IGNORED

Mciness - Season 2012 2013

Londoner

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I always remember the away match against Bolton:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/report-bolton-wanderers-3-2-bristol-city/

2-0 up and coasting, thanks to two Davies goals, when I went into Sainsburys to do the weekly shop; 2-2 when I came out and I feared the worst, which came eight minutes from time.  That defeat seemed to be a turning point, and we went to pieces in the next few matches, losing five more on the spin.

I do still wonder if McInnes might have turned it around, given more time, but you have to have doubts about anyone who thought that Ricky Foster was a Championship player...

It's bizarre really... I couldn't make many games that season but had quite a good record! Didn’t see us lose at home having won 4 drawn 1 and away from home saw us win 2 lose 4 draw 1... So as far as i was concerned we were in contention for the playoffs!  COYR!! 

Seriously though that game at bolton felt like a tipping point. The moment they scored the free kick (which eagles dived to get) there was a sense of inveitability that we were going to lose.

Other highlights of the season include our own fans chanting "off! Off! Off!" away at huddersfield when fontaine had pulled down a player clean through(ish) on goal in what is still to this day one of the worst games of football ive ever seen... And lets be honest we have all seen a few of them.

On 09/09/2018 at 09:15, Judda said:

He's done a great job north of the boarder before and after his city stint.

Odd innit.

Maybe City players could hardly understand him. I mean a lot can be lost in translation especially across the pitch and add in a glaswegian sounding gutterell accent and often you have no chance. "You shoot" could be heard as "youz shit". What a demotivator that would be. No wonder he liked Pearson; the unofficial translator perhaps?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

O'Driscoll did have a bit of a honeymoon period- at home at least.

If memory serves, we beat Ipswich, Watford, Forest, Boro and Barnsley at home in successive games was it- drew with Brighton too who were quite high up. Sadly the inability to get anything away negated it a bit- and the loss at Wolves after we scored first, well the writing was on the wall.

The Wolves game was the one where I knew we were going down. Winning 1-0 well into the 2nd half then conceded 2 goals in quick succession to end up losing. 

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

It's bizarre really... I couldn't make many games that season but had quite a good record! Didn’t see us lose at home having won 4 drawn 1 and away from home saw us win 2 lose 4 draw 1... So as far as i was concerned we were in contention for the playoffs!  COYR!! 

Seriously though that game at bolton felt like a tipping point. The moment they scored the free kick (which eagles dived to get) there was a sense of inveitability that we were going to lose.

Other highlights of the season include our own fans chanting "off! Off! Off!" away at huddersfield when fontaine had pulled down a player clean through(ish) on goal in what is still to this day one of the worst games of football ive ever seen... And lets be honest we have all seen a few of them.

I had similar.

i managed 3 games that season. 4-1 win over Palace, 4-2 win over Cardiff and 5-3 win against Barnsley.

43 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The Wolves game was the one where I knew we were going down. Winning 1-0 well into the 2nd half then conceded 2 goals in quick succession to end up losing. 

Quite agree.

I was travelling that day and was delighted at 1-0...went through a tunnel and to my horror we were 2-1 down!

As you say, that was the moment we knew- at 1-0 a genuine survival push looked plausible with our run in and near perfect home record under O'Driscoll.

Interesting how there is pretty much unanimous agreement that the McInnes era was a dreadful time for the club - and yet it was only 5-6 years ago.

Hopefully it might help those who struggle with perspective to find some about where we are as a club now. Consider how we’ve since recovered from relegation, ripped up League One, and now established ourselves as a Championship club to the point where failure to make the playoffs was a major disappointment. There have certainly been highs and lows under LJ, but the club on and off the pitch has come an awful long way since the McInnes period. For a good while now we’ve had a squad of players that are generally popular and liked by supporters - which hasn’t always been the case - and of course we have a stadium to be proud of. Things have been a lot worse!

47 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting how there is pretty much unanimous agreement that the McInnes era was a dreadful time for the club - and yet it was only 5-6 years ago.

Hopefully it might help those who struggle with perspective to find some about where we are as a club now. Consider how we’ve since recovered from relegation, ripped up League One, and now established ourselves as a Championship club to the point where failure to make the playoffs was a major disappointment. There have certainly been highs and lows under LJ, but the club on and off the pitch has come an awful long way since the McInnes period. For a good while now we’ve had a squad of players that are generally popular and liked by supporters - which hasn’t always been the case - and of course we have a stadium to be proud of. Things have been a lot worse!

Wasn't just McInnes though, was it?

The summer recruitment under Copout, the high churn of managers- different players of GJ, Copout, Millen and yes McInnes, all recruited with different gameplans in mind.

Then O'Driscoll- 5 managers excluding caretakers in less than 3 years.

What a mess- relegation was inevitable looking back- we needed it in some ways IMO, painful though that is to claim. The longer we papered over the cracks, the worse we made things in some ways.

We even went to the bottom 2 in League One in December 2013, then bottom in Cotts' first home game v Rotherham- hell going into March despite his galvanising effect, we were in the bottom 4 before Mark Saunders and his rousing speech v Gillingham.

Come so far since then in a lot of respects. Yes on the pitch purely in terms of position, a similar place to GJ's 09/10 early season Championship side, but off the pitch?

Club surely a lot healthier, more stable- younger squad with much more sell on potential too than 9 seasons back.

On 09/09/2018 at 11:51, Red Right Hand said:

We still had Kilkenny & Woolford too didn`t we? And who could forget the midfield dynamo signed to save our season, Brian Howard.

The season all started so brightly too, stuffing Palace & Cardiff scoring four both times.

I just had a look at the results from that season and must admit I`d forgotten we only got two points from our last nine games!

Two bright points, albeit in hindsight, was that Bobby and Joe signed their first pro contracts that season I think.

Both Cardiff and Palace went up that season, was genuinely puzzling.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't McInnes give Bryan his debut?

Unsure about Reid, when his debut was.

Not sure about the debut for Reid but I remember him scoring a lovely goal in the last game of the season in a 4-1 loss away at Charlton that season we went down. I think it was his first goal so his debut could have been under McInnes. 

EDIT: looks like he played half hour in the final game of 2010/11 season under Millen. 

Archived