IGNORED

10 games In

Ivorguy

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why is lower midtable "probable" when our current points per game is that of upper mid table?

Any old excuse for the negativity it seems.

Maybe ...........he’s basing it on performances and quality rather than a mathematical multiplication to reach a points total 

Just now, KeepUpLino said:

At the end of the day James as true as the stats may be they don’t necessarily always tell us the full story... 

Play bad and win 1-0 every week you still get a title, however bad the performance was.

The fact is you have been looking at City in as negative a way as possible for quite a while now.

I look at things objectively, and will not ignore the bad when it happens.

I may not be able to attend regularly, I cannot help that I have had work nearly every time we've been at home this season. But I do watch each game in full once on BCTV and acknowledge the bad, whereas you focus on it and turn a blind eye to any positives.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is the true story?  I think all of us, inc James and you are saying the same thing, and that is that we are mixed and somewhere around mid-table.

If I dont throw in a criticism every line @KeepUpLino and @BobBobSuperBob seem to think that means that I think everything is perfect.

Particularly confusing from BBSB, as we have spoken at length about City in person in the past and he should know that isnt the case.

Getting rather fed up with it really.

People will spiel on about Villas squad blah blah

But if you didn’t know who they were tonight , ignore the names and the money spent

I personally thought they were the poorest of the sides to visit AG this season to date , certainly in terms of a real threat 

They were there for the taking at the back

They were poor and we were powder puff in terms of an attacking threat

We are what we are , and another point , but we looked two lower table sides tonight IMHO

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

People will spiel on about Villas squad blah blah

But if you didn’t know who they were tonight , ignore the names and the money spent

I personally thought they were the poorest of the sides to visit AG this season to date , certainly in terms of a real threat 

They were there for the taking at the back

They were poor and we were powder puff in terms of an attacking threat

We are what we are , and another point , but we looked two lower table sides tonight IMHO

I think Bruce went a bit defensive with his 433, and LJ a bit conservative with the discipline of his full-backs and midfield 2.  Resulted in a bit of a stalemate.

I’ll give LJ a bit of credit for that because on the back of two defeats, objective #1 was to not lose again.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If I dont throw in a criticism every line @KeepUpLino and @BobBobSuperBob seem to think that means that I think everything is perfect.

Particularly confusing from BBSB, as we have spoken at length about City in person and he should know that isnt the case.

Getting rather fed up with it really.

You repeatedly  use math,atical,calculations , points per game , managerial win stats but I can’t recall even constructive criticism let alone straight criticism or explained praise or analysis or dissect anything tactically or even individual players James

You continually make comment about others opinions when they have seen the game but you havnt

I get a bit fed up with that too James......

Enough of an explanation .?

I challenged you the other day on this and you said you hadn’t reviewed the game , but never came back with your thoughts after actually watching it 

Quelle surprise ....

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You repeatedly  use math,atical,calculations , points per game , managerial win stats but I can’t recall even constructive criticism let alone straight criticism or explained praise or analysis or dissect anything tactically or even individual players James

You continually make comment about others opinions when they have seen the game but you havnt

I get a bit fed up with that too James......

Enough of an explanation .?

I challenged you the other day on this and you said you hadn’t reviewed the game , but never came back with your thoughts after actually watching it 

Quelle surprise ....

Been doing the shifts of 3 other people the last few weeks so some things have slipped by me feel free to find that and tag me there so I can have a look at it.

Am working tomorrow and Sunday too, so will try and get a response for you by next weekend.

Have a look at the Plymouth match thread. I gave plenty from that game too...

I got a lot of respect for you, and am grateful for how you helped me out last season. But you are being unfair here. "Repeatedly use mathematical..."

Yes, once here...

"Managers win stats"

Brought up when people act as if the positive results didnt happen, generally when I bring it up its along the lines of "LJs overall record is X, Y, Z, despite such and such run".

The point there being to show that the wins are as common, if not more than the defeats.

The long winless runs are a concern, but I believe steps have been made to address this. If we can cut out the half hour defensive lapses we have had in recent games (Blackburn, WBA...) then you'd think such a scenario shouldn't occur again.

Hopefully you can see the criticism there....

Think it's been an okay 10 game start. Some good performances, some poor and some indifferent- bit of a mix really.

For example, Sheffield United given their likely playoff pushing status, that was good and strong tactically. WBA we probably deserved more than we got, surely at Bolton too.

OTOH, Boro at home a concern and Wigan away too- yet in the former a 2-1 loss may have been fairer and the latter we could certainly conceivably have got a point, but wouldn't necessarily have deserved it. On the flipside, while we were worthy winners v Blackburn, could be argued the margin a little flattering.

Overall still thinking around mid-table, certainly shouldn't go down in any case. Looking again at 4-4-2 might be worth considering as well IMO.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Been doing the shifts of 3 other people the last few weeks so some things have slipped by me feel free to find that and tag me there so I can have a look at it.

Am working tomorrow and Sunday too, so will try and get a response for you by next weekend.

Have a look at the Plymouth match thread. I gave plenty from that game too...

I got a lot of respect for you, and am grateful for how you helped me out last season. But you are being unfair here. "Repeatedly use mathematical..."

Yes, once here...

"Managers win stats"

Brought up when people act as if the positive results didnt happen, generally when I bring it up its along the lines of "LJs overall record is X, Y, Z, despite such and such run".

The point there being to show that the wins are as common, if not more than the defeats.

The long winless runs are a concern, but I believe steps have been made to address this. If we can cut out the half hour defensive lapses we have had in recent games (Blackburn, WBA...) then you'd think such a scenario shouldn't occur again.

Hopefully you can see the criticism there....

But it’s not as simple as now multiplying the current points total for the season to make. Ajudgement as you piped up with on this thread

At times last season this wonderful calculation  would have had us finishing in the top two 

For me the points total has in the main been slightly better than the performances perhaps justify (But very welcome points)

We aren’t a ‘poor’ side , we huff and puff and show flashes of real quality interplay at times but we also have a soft underbelly and lack characters and leadership IMHO we look a good side at times , an ordinary side at others and a poor side in spells too (Regularly all in the same game)

I thought we looked disjointed tonight , luckily so did Villa , If not more

We dug in tonight but we were IMHO  opinion a long way from being ‘good’ and (Purely based on tonight’s performance) probably looked a lower mid table side - thought we defended ok but looked powderpuff with the ball

The pre Xmas side of last season would have put Villla away comfortably tonight IMHO 

We aren’t pressing as well as we did and we certainly are not retaining possession anywhere near the levels we hit last season

Can we click - Possibly , but I think we are still missing a few key components 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Play bad and win 1-0 every week you still get a title, however bad the performance was.

The fact is you have been looking at City in as negative a way as possible for quite a while now.

I look at things objectively, and will not ignore the bad when it happens.

I may not be able to attend regularly, I cannot help that I have had work nearly every time we've been at home this season. But I do watch each game in full once on BCTV and acknowledge the bad, whereas you focus on it and turn a blind eye to any positives.

you work some funny hours I must say.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

P10 W4 D3 L3 Pts15.

I thought we had a tough start, and I expected 4-5 less points than we got.  There are positives, and negatives.  We are doing alright.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

In those 10 we have faced 2 of the relegated sides, and 3 of the teams expected to be pushing promotion this year (Boro, Forest and Villa) along with Sheffield United who are probably considered a playoff contender.

The facts don’t lie and 15 points seems to be a reasonable result. I don’t think we can read too much into these 10 games, but it’s the same old inconsistency that has me slightly worried. Four wins in a row in the middle of 6 other matches without a win. I feel that there are still a few too many players who can’t put in a good performance on a regular basis, so it’s a mid table finish for me. Considering the money spent by some clubs, such as Villa, that won’t be too bad 

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why is lower midtable "probable" when our current points per game is that of upper mid table?

Any old excuse for the negativity it seems.

I’m not as pessimistic as the OP, but when was the last time we improved as a result of the January transfer window? Other teams will likely pull away from us early next year. 

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Well, the marker of ten games has been reached.

Are We any wiser how the rest of the season will go? Probably not

In fact, these ten games sum up LJ's management of the club.  

At times, success seems within our grasp, at other disaster appears imminent

Same old City at this level: Lack of consistency, conceding as many goals as we score, recourse to hoof ball, lack of leadership on the field, failure to hold a lead, too many poor crosses etc etc

For us oldies we have been here too many times in the past, just waiting for the season that takes us back to our comfort zone of third tier.

But this season is unlikely to be that one.  Mid table finish looms, probably lower mid table, possibly higher mid table.  Will that lift morale for 2019/20 season? Almost certainly not.

Unlikely to be any change in coaching staff on this scenario.

Well, let's hope second set of ten games lifts our spirits, but we need a tighter defence, a sounder midfield, and a goal scoring forward (think Weismann has probably shot his bolt for the season)

Reality check, we are 4 points off the jeaders, have played four of the top six, and none of the bottom six.

Not so bad, is it?

...and we're sitting 8th. Would you rather we were rock bottom? I thought my Dad was a whinger at the footy but christ, get a grip.

We're doing alright and if we finished 8th then i'd take that right now, for another year of Championship experience and building.

Look at some of the other teams in this division, after 10 games they'd be snapping our hands off to swap places.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But it’s not as simple as now multiplying the current points total for the season to make. Ajudgement as you piped up with on this thread

At times last season this wonderful calculation  would have had us finishing in the top two 

For me the points total has in the main been slightly better than the performances perhaps justify (But very welcome points)

We aren’t a ‘poor’ side , we huff and puff and show flashes of real quality interplay at times but we also have a soft underbelly and lack characters and leadership IMHO we look a good side at times , an ordinary side at others and a poor side in spells too (Regularly all in the same game)

I thought we looked disjointed tonight , luckily so did Villa , If not more

We dug in tonight but we were IMHO  opinion a long way from being ‘good’ and (Purely based on tonight’s performance) probably looked a lower mid table side - thought we defended ok but looked powderpuff with the ball

The pre Xmas side of last season would have put Villla away comfortably tonight IMHO 

We aren’t pressing as well as we did and we certainly are not retaining possession anywhere near the levels we hit last season

Can we click - Possibly , but I think we are still missing a few key components 

Agreed on the possession front especially- seem a lot less fluid, cohesive that sort of thing- and even when we have had a fair bit, we have not seemed to do an awful lot with- we almost seem better without the ball at times. Even our great display at Swansea, definitely we had less of the ball.

Definitely thinking back to that 4-4-1-1 especially when we had all the injuries we're a long way off that fluency. We've now gone with a lot closer to a standard 4-4-2, and what we gained with orthodox wingers and more orthodox full backs as opposed to Wright, Magnússon, Brownhill and Bryan on the flanks, we've lost in terms of ability to come inside, out-number opposition with ease- an ability to shift shapes quickly in the same.

Our current more orthodox shape doesn't give us that ability IMO.

Archived