IGNORED

I'm Moving To Bristol

StapleHillPhil

I had a similar problem when I wanted to move back to Bristol.

Clifton, Sneyd Park, Cotham, Westbury on Trym and Westbury Village are nice if you can afford it.

Horfield/Fishponds are fine but a little far out.

Southville is perfect for affordability/location, hence the prices starting to rise in the area.

Soon all of Bedminster is going to be called Southville if all of the residents have their way.  :D

And of course the best bit of southville/bedme is that Ashton gate is so close...

When you say Southville,surely you mean Lower Clifton?

I would just like to say as a City fan living in Whitchurch that it is a lovely place to live.

Yes it is surrounded by areas with poor reputations on its sides and you do get the normal problems with youths on scooters and stuff, but problems are few and far between.

I live in an area with a big green in the middle of it where my kids and all the other local kids all play together every day and night and love it.

I walk my dog in a conservation area 1 minutes walk from my front door and I love where I live.

Only snobbery and foolishness dictates that areas such as Whitchurch and Stockwood are not nice places to live.

Every area in a major city has its share of arseholes.

At least I can park on my drive every day and I haven't got scores of ###### up people looking for trouble 5 minutes away from my front door every night as residents in Clifton have.

I wouldn't swap my postal address for anything closer to the City Centre.

I would just like to say as a City fan living in Whitchurch that it is a lovely place to live.

Yes it is surrounded by areas with poor reputations on its sides and you do get the normal problems with youths on scooters and stuff, but problems are few and far between.

I live in an area with a big green in the middle of it where my kids and all the other local kids all play together every day and night and love it.

I walk my dog in a conservation area 1 minutes walk from my front door and I love where I live.

Only snobbery and foolishness dictates that areas such as Whitchurch and Stockwood are not nice places to live.

Every area in a major city has its share of arseholes. 

At least I can park on my drive every day and I haven't got scores of ###### up people looking for trouble 5 minutes away from my front door every night as residents in Clifton have.

I wouldn't swap my postal address for anything closer to the City Centre.

I agree with you.

Most of the places that people have said to avoid are actually full of decent people. I've known people who have lived peacefully in bedminster most of their life and then moved to Long Ashton to retire and have had constant problems with their neighbours. It is a bit of pot luck really.

If you want walking distance to Park Street - Southville and The Chessels are very nice places to live. Bedminster is nice but has some dodgy areas. I would stay close to North Street and the Tabacco Factory if I was you. Windmill Hill is good but no parking!

My better half has just been offered a job with Bristol University which she will most probably accept.

We need to find somewhere to rent that is reasonably safe and has decent access to Park Street.  We cant afford the upper end of the market so sensible suggestions only please!

Can you please advise me on suitable areas along with those which I should avoid like the plague? Can anybody also suggest the name of a good (or cheap!) letting agent? Drop messages to my inbox or email if you dont wish to offend people on here.

If anybody wants to rent me a 2 bed house with parking that would also be appreciated.

Information leading to a successful rental will be rewarded with copious amounts of Cider prior to the Torquay game.

Many thanks,

Phil

Mod Men - I've only got this weekend to find somewhere so if you could refrain from removing this from the City section for a while you'd be doing me a huge favour.

Come and live in Yate the red tide is swelling here and a few more of us will drown the gas!!!

Guest dez_gimred

after reading all this i suggest your other half commutes..

and you live in the peaceful land of somerset or wiltshire, where the fields are green and the sky is blue and spring lambs parade in the sun..

:D

after reading all this i suggest your other half commutes..

and you live in the peaceful land of somerset or wiltshire, where the fields are green and the sky is blue and spring lambs parade in the sun..

Don't live in Wiltshire! Unless of course you enjoy going to the same place each week seeing the same people talking about the same things. Namely how people in froome have webbed fingers and toes.

"Ashton" you could throw a stone and hit the gate thats how close it is, nice area good pub (The Robins) quick route out of the city to anywhere.good properties for rent, close to the centre and the uni.

Only problem is s##t tele reception if you aint got sky.

This is the "statement" that I am referring too. I must of been on holiday when this poll went round. I see he hasn't responded to where he lives....ladies front bottom!

I notice Willsbridge hasn't been mentioned either!  :D

There was no poll, i'm the poll thats how it works.

I've lived in most parts of Bristol but I'm not telling you where i live!! :D

Guest redglider

Try Filwood high st in Knowle West, as its good for shopping variety. Otherwise the Long Cross in Lawrence Weston has a lot of period character. Both are inexpensive.

Try Filwood high st in Knowle West, as its good for shopping variety.  Otherwise the Long Cross in Lawrence Weston has a lot of period character.  Both are inexpensive.

I would rather DIE than step foot anywhere near Knowle West or Lawwry west, jesus christ they are a breeding ground for crime, unemployment & drugs! (sorry, it's true). :D

I think this poster is having a steffy :D

I would rather DIE than step foot anywhere near Knowle West or Lawwry west, jesus christ they are a breeding ground for crime, unemployment & drugs! (sorry, it's true).  :D

I think this poster is having a steffy  :D

Drugs in Bristol?

Well have a look at Clifton. The only difference it's a social snort for the cliftoners!

Kings Norton Red, does this mean you'll be changing your username?

I think i'm under enough stress with trying to find myself a house and job! The additional pressure of having to think of a new username might just send me over the edge.

If anybody needs a top quality financial planner/project accountant to join their company then drop me a line!

If you like to ride around a lot, anywhere alongside either the Showcase (75-77) or the 24-25 bus routes is generally tops as they're the best of a BAAAAAD bunch.

Otherwise Bedminster/Southville out of bias, definite walking distance to the Gate and no end of pubs en route. Shoppers be advised- East Street goes from Times Square to Ghost Town at 5-6pm daily and all Sunday.

Aviod - Knowle West, Easton, Southmead, St Pauls, Lawrence Weston, Avonmouth, Hartcliffe, Whitchurch, Kingswood, Yate, Shirehampton, St Werburgs, Fishponds, Filton, Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke, Patchway, Lockleaze & Henbury.

Err how can you produce a list of places to avoid that includes Whitchurch, Hartcliffe, Yate and Bradley Stoke, but absolutely no mention of Barton Hill at all, is that where you live then!? Actually thinking about it Withywood isn't on there either....

The only thing wrong with Hartcliffe is the opinion that people have about it. Having lived there for 20 years I can honestly say it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The Symes riots from the early 90's is one of the reasons that it has a bad name, and believe it or not Symes Avenue was actually a half tidy place before then.

Whats wrong with Whitchurch? The only thing I don't like about it there, are the fact that some of the residents seem to think they are that much better than you - snobs if you like. Apart from that there's nothing wrong with it.

Guest AngelofAvonmouth

Must confess, I am looking to move from Avonmouth but it's not all that bad! Nice view of the bridge and the refineries and loads of cars! And nice pubs! I just want to be nearer where I work.

:dunno::dunno:

Lawerence Weston is good enough for anyone to live in. My whole family comes from there and I've had no bad experiences. I'd say don't move to Easton as that is one of the worst places due to the stabbings last carnival. Have to agree with you Taz, hartcliffe is not bad it just has been branded as bad by others. I go to hartcliffe on a regular basis and i have had nothing bad happen to me.

Theres good and bad everywhere we just have to live with it.

Archived