IGNORED

An Apology

LondonBristolian

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If we are going to hold him accountable for the poor runs (and I think he is responsible as much as the players) then we have to give him credit for the good runs. You never know if he's fixed the long bad streaks - the fact he has been given another chance means he has a better chance this time.

It’s not really another chance is it. He’s Lansdown’s man, mentored and hand-picked by SL himself. He’s as much “The Project” as The Project itself. And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing at all tbf. 

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If we are going to hold him accountable for the poor runs (and I think he is responsible as much as the players) then we have to give him credit for the good runs. You never know if he's fixed the long bad streaks - the fact he has been given another chance means he has a better chance this time.

Which in fairness I think I did. I hope you’re right on fixing the bad streaks. 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

As a Johnson out man even I have to say well done,

the change in tactics in the second half won the game,

You really are pursuing this ridiculous stance of Johnson Out despite  we have won four on the bounce= 3rd in the league, and you still wan't him out?

I have asked you before who would you bring in to replace a manager that is just won four on the bounce and 3rd in the league? 

You didn't reply then and you certainly won't now . 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Slight exaggeration there DP.

LJ set the wrong formation to start with and consequently the Blades bossed the game, particularly in the midfield but at ht he changed the set up.

He made the substitutes around the same time he usually does - with around the 65/70 min. That gives them enough time to change the game and today it worked perfectly 

Utter rubbish.  Everyone on this forum were advocating three at the back for this match.

Still, you were never one to give anyone any credit were you.  

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

You really are pursuing this ridiculous stance of Johnson Out despite  we have won four on the bounce= 3rd in the league, and you still wan't him out?

I have asked you before who would you bring in to replace a manager that is just won four on the bounce and 3rd in the league? 

God blimey! Let’s slow down a minute.... he’s gone on a very little good run and everyone is saying the out crew should be locked up in broadmoor for 20 to 40 years! Holster that gun private.... let’s see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Utter rubbish.  Everyone on this forum were advocating three at the back for this match.

Still, you were never one to give anyone any credit were you.  

Credit?  

LJ got it wrong first half. He obviously realised that and changed his intial set up at half time and the second 45 was far better. He also brought on  the right substitutes at the right time and they linked up to create and score the winning goal

Top marks to him for introducing a different set of tactics which won us three points.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Credit?  

LJ got it wrong first half. He obviously realised that and changed his intial set up at half time and the second 45 was far better. He also brought on  the right substitutes at the right time and they linked up to create and score the winning goal

Top marks to him for introducing a different set of tactics which won us three points.

Not what happened

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Credit?  

No, the plan worked to perfection. Sheff Utd, highest 1st half goal scorers in the Champ held 0-0

2nd half we gradually get on top, score, grow stronger and what's the problem.

Credit to LJ, Robbered... go on , admit it

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Do explain PSR.........what was your take on the two halves today?

Not again. I don't have to do I? Like I said in post 8 in this thread, we played a defensive formation to stifle them as much as possible, then switched formation when the spaces appeared when they had blown themselves out. Although they did create some chances, they spent more time being chased back into their own half and playing back to their keeper. Don't take my word for it, go and find Johnsons interview on Radio Bristol after the  game.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would argue his tactics throughout won us the game. We matched them up to let them huff and puff, then went for the jugular. Classic Rope a Dope. :)

*edit* At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I have just listened to LJ's interview on RB, where he has confirmed that this was his intention all along. ?

Spot on PSR.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not again. I don't have to do I? Like I said in post 8 in this thread, we played a defensive formation to stifle them as much as possible, then switched formation when the spaces appeared when they had blown themselves out. Although they did create some chances, they spent more time being chased back into their own half and playing back to their keeper. Don't take my word for it, go and find Johnsons interview on Radio Bristol after the  game.

That’s another way of assessing the game I guess but to me and those around me the view was that the Blades were stifling out play as we were light in midfield during the first 45.

It was different  in the second half because of the changes that LJ made to counter the dominance they had in midfield. 

We all see games differently I guess.....

I missed LJs RB interview unfortunately but have listened to his summary on the OS.

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Lee will take some credit from me as well today but I just wish he wouldn’t set up teams to stop the opposition rather than try to win the game but credit where it’s due he changed it so fair play 

I agree with your sentiments but life isn't always about free flowing quick passing football. 

It's often about grinding out three points with a 1-0 win.

I'd prefer 5-0 when we murder the opposition but I'll take the result today because it means we are a lot closer to the top than the bottom. I've seen too many games in my life where we murder the opposition but end up losing. So a welcome three points today.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

That’s another way of assessing the game I guess but to me and those around me the view was that the Blades were stifling out play as we were light in midfield during the first 45.

It was different  in the second half because of the changes that LJ made to counter the dominance they had in midfield. 

Pre game, i went on the forum and asked for patience... as it happens, during the first half I went back on my own word and was probably among the most impatient in the ground :laugh:. BUT you have to hand it to LJ and the team, the game plan did work... we won.

Nobody said it was easy, this is the Championship after all

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I missed LJs RB interview unfortunately but have listened to his summary on the OS.

Well as I have also already said tonight, even their Manager doesn't appear to realise that they were invited to have possession for large parts of the first half, so it's probably not surprising that a lot of fans didn't. Personally, it was only something that I thought had happened after the game, and then had confirmed for me by the interview.

Having said that, there weren't any boos or many disgruntled comments at half time, so maybe a few could see the plan unfolding where the rest of us couldn't?

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Having said that, there weren't any boos or many disgruntled comments at half time, so maybe a few could see the plan unfolding where the rest of us couldn't?

There was no negativity from the crowd at half time because most of us could see what a very decent side the Blades were and that we were doing well to be holding them.

At the break I was chatting with the guys around me and we all wondered what LJ could do to change things and most felt it would be a test of his tactical acumen.

He changed formation and that essentially made a significant difference. The midfield became more balanced and then the two subs he made created and scored the winning goal.

Me, nor anyone I chatted to at half time thought that the tough first half was a part of LJs longer match  strategy.......

I would say this was one of LJs finest days. Brave to match them and neutralise them for the first hour, then spot on subs and execution

Watching from the Dolman I have to say the team kept their shape, in both formations, very well which shows they are well drilled

bloody brilliant day and great result

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There was no negativity from the crowd at half time because most of us could see what a very decent side the Blades were and that we were doing well to be holding them.

At the break I was chatting with the guys around me and we all wondered what LJ could do to change things and most felt it would be a test of his tactical acumen.

He changed formation and that essentially made a significant difference. The midfield became more balanced and then the two subs he made created and scored the winning goal.

Me, nor anyone I chatted to at half time thought that the tough first half was a part of LJs longer match  strategy.......

What would a steward, a cleaner and a ball-boy know about it eh?

45 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with your sentiments but life isn't always about free flowing quick passing football. 

It's often about grinding out three points with a 1-0 win.

I'd prefer 5-0 when we murder the opposition but I'll take the result today because it means we are a lot closer to the top than the bottom. I've seen too many games in my life where we murder the opposition but end up losing. So a welcome three points today.

Without doubt but had their forward not missed guilt edged chances then it would of blown up in his face

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Because that is what the man himself said in his post match interview. 

What did you expect him to say

Thought it was a 'brave' tactical setup. By which I mean changing shape and winning team, whwhile still retaining a resilience in the first half- albeit we really felt under the cosh at times even if not so many shots conceded.

Had we gone Diedhiou and Weimann in a 4-4-2 I would have been concerned- substituting Weimann for Diedhiou sounds like a striker for a striker...it changes the dynamic, the shape- Diedhiou's speed and quality of pressing is much different to Taylor IMO.

Therefore Diedhiou in Weimann out, 4-4-2 would have surrendered the midfield a tad- remember how they hammered us in first half of last game of season tbh.

3 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I do think he set us wrong and let’s be honest, poor finishing meant we were level at half time. The subs at least changed the game and last half an hour was good. 

Sheff Utd are a decent outfit so that’s a good win. 

My concerns remain long term with LJ and bad runs. His last one lasted 28 games or something?! He does however ride the wave of a good run. 

We're parking our cars in the same garage.

Not much need to post as you've already said exactly what I was going to.

I'd just add that there has been a pleasing upward development of some of our young players under the Johnson regime that does endear me to the man and the club's general direction. 

If he avoids the usual seasonal confidence crash this year, we might do something special.

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Lee will take some credit from me as well today but I just wish he wouldn’t set up teams to stop the opposition rather than try to win the game but credit where it’s due he changed it so fair play 

To be fair to him, that's the kind of attitude we could've done with when we were on that awful run last season. So grinding out 1-0s will do just fine if we get another 39 of them.

13 hours ago, South-of-river said:

God blimey! Let’s slow down a minute.... he’s gone on a very little good run and everyone is saying the out crew should be locked up in broadmoor for 20 to 40 years! Holster that gun private.... let’s see what happens. 

You said that not me, I am merely advocating some common sense, I appreciate it must be difficult for the crew at the moment...ahh well there's always the Hawthorns, you can only hope. 

15 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I’ve put the reasons why I don’t want him as manager/headcoach you chose to ignore them,

and I don’t reply to your posts generally because I have you on ignore because you’re a bit of a dick

Archived