IGNORED

Tottenham v Watford

Arsene's Wanger

With Spurs attempting to look like a bigger bunch of Pikeys than the Gas by playing in the second of their three 'home' stadia this evening it got me thinking. How often have the away team been closer to the ground than the home team like Watford are tonight?

Truro's home is currently in Torquay over a hundred miles away, no idea who else is in their league though. 

Did the Gas ever have to play Bath City in a cup match during there time there? Has any team ever played their home games as far away as Truro are currently ?

18 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

With Spurs attempting to look like a bigger bunch of Pikeys than the Gas by playing in the second of their three 'home' stadia this evening it got me thinking. How often have the away team been closer to the ground than the home team like Watford are tonight?

Truro's home is currently in Torquay over a hundred miles away, no idea who else is in their league though. 

Did the Gas ever have to play Bath City in a cup match during there time there? Has any team ever played their home games as far away as Truro are currently ?

Torquay are in the same league as Truro.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think there was some Russian / Ukrainian club who played their games thousands of miles from their town / city.

Don’t Berwick play their games in another country? ?

Ah yes I remember this, they fly their players in because it’s not safe for them to live in the town.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think there was some Russian / Ukrainian club who played their games thousands of miles from their town / city.

Baltika Kaliningrad a few years ago had a 13,000 mile round trip for a league game.

Their closest away day that season was a 1000 mile round trip.

I remember seeing a story about some fans who drove the 13,000 mile trip, think they left 8 days before the game or something, and it was a 0-0 draw!

Edit- the 1000 mile closest game was for Luch, who Kaliningrad were playing, not Kaliningrad themselves.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Most of Anzhi Makhachkala’s players live and train in Moscow, and fly in to Makhachkala for Russian league games. When they qualified for the Europa league a few years back they played their European games in Moscow, as Dagestan is deemed to be too dangerous to visit by many western countries (the UK Foreign Office advise against all travel to Dagestan, and have for many years). 

For similar reasons, Shakhtar Donetsk are currently playing their league and European games in Kharkiv rather than in Donetsk. It’s a great shame as I went to the Donbass Arena twice in Euro 2012, and as new grounds go, it was one of the better ones. 

8 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I don't think its that, they didn't ask to rent Wembley for the league  cup games, presume for financial reasons. 

Or because WHL was supposed to be finished a fortnight ago so League cup would have been irrelevant. I guess it was never going to be ready so soon after the Joshua fight, but no one foresaw that it would be needed.

10 minutes ago, Offside said:

Presumably when they had spells playing at Selhurst Park Charlton and Wimbledon both had "home" games against Crystal Palace?

I`m not sure if they were in the same division - I know Charlton weren`t in the same one as West Ham when they played at Upton Park for a bit.

It`s one of those odd stats for me - I`ve seen us play Charlton at four grounds in the league (including AG). I think there`s only the s*gs,  Hull, Stoke and Bolton that I`ve also done that with (but you have to include Wembley) and only one that I`ve seen us play at five - Brighton at The Goldstone, Withdean, The Amex, AG and The Millennium).

1 hour ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Or because WHL was supposed to be finished a fortnight ago so League cup would have been irrelevant. I guess it was never going to be ready so soon after the Joshua fight, but no one foresaw that it would be needed.

I work with a Spurs fan (area I live/work in), and she showed me a video that someone had sent to her, who knows an electrician (I think) that was working on it at the time. He had taken a video and sent it to her friend. Anyway.....Wires everywhere, materials all over the place, builders all over the place, and then he took a walk on this skybar thing, which was only half complete. This was around May/June time maybe? 

There was absolutely no chance it was ever going to be ready for the start of this season, and if Spurs were actually being told it would be ready, then they're either gullible, or the project manager has a PHD in bullshit.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m not sure if they were in the same division - I know Charlton weren`t in the same one as West Ham when they played at Upton Park for a bit.

It`s one of those odd stats for me - I`ve seen us play Charlton at four grounds in the league (including AG). I think there`s only the s*gs,  Hull, Stoke and Bolton that I`ve also done that with (but you have to include Wembley) and only one that I`ve seen us play at five - Brighton at The Goldstone, Withdean, The Amex, AG and The Millennium).

Odd to relate but got dragged to watch Charlton at home to Palace in what would now be the Championship, at Selhurst Park. by a mate who was a mad Charlton fan. Had to look it up, but it was December 1989. 

3 hours ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

When Charlton Athletic shared the Boleyn Ground and Selhurst Park there were probably times when away fans were ‘closer’ ...

3 hours ago, North London Red said:

Most of Anzhi Makhachkala’s players live and train in Moscow, and fly in to Makhachkala for Russian league games. When they qualified for the Europa league a few years back they played their European games in Moscow, as Dagestan is deemed to be too dangerous to visit by many western countries (the UK Foreign Office advise against all travel to Dagestan, and have for many years). 

For similar reasons, Shakhtar Donetsk are currently playing their league and European games in Kharkiv rather than in Donetsk. It’s a great shame as I went to the Donbass Arena twice in Euro 2012, and as new grounds go, it was one of the better ones. 

Its government was dissolved in a major corruption investigation on 5 February 2018, and the region is currently under the direct control of the Russian government.

Archived