IGNORED

Watching tomorrow’s game in London

Shtanley

It is pretty unlikely mate.

Probably a couple of good options:

1) Philomena's in Covent garden - is where London fans often go to watch games together, bar staff well know that Bristol City fans go...but I have no idea if there's a meet up for this one.

2) There's a bar at Marylebone station where I have previously watched Championship games despite Prem games being on. Cannot recall the name but it is the main bar at the station.

3) matchpint.co.uk is reasonably reliable, but I'd always phone up and check first.

4) Just thought - can you find somewhere (pub, café, library) with free wifi and watch it on a laptop? That sort of thing is reasonably acceptable up here in London.

32 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Moved to London from Bristol yesterday and haven’t got any internet set up yet so can’t watch the game via the £10 bcfctv thing.

Is there a pub somewhere that would show us over a champions league game? Any ideas?

Where abouts have you moved to in London Stan? Welcome to the big smoke!

25 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

@cidercity1987 Just rang “the kings”, a pub near angel station and they’re showing it. Wanna go? Any other London city fans without WiFi wanna go :laugh:?

Great pub. Have watched lower league stuff there before. Last time I was there they had an arrangement where you order pizza from the pizza place down the road and they let you eat it in the pub.  Saves them having to do their own food!

PS. Generally in Shoreditch the following are great for football:

1. Bar Kick - big HD screens and table football tables for half time;
  2. The Water Poet - many rooms and screens, plus a cinema room that is sometimes open; and
  3. Crown and Shuttle - decent garden, was great for the World Cup.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The Water Poet - many rooms and screens, plus a cinema room that is sometimes open

But in the middle of summer absolutely swamped with self-absorbed drunk city types. Nice pub, one dimensional crowd.

Best place to watch football was #1 Sports Bar on City Road, run by a West country bloke and always very obliging to City fans, now turned into a breathtakingly pretentious office worker hang out. Same with the (original) Angel pub by Old Street roundabout - used to be perfect for watching football in a proper boozer. 

World cup aside, hipsters and gastro-breweries have seen off live football in most pubs around Shoreditch while I've been working up here. And buy a couple of drinks in some of them and it would have been cheaper to get a helicopter to the Hawthorns to watch the match in person.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

But in the middle of summer absolutely swamped with self-absorbed drunk city types. Nice pub, one dimensional crowd.

Best place to watch football was #1 Sports Bar on City Road, run by a West country bloke and always very obliging to City fans, now turned into a breathtakingly pretentious office worker hang out. Same with the (original) Angel pub by Old Street roundabout - used to be perfect for watching football in a proper boozer. 

World cup aside, hipsters and gastro-breweries have seen off live football in most pubs around Shoreditch while I've been working up here. And buy a couple of drinks in some of them and it would have been cheaper to get a helicopter to the Hawthorns to watch the match in person.

What a dribbling load of shite. There’s plenty of very good places to go in shoreditch, it’s hackney ffs. Try venturing away from the main roads, there’s plenty to see.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

I’m up for a little meet up tomorrow if there’s a few City fans going somewhere, there’s a couple of us.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Should be good for that. Will probably be dragging along two London based friends.

Sweet I was hoping I wouldn’t be on my own in the corner. I’ll see you at “the kings” then! 

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Moved to London from Bristol yesterday and haven’t got any internet set up yet so can’t watch the game via the £10 bcfctv thing.

Is there a pub somewhere that would show us over a champions league game? Any ideas?

the champions league is on BT, so if you find a sports bar that has got both there is nothing much on sky at that time so if you went in early and asked no reason why they couldn't' show it for you.

9 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

What a dribbling load of shite. There’s plenty of very good places to go in shoreditch, it’s hackney ffs. Try venturing away from the main roads

Seriously? What part of watching football did you not get. I work right here and know full well where to go, I was just picking out the easy stereotypes, of which there are many. Shoreditch is a great night out but if you think over the past 5 years proper boozers showing football haven't been turned into gastro-pubs and hipster bars you haven't spent enough time here. I know the owners or managers of 4-5 places, some of which closed, others catering to a new audience.

But I'll make sure I "try venturing away from the main roads" next time when I'm not in my mates boozer in the middle of a housing estate. :facepalm:

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

Seriously? What part of watching football did you not get. I work right here and know full well where to go, I was just picking out the easy stereotypes, of which there are many. Shoreditch is a great night out but if you think over the past 5 years proper boozers showing football haven't been turned into gastro-pubs and hipster bars you haven't spent enough time here. I know the owners or managers of 4-5 places, some of which closed, others catering to a new audience.

But I'll make sure I "try venturing away from the main roads" next time when I'm not in my mates boozer in the middle of a housing estate. :facepalm:

Well you clearly don’t ?

There’s plenty of football pubs up city road, up past Hoxton square, up into dalston. Yes, in the city there are pubs that are occupied by city boys. Who’d a thunk it.

Why would a good pub need to be on a housing estate? Is this some sort of class tourism? You want to knock that on the head, son, that shit is cringey.

And frankly, moaning about gentrification while being a part of the root cause of that gentrification, is a bit dim m8. 

Archived