make an assessment on a player you’ve hardly see play..........?

Not having a go, but several of us watch other teams too, so have already started to make assessments on lots of players, whether they are on our radar or not.  In my case it’s generally following Championship games on telly (Sky matches and highlights), whereas others will go to live matches, reserve matches etc.  In Watkins case I’ve seen him in a City shirt 5 times, not all 90 minutes, not in the flesh either, plus a couple of times live against us, plus a few more on tv.  I suspect others will have seen him many more times.  I know someone on here will have scouted him at Bath City....and another who’s not on OTIB (sacrilege) will have seen him north of the border too.  They have pretty consistent opinions if him.

I think in Bob’s case, he used to do some proper scouting, so will be looking at different things to your average fan, who tends to only focus on City’s eleven players....some don’t even do that!

It doesn’t necessarily make any of us better judges of a player (i’ll get me coat re Woodrow!), but it helps if you’ve seen them more than once or twice.  I suspect Bob has seen him more than “hardly’.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

i think in Bob’s case, he used to do some proper scouting, so will be looking at different things to your average fan, who tends to only focus on City’s eleven players....

It doesn’t necessarily make any of us better judges of a player (i’ll get me coat re Woodrow!), but it helps if you’ve seen them more than once or twice.  I suspect Bob has seen him more than “hardly’.

I’ve never scouted players but have seen around 2500 live games at AG over several decades  and if there’s one thing I’ve learnt over that time it’s that new players can often take as long as a season to produce their best - just look at Eliasson now compared to last season.....

To me it’s utterly ridiculous to judge any player if you haven’t seen them play live around  a dozen or more times. 

Take Watkins - he’s played three games at AG ffs and yet is considered a waste of money by some posters........... ........:disapointed2se:

Premature or what? 

As for Bob - he may well have done some proper scouting and would certainly know what to look for in a player that fans wouldn’t necessarily look for but there is no need to sneer at other people’s opinions because they don’t have the same skills.  To me that’s arrogant and unnecessary.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never scouted players but have seen around 2500 live games at AG over several decades  and if there’s one thing I’ve learnt over that time it’s that new players can often take as long as a season to produce their best - just look at Eliasson now compared to last season.....

To me it’s utterly ridiculous to judge any player if you haven’t seen them play live around  a dozen or more times. 

Take Watkins - he’s played three games at AG ffs and yet is considered a waste of money by some posters........... ........:disapointed2se:

Premature or what? 

As for Bob - he may well have done some proper scouting and would certainly know what to look for in a player that fans wouldn’t necessarily look for but there is no need to sneer at other people’s opinions because they don’t have the same skills.  To me that’s arrogant and unnecessary.

I think that was partly the point I was trying to make, that people who watch lots of games, and a subset of these, watch them critically / analytically.  They will see things the average punter won’t, but importantly will look for good and bad traits / habits / technique over a series of games....not 3 as you say.

Watkins is definitely not a technical player like Eliasson, but can be just as effective in a team set up.  I think LJ is picking him for balance, not too many little’uns, especially with Fam being out til yesterday.  I like the fact that we have all sorts.  Back in the JJ days we had one speedy, bustling winger and one little skilful one.

I never really thought Lampard was a great technical footballer, nor an elegant mover, but he knew where Drogba was gonna lay it off, and if he did have one technical attribute it was shooting.  Had his limitations too, didn’t get his head-up enough, hence why at the top level internationally he was nowhere near the player he was at Chelsea.  Still did decently though.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not having a go, but several of us watch other teams too, so have already started to make assessments on lots of players, whether they are on our radar or not.  In my case it’s generally following Championship games on telly (Sky matches and highlights), whereas others will go to live matches, reserve matches etc.  In Watkins case I’ve seen him in a City shirt 5 times, not all 90 minutes, not in the flesh either, plus a couple of times live against us, plus a few more on tv.  I suspect others will have seen him many more times.  I know someone on here will have scouted him at Bath City....and another who’s not on OTIB (sacrilege) will have seen him north of the border too.  They have pretty consistent opinions if him.

I think in Bob’s case, he used to do some proper scouting, so will be looking at different things to your average fan, who tends to only focus on City’s eleven players....some don’t even do that!

Interesting, I've just read an article from a professional scout from Scotland who says three views is normally enough to give you a good sense of a player to the trained eye. Have to admit i'm unaware of Greg Gordon tho ?

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-football-scout-watch-games

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Interesting, I've just read an article from a professional scout from Scotland who says three views is normally enough to give you a good sense of a player to the trained eye. Have to admit i'm unaware of Greg Gordon tho ?

https://www.quora.com/How-does-a-football-scout-watch-games

Ta, very interesting...you will get a sense, definitely, but you sometimes need additional games, varied oppositions to improve that view.

I watch my games from the middle tier of the LS, towards the SS corner, bang in line with the goal-line.  It’s a great view to watch a game generally, but I really miss being behind the gosl-line, towards one corner, where I could study movement, marking, tracking, etc.  

I find I watch games too much like a tv match these days, whereas from my old position I had a much better appreciation of what was going on off the ball.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, very interesting...you will get a sense, definitely, but you sometimes need additional games, varied oppositions to improve that view.

I watch my games from the middle tier of the LS, towards the SS corner, bang in line with the goal-line.  It’s a great view to watch a game generally, but I really miss being behind the gosl-line, towards one corner, where I could study movement, marking, tracking, etc.  

I find I watch games too much like a tv match these days, whereas from my old position I had a much better appreciation of what was going on off the ball.

Indeed, he says something similar in the article. I always try and mix it up haven’t found my preferred viewing spot yet! 

Watkins seems like a hardworking team player to me.  The squad looks really strong on the wings at the moment and if O’Dowda needs to perform from the bench for a few games before breaking back in to the team and Eliasson has to keep hitting his current high level of performance to keep his place then that’s got to be a good thing.  Watkins looks like the sort of player who won’t let anyone down, he may not be as pacey and skilful as Eliasson, O’Dowda and hopefully Adelakun but it takes all types of players to form a balanced squad and if we are to have a successful season they will all have to play their part between now and May. Go back a few seasons and we would have had a Watkins type player and not much else.  The squads come on and I t’s great that we have 4 good ones to pick from.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree entirely so not sure why you quoted my post? I think you probably meant to quote the post from Corsham Alf, to which I was replying, which was basically saying Marley is rubbish and ‘will never be good enough’ ....

Correct; I was agreeing with your points.

People are entitled to their opinions but I do get tired of fans being very quick to criticise. Here is a person who has been successful at this level but has had a rough year, must be low on confidence, moved to a different City and picked up an injury.

So what if Norwich fans didn't rate him, maybe they should be saving their  criticism for their club for not getting the best out of him.

On 23/08/2018 at 13:30, Robbored said:

How can you claim that they’re not improvements when City have played just four games? 

Kelly can and has filled the LB vacancy. He can also play at CB. LJ has brought in Dasilva on a season longer loan, also to cover at LB.

Wiemann has four in four......

Webster is a better footballer than Flint ever was. He can bring the ball out, something big Aden couldnt do with his turning circle of a double decker bus......

23rd August having seen him in .......two competitive games

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

And on what do you base your theory that he’s rubbish on?   He’s played less than 7 games ffs..........you must be as clever and perceptive as BobbobSuperBob if you can assess a player when you’ve hardly seen him play...................:cool2:

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Premature or what? 

A total hypocrite  :yes::yes:

As well as a sad troll :yes::yes:

Ill leave this here.......

It’s too early for me to judge him yet. One thing that strikes me though is that so far I find it difficult to see what type of player he is. For someone playing wide on Sunday he didn’t seem very quick or comfortable on the ball when running at the opposition. On the plus side he was willing to work and his height and physicality are a bonus. Not sure whether it’s a coincidence, but Hunt looked much more comfortable playing behind him. Watkins also took his goal well - a cool finish rather than snatching at it (which might have been expected after a few occasions when his touch had seemed to desert him).

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Unlike you to talk complete drivel

You been going to the Gate for about 80 years then

:yawn:

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Actually, 2,500 home games at the current average number of home games per season is well over 100 seasons...just how old is Robbored?!

I allowed for sustained cup runs

No allowance for missing games mind

Think he’s confused with bowls - maybe his knowledge of bowls is his forte

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

23rd August having seen him in .......two competitive games

A total hypocrite  :yes::yes:

As well as a sad troll :yes::yes:

Ill leave this here.......

wasn't sure which emoji to use as don't know what they mean so ?

Archived