IGNORED

I'm Moving To Bristol

StapleHillPhil

My better half has just been offered a job with Bristol University which she will most probably accept.

We need to find somewhere to rent that is reasonably safe and has decent access to Park Street. We cant afford the upper end of the market so sensible suggestions only please!

Can you please advise me on suitable areas along with those which I should avoid like the plague? Can anybody also suggest the name of a good (or cheap!) letting agent? Drop messages to my inbox or email if you dont wish to offend people on here.

If anybody wants to rent me a 2 bed house with parking that would also be appreciated.

Information leading to a successful rental will be rewarded with copious amounts of Cider prior to the Torquay game.

Many thanks,

Phil

Mod Men - I've only got this weekend to find somewhere so if you could refrain from removing this from the City section for a while you'd be doing me a huge favour.

Try Southville Phil.

Always a few signs up to rent. 10 minutes walk from the Gate, some good pubs, Kwan's is an excellent chippie. Fairly stable population with lots of young families as well as students.

Known as "Lower Clifton" by Estate Agents. North Street has changed dramatically in the last 5 years or so with a number of new up market cafe/ bars and restaurants. East Street not so hot but very little reason to go there.

Obviously good for Park Street - walk over Gaol Ferry Bridge and you're almost in Queens Square.

Only downside, like most places, is commuter parking during the day. :D

Kingsdown is close to Park Street - but has a dodgy reputation.

Bemmy is a bit further away but cheaper than many area's and an up and coming des res area.

Avoid the inner city if you want to feel safe at night.

But...the best place of all has to be BS3!

I should avoid all areas with a BS postcode.

Mmm...sensible when he's moving to Bristol...(and yes I do recognise sarcasm)

Seriously, despite the gas anywhere round Gloucester Rd is reasonable and isn't that expensive

Clifton, Stoke Bishop, Sneyd Park are expensive, but nice,

Westbury, Redland, Cotham, Henleaze, Westbury Park are pritty expensive, but nice, also Horfield, Montpellier ^ St Pauls are close by.

These are mostly northwest parts of Bristol, but careful around Horfield area as its where the Gas play, but its fine really.

Loads of places to live in Bristol, just depends on your budget.

If you are looking close to Park St(Clifton) then for a 2 bed flat unfurnished is about 500-600 a month, you can pay way more though, but not much less and parking is just a nightmare....you have been warned!

Cotham & Redland are pritty nice places to live but lots of students, close to pubs you see. :D:D

There are many Agents in Clifton/Whiteladies RD/Park St, if you have a chance i suggest you have a look about, but the best place to look is the Evening post but i'm not sure what day is the Property pages :D

For now you can just Google agents in bristol and look for those names.

Best of luck, and if you do move down i'll sure you enjoy it, Bristol's a nice place to live.

Guest Bigals
Mmm...sensible when he's moving to Bristol...(and yes I do recognise sarcasm)

Seriously, despite the gas anywhere round Gloucester Rd is reasonable and isn't that expensive

What is sarcasm?

CLIFTON, STOKE BISHOP, SNEYD PARK, WESTBURY ON TRYM, REDLAND, COTHAM, HENLEAZE, WESTBURY PARK.

These are by far the nicest places to live.

I will tell you the places to aviod but i'll be branded a raceist and a snob.

Narrow you search to North, North/West only.

Aviod - Knowle West, Easton, Southmead, St Pauls, Lawrence Weston, Avonmouth, Hartcliffe, Whitchurch, Kingswood, Yate, Shirehampton, St Werburgs, Fishponds, Filton, Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke, Patchway, Lockleaze & Henbury.

And i dont care what anyone says about this because you know i'm right!

You can gaurentee given the chance over 90% of Bristolians would rather live somewhere else than here, i'm just telling it how it is and saying what people who are just too dimplomatic wanna say.

If i have offended anyone then you should not get so easly offended and chill out. :D

Guest zider_head

Aviod - Knowle West, Easton, Southmead, St Pauls, Lawrence Weston, Avonmouth, Hartcliffe, Whitchurch, Kingswood, Yate, Shirehampton, St Werburgs, Fishponds, Filton, Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke, Patchway, Lockleaze & Henbury.

Just out of intrest whats wrong with Yate ?

I live in chipping sodbury but 90 5 of yate is nice

where do u live then ? and be honest

Guest bristolbred

Sea Mills is ok!, :D

But what you should do, i find a pub that you really like, and move to within walking distence of it!!, :Party12: :D

Walking distance of Park St and a nice area, not yet over run by students? It has to be Southville/Bedminster/Windmill Hill. All good areas, nice pubs, family housing and on the up and of course walking distance of AG.

There is a letting agents on Coronation Road that seems to be pretty good and does stuff in above areas (can't remember their name sorry).

Good luck

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Cadbury Heath is very reasonable and worth a look, also Longwell Green, Oldland, North Common and Willsbridge (not the estate though) are affordable but nice.

Avoid Kingswood - Refugee camps are nicer

I had a similar problem when I wanted to move back to Bristol.

Clifton, Sneyd Park, Cotham, Westbury on Trym and Westbury Village are nice if you can afford it.

Horfield/Fishponds are fine but a little far out.

Southville is perfect for affordability/location, hence the prices starting to rise in the area.

Soon all of Bedminster is going to be called Southville if all of the residents have their way. :D

And of course the best bit of southville/bedme is that Ashton gate is so close...

Oi! I live in St Werburghs and it's nice!

Herberts bakery not far, Miners arms a great pub, lovely walks on the narroways.

Better food co. organic supermarket, Climbing centre if you like that sort of thing and the City farm for fresh ducks eggs.

It is close to some rough areas but there's always the M32 to make a quick getaway. :D

CLIFTON, STOKE BISHOP, SNEYD PARK, WESTBURY ON TRYM, REDLAND, COTHAM, HENLEAZE, WESTBURY PARK.

These are by far the nicest places to live.

I will tell you the places to aviod but i'll be branded a raceist and a snob.

Narrow you search to North, North/West only.

Aviod -  Knowle West, Easton, Southmead, St Pauls, Lawrence Weston, Avonmouth, Hartcliffe, Whitchurch, Kingswood, Yate, Shirehampton, St Werburgs, Fishponds, Filton, Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke, Patchway, Lockleaze & Henbury.

You can gaurentee given the chance over 90% of Bristolians would rather live somewhere else than here, i'm just telling it how it is and saying what people who are just too dimplomatic wanna say.

If i have offended anyone then you should not get so easly offended and chill out.  :D

Ciderhider, you are either failing miserably to be sarcastic or just a straightforward fool.....I go with the latter, I'm sure you wont be offended.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I think CiderHiders spot on with his avoid areas!

Can't belive no one's said to avoid Barton Hill - Bristols poorest area

If i have offended anyone then you should not get so easly offended and chill out.  :D

This is the "statement" that I am referring too. I must of been on holiday when this poll went round. I see he hasn't responded to where he lives....ladies front bottom!

I notice Willsbridge hasn't been mentioned either! :D

Archived