IGNORED

Johnson - Stick To What You Know

BessexRED

Nearly back from West Brom now but not too disheartened after tonight. A few individual mistakes cost us after not taking early chances, and their strike pairing were great in front of goal, but it’s not time to rip up what has served us well in recent games completely.

I said tonight, there has been a few occasions in the past where Johnson has dropped a young player who has performed well but then had a poor one and he’s been out of the side the next game, it can’t do any good for their confidence at all.

I can live with young players like Kelly having off nights like they did tonight - you don’t expect consistency over 46 games from a 19 year old, he’ll have the occasional off night but you’ve got to persevere with him. 

The whole back 4 had poor games tonight barring maybe Webster, but before that we hadn’t conceded a goal in 4 games from open play. Stick to what we know, I hope Johnson will have learnt from past mistakes and learnt the importance of consistency in selection.

Onto Friday, great chance to bounce back.

Hmm not sure I necessarily agree.

Didn’t LJ completely rip up what we had been doing when he changed the system against Sheff Utd? I think he received a lot of plaudits for that. 

It’s horses for courses in my view. Tactics will be different for different opposition. And sometimes, it won’t work. 

Kelly is very young and is playing a lot of football suddenly.

I was surprised he started last night as I thought Da Silva may have played in the rotation giving Kelly time to freshen up for Friday.

I think we can all see the merits of Kelly including the manager and coaches who have mentioned he has potential to go all the way to the top so resting him on Friday, if that happens, should not knock him at all - surely it is how you tell him and explaining why that is key?

Hmm not sure I necessarily agree.

Didn’t LJ completely rip up what we had been doing when he changed the system against Sheff Utd? I think he received a lot of plaudits for that. 

It’s horses for courses in my view. Tactics will be different for different opposition. And sometimes, it won’t work. 

He changed the system not the players. Maenpaa, Hunt, Webster, Kalas and Kelly were still 5 of the back 6. Can’t rip this up for Friday, we’ve got to stick with them.

He changed the system not the players. Maenpaa, Hunt, Webster, Kalas and Kelly were still 5 of the back 6. Can’t rip this up for Friday, we’ve got to stick with them.

Three games, two of them away in six days. That’s tough in any league let alone the Championship. 

Im a little surprised that LJ didn’t make more changes for the Baggies game given this weeks demands on the squad but that could reflect the fact he’s found his best 11.

The back four pretty much pick themselves as do Brownhill and Pack so if we see changes at Wigan it’ll be up top and out wide.

Wigan are no mugs either............

Listening to LJ's post match interview he said pretty much the same. You expect young players to make a mistake now and then - it's how they learn. He also made the same point about 3 clean sheets.

I actually thought he got it spot on. A big improvement over some previous occasions when he's called players out in public.

He might rest LK but, if we had the cover, I think he might be more likely to 'rest' Jack Hunt. He doesn't have the youth excuse and certainly made some errors.

I didn’t think Kelly was that bad last night? Yes he got tackled for the first goal but other than that, I thought he handled himself well. Certainly shouldn’t be dropped for that performance. 

Why do people use the word dropped? He is first choice left back now and will be for the majority of the season but we have  genuine quality back up in Da Silva - why bring him here if not to start occasionally and seamlessly slip in without weakening the side greatly.

Surely the purpose of a strong squad?

Kelly is not fully developed yet and 3 starts in 6 days is a drain on a young body no matter how athletic.

I would be swapping Webster and Kelly for Baker and Da Silva on Friday with both returning for Villa.

Rested should mean rested in a strong squad.

Archived